Do you have a dsignated 'Loaner' rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Do you have a dsignated 'Loaner' rifle?

Post by wm »

Just curious if any of you fellahs keep a rifle around as a loaner ……. the kind you loan to a guy at work or a nephew or cousin who is new to hunting or experiencing some hard times and needs to borrow a rifle?

I have two ….. a Type 38 Arisaka I rechambered to 6.5X55mm Mauser to clean up the sloppy 6.5X51mm chamber it originally had and a Mosin Nagant that was a Finnish Model 28 before someone bubbaed it into a sporter.

Both have Lyman Peep sights, no scope, and my home made braided para cord slings and Pachmayer recoil pads …… in other words pretty low tech, bare bones rifles but they shoot accurately and reliably. I supply the ammo too …… and all I ask in return is a little bit of meat. :D

So do you guys keep any rifles around just as loaners?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Do you have a dsignated 'Loaner' rifle?

Post by crs »

No.

If needed, I can select one that suits the person and situation.

There are also rifles that are NEVER loaned out.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I let a new hunter who was hunting on my property use my Ruger 77/44 with a NECG aperture sight on it, and he got his first deer with it. Then I bought him a breakdown 44 Mag.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As a lifelong machinist/mechanic I was very picky/protective about my tools. I am the same about my guns. If I loaned a firearm (and it would have to be with the ammo I use with the gun), it would have to be someone that I trusted explicitly, one familiar with the particular gun and a person that shared my philosophy about guns...

Needless to say, that list is very short...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'd like to say yes but I have to agree with COSteve. Here in Washington a law was recently passed making the loaning of firearms (even to extended family) all but illegal. Frankly I think it's stupid but it's the way things are now days.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Not a chance. If the person hurts themselves or others with your rifle, even through no fault of yourself, they will sue you until you have no more blood to bleed.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I used to, but ended up selling it to a former member here that had a family in need of a inexpensive hunting rifle. If the situation came up these days I would agree with CRS. Fit the needs of the individual to the firearm. Though, it would have to be someone that I know well and trust implicitly not to hurt themselves or others.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Not rifles but for small SSS jobs a .410 gets loaned out and for larger SSS jobs an old Baikal single 12g is on standby!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm.... "Loaned..."? As in come over to my house, borrow my rifle and take it hunting without me? On the first freezing day in Hades, maybe... but probably not! As opposed to when me and a hunting partner are on our annual pilgrimage to slay the mighty Great-grandfather of Bambi and his scope gets broken... no backup... scope or rifle?

Well, since I know my hunting partner can good-naturally withstand the onslaught of criticism, ridicule & scorn I will heap upon his careless, ill-equipped, & unprepared soul... then, sure, he can have my backup. (The non-scoped one, BTW!) :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No. No loaner guns, and don't loan guns. I have let my nephew use my deer rifle after I got my deer. But it came back worse for wear, so that ended.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Not a rifle but I have an old H&R single 20ga that has been all over town. I found another stock in my buddy's shed and cut it real short. I used to lend it to friends with young kids to learn to shoot and hunt with. It's been back home for quite a while now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Any time my brother deer hunts, which is about every other year. He uses my BLR in 308. My nephew is using my 30-30 this year, which was his grandfathers. I have a friend at work that is going throught hunter safety so he can hunt. I shoot with him monthly but he has never hunted. I will borrow him a deer rifle. But I know the gun skills of these people. I would never casually lend a gun to anyone I have not shot with. Not scared of lawyers, life is too short to worry about the unknown.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If the concern is just 'legal', then you could get around that by selling them the gun with first rights for buyback.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

NO!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Yes. It's a model 94 in 30-30 and has a receiver sight and a sling so the borrower can bring the rifle back while dragging their deer. I might even loan out a BLR if they beg a little.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:42 pm If the concern is just 'legal', then you could get around that by selling them the gun with first rights for buyback.
Wont fly in Washington. They've made it illegal to sell/transfer a gun without going through an FFL and filling out the paperwork even temporally. Even still, the few people I'd be willing to lend a gun too already have what they need.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Yes, a model 336 in 30-30 or 35 Rem w/a 2/7 Leupold that I loan to kids when I take them deer hunting for the first time on my farm. They are required to pass a marksmanship test so they usually go through at least a box of ammo with the training. For a couple of friends, they get anything they ask for except the full autos and suppressors.
It is not the critic who counts
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know anybody who does not have a gun..or let me clarify that...I don't deal with anyone who does not own a gun.

As far as loaning out anything, I have a simple policy....if it has an engine, license plate, a trigger or is worth more than $100, it don't get loaned out..period. The exceptions I make are Pitchy, Jay, (Old Win.) or Gunny. They can move into my house if they need to. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 pmI don't know anybody who does not have a gun..or let me clarify that...I don't deal with anyone who does not own a gun.
As far as loaning out anything, I have a simple policy....if it has an engine, license plate, a trigger or is worth more than $100, it don't get loaned out..period. The exceptions I make are Pitchy, Jay, (Old Win.) or Gunny. They can move into my house if they need to. :D ----6
And here I thought we were friends... :o :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 am
Sixgun wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 pmI don't know anybody who does not have a gun..or let me clarify that...I don't deal with anyone who does not own a gun.
And here I thought we were friends... :o :lol:
Griff,
Of course your in the group! So is Old Savage, Jason, fordwannabe, oh hell , everybody on Leverguns. We just signed the contract with the reality show people and you know how they are with how you present yourself around town and the company you keep. The four of us must have signed a hundred documents. I told them I was half Italian and that gave them the green light to take me over a barrel. I done wore out a brand new pen signing all that stuff.........what I did not tell them was the other half of my ethnicity...German.....I used disappearing ink. :D ...St. Adolf would have been proud!----6
Model A Uzi’s
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

everything I own, which is a 357 lever, a couple 22's and 410's.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

To a friend there is nothing I own I wouldn't let them use - firearm, vehicle, whatever. It's only stuff.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

ndcowboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 am To a friend there is nothing I own I wouldn't let them use - firearm, vehicle, whatever. It's only stuff.

Yes....I agree and often envy how it is to live in your neck of the woods..........people where you live are more honest and brotherly. You probably still don't lock your doors. Everybody waves at everybody even if you don't know them. I've been in those areas of the country and ponder sometimes, "this is how people should be". You may have one bad apple per small town. I wish it was like that here and it was, when I grew up in the late fifties, early sixties.

Here in southeast Pa. people have got nasty and if you don't start putting up barriers, you will get eat up in a heartbeat. I even had to put up driveway barriers because strangers would just "drive on up" to the house, banging on the door, pretending to ask directions or other b.s....when you tell them what they want, they just turn their back and drive out, often driving on your lawn because they are too lazy to back up. It has got so bad that family members sue one another....people staging accidents to collect ins., people bringing charges on one another claiming bodily harm or mental anguish.

Probably why I won't let anyone get close to me anymore....before you know it, you get a lawsuit thrown at you looking for an easy payout. I stopped loading ammo for people. I see my "friends" at the gunclub, then go home, not wanting anybody to follow me home. That's why I don't loan anybody anything anymore. MY gun, chainsaw, tractor, etc will somehow develop a maintenance issue that caused THEM an injury.

NDcowboy......feel fortunate where you live...and I'm sure you do.----6

Model A Uzi’s
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Sixgun,
I do feel very fortunate for where I live. Great neighbors just a few miles away - we all look out for each other and help is always only a phone call away.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've loaned things to people in the past. Guns. Tools. Books. Money.

Inevitably. once I am out of sight, my instructions and my wishes concerning my property are unimportant.

I've received everything I've ever loaned out (that I was able to get back) back damaged, poorly maintained, or... I've never seen it again.

They say don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose. Same goes for loaner items.

So... Never again.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Once, I lent my .54 T/C Renegade, that I put together from a kit, to a guy at work. It came back ruined. :evil: :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...I hear ya guys....here's another one I'm sure you can relate to:

This actually happened, is word for word, and......came from my own flesh and blood brother who owns two thriving True Value hardware stores.....it was about 20 years ago ......keep in mind I drove a forklift for 40 some years.

Phone rings:
"Hey Jack, can I borrow that 4 cavity Saeco mould for the 260 gr. Keith?"

Me,
"sure bro, come on over and get it".

Him,
"I can't right now, can you drop it off at dad's house this week and I'll pick it up there and beings you are over there once a week anyway and it will save me driving an additional 5 miles." (He lives about 25 miles away)

Me:
"Yea, sure."

He picks the mould up a week later.....mmmmmmmm. A month goes by and my dad calls me up:

My dad,
"Hey Jack, Robert dropped off a mould here for you."

Me,:
Ok dad, I'll be over in a couple of days to get it."

In a few days, I go over to my dad's, sit down, pop the tab off of a beer..or two...open the bag with the mould in it and it did not seem right....the spur plate was swinging freely. I held it up to the light and there was light coming from the junction of the "halves". Ruined.....the spue plate was warped, along with the blocks from over heating.

I called my brother:

Me:
"Hey Rob, what the hell happened to the mould"..... and explained how it was no longer any good.

Him:
"Aaaahhhh, just send it back to the factory and let me know how much it costs."

Me:
"F. Y. M. F." ------6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I gifted a used single shot .22lr to a friend who has posted on here. He taught a grandchild to shoot with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:48 pm Once, I lent my .54 T/C Renegade, that I put together from a kit, to a guy at work. It came back ruined. :evil: :evil:

Knowledgeable "Gun" people are the worst re. black powder firearm care. They simply balk at the idea of the use of water in gun cleaning.

We were talking muzzleloading at church recently and they thought me a dolt because I used traditional designs and they modern, scoped inlines. I lost the few traditionalists in the conversation when I mentioned the use of double ball loads. Then I finally walked away in disgust. They thought severe rust and pitting and short gun life was just part of the game. They all cleaned with hoppes and rem oil ! The thought of applying water to a firearm was/is abhorrent to them.

There is a guy on every gun board or f.b. group that says : "Water is the enemy of metal. I use solvent and oil just like they did 150 years ago." What he misses is the solvent was water and the oil rendered from the blubber of sperm whale or the fat of bruins.

1/10 to 1/7 blend of ballistol/water is the best of both worlds. The water flushes away fouling and neutralizes the salts and acids and evaporates leaving a film of paraffin to lube and protect.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is 1 person to whom I would loan any of my fireaems without question. I bought 2 guns off of him. He has enough guns that I don't think he would need a loaner, but he would get the loan if he asked.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I know two guys that I would trust with my life, never mind my stuff. They can borrow or have any of it they want. (I feel blessed to have a couple of friends like that) That said, I don't have any loaner firearms, but there are a few guys on this forum I'd loan what I have to, but those few probably wouldn't need 'em. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

claybob86 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:12 am I know two guys that I would trust with my life, never mind my stuff. They can borrow or have any of it they want. (I feel blessed to have a couple of friends like that) That said, I don't have any loaner firearms, but there are a few guys on this forum I'd loan what I have to, but those few probably wouldn't need 'em. :)
That's the best answer yet! Well said Claybob! I agree -----6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:48 pm Once, I lent my .54 T/C Renegade, that I put together from a kit, to a guy at work. It came back ruined. :evil: :evil:

Knowledgeable "Gun" people are the worst re. black powder firearm care. They simply balk at the idea of the use of water in gun cleaning.

We were talking muzzleloading at church recently and they thought me a dolt because I used traditional designs and they modern, scoped inlines. I lost the few traditionalists in the conversation when I mentioned the use of double ball loads. Then I finally walked away in disgust. They thought severe rust and pitting and short gun life was just part of the game. They all cleaned with hoppes and rem oil ! The thought of applying water to a firearm was/is abhorrent to them.

There is a guy on every gun board or f.b. group that says : "Water is the enemy of metal. I use solvent and oil just like they did 150 years ago." What he misses is the solvent was water and the oil rendered from the blubber of sperm whale or the fat of bruins.

1/10 to 1/7 blend of ballistol/water is the best of both worlds. The water flushes away fouling and neutralizes the salts and acids and evaporates leaving a film of paraffin to lube and protect.
A large coffee can full of boiling water was my go to. The heat let the metal dry off, and a ever so light coat of some lube kept it protected from rust. I may try to clean up my old project someday...I was so disgusted when I got it back. Even the adjustable trigger was all screwed up.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Yes I do. Just got it back from a good friend I loaned it to for an elk hunt.....20 years ago.
Rem 700 30-06 that I glass bedded and tune up. Very accurate.

Dennis.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I did, but I don't. I got a great deal on a pre-64 Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special about twenty years ago. I decided to leave it with my uncle on whose farm I have hunted since I was a teenager. He is the one who taught me to hunt and who I hunted with for over 30 years. Some of my younger cousins, and quite a few of my cousins' kids, used that rifle for their first deer hunting season.

After my uncle passed away, the folks who borrowed that rifle apparently did not get the guidance, directions and the "rules" about proper care and cleaning of a rifle that my uncle used to enforce. Then my aunt asked me to take it out of the house as she didn't want something to happen to it. So, that was my chance to bring it home and spend some quality time on it.

So, I did have a loaner for many years, but I don't now.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams