Winchester 94 .30-30 with light loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Winchester 94 .30-30 with light loads

Post by David LaPell »

I took my Model 94 out yesterday with the 110 grain Speer LRN bullets and 30.0 grains of Reloader 7, which is on the very low end of that load. It shot high, to be expected and when I finally got a decent 6 o'clock hold figured out, it shot some pretty wide groups and to the left. Compare that to the 170 grain loads, both shot at 25 yards and then out to 125 grain yards with the 170 grain loads. My guess is the 110 grain bullets are too light and are moving too fast for the rifling to really stabilize them.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 94 .30-30 with light loads

Post by Catshooter »

I have used the Lyman 3118 over five grains of Red Dot. About 5/8ths at 50 and 1 1/2 at 100. They run at about 1220 fps.

I like 'em!

Cat
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm assuming a Speer LRN is not a lead bullet but a jacketed bullet? Because a lead bullet might not even stay on the paper at that velocity level.

I load a 30 carbine 110 grain roundnose jacketed bullet occasionally. From my notes, accuracy improved dramatically as I went up from 30 grains to 32 grains of RL7. You might try that.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Whoa! I didn't realize Speer made a Lead Round Nose bullet but have since been educated. So belay my "a little more RL-7" advice. I am most impressed that bullet even stayed on the paper at your velocity somewhere in the vicinity of 2400 fps.

That soft lead bullet is built for about half that velocity. I'd guess Catshooter's load suggestion would get you muuuuch better results. And be real fun to shoot.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Isn't that 110 half jacket the bullet they sold for the 30 carbine, think they called it the Plinker?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 am Isn't that 110 half jacket the bullet they sold for the 30 carbine, think they called it the Plinker?
That's the one -- back when I was just starting reloading and didn't have a powder measure I shot a bunch of those Speer plinkers. I could pour the case almost full of 3031 and seat my plinker on top and have quite the zippy little shooter. Made some lucky shots with that combo -- running jack rabbits, flying magpies -- young eyes and faster reflexes.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I thought so! Yes I used to send them outta my 06 at prairie dogs. Zippy for sure!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've been experimenting with some .311 muzzle loader balls seated atop 30 WCF case with 4 grains of Unique. The balls weigh about 42 grains so I've more or less duplicated a 22lr load. At 30 yards I get a 2 inch group.

I previously tried similar experiments with #0 buck shot but accuracy was erratic due to irregularity of the buck shot. Not too erratic for plinking just too erratic for small game hunting.

I'm going to try some 2400 next and see if I can get better groups. I think the low volume of powder in the case is detrimental to consistent pressure curves and maybe a little bulkier powder will help.

Maybe TrailBoss is the ultimate answer...… It is kind of a ongoing experiment in which the pursuit of data & the act of research is the goal rather then a conclusive answer.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I like the Speer Plinkers in a .308 carbine for a barn yard load. The lead is so soft those bullets all but disintegrate nearly eliminating the chance for a ricochet (though not completely negating it). Havent gotten around to loading them in anything else but a .30-30 and a .30-40 are both on my short list.