Shot silhouette with 30/30 yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Shot silhouette with 30/30 yesterday

Post by earlmck »

Our local shootin' group is having the last shoot of the year this week-end. I went out yesterday and shot with the boys (and a girl) in their "big lever" category. This is the first time I have shot in this match; until now I have been just shooting pistol-caliber lever which they do on the Sunday. I no longer have a "big" lever but they let you sneak in with a 30/30 so thought I'd give it a go. I am embarrassed to admit I had never shot the old girl out much past 100 yards, let alone to 500 yards.
Here's the weapon -- Marlin 336A, 1950 manufacture.
Marlin30309616.jpg
And a closer shot of the ammo: 180 grain Loverin goobered with some LBT Blue and seated out to almost engage. 18.5 grains 4759 for about 1750 fps, and at this length you load 'em one at a time and hope you don't have to get one back out without shooting it.
Marlin30309617.jpg
Shoots pretty good to 200 yards but I think I must be spraying a little by 500. I dropped a shot at 300, another at 400, and a couple at the 500 for a 16/20 score (we shoot sitting or prone with cross sticks). I was plumb tickled with that score and got to ogle a bunch of nifty old rifles the other shooters were using. And talk levers and cast bullets and generally have a good time.

A little more load development and I'll be ready to really clean their clock by the time we shoot again next April :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot silhouette with 30/30 yesterday

Post by fordwannabe »

Earl, please keep us up to date on your load development for the old girl. I am interested as I may have a Marlin like that, or maybe two :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Wow! Pretty good I'd say considering the unknown. I'm excited to hear of any load developments also. Sounded like you had a great time. :mrgreen:
My first child - '94 30-30
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What great looking thutty thutty! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, was this at the COSSA range out there near Millican? Some fine folks shoot out there. I'd be pretty pleased with your score!

8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:25 amI'd be pretty pleased with your score!
8)
+1!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Earl that's really good for the first time out. There's always a lot to learn. I shot some benchrest rimfire matches a few years ago and I was surprised at how fast I learned some of the fine points of the game.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:25 am Earl, was this at the COSSA range out there near Millican? Some fine folks shoot out there.
That's it Bill. I don't know why I hadn't got with those folks years ago: guess I had just heard about them shooting the BPCR thing and I don't have one of those. But dang, they also do the pistol cal levers and quarter bore and military bolt and trapdoor and big lever and military single shot -- all cool stuff. I gotta' get more rifles limbered up for next year with that bunch. You get back to Oregon you can join in again -- at least three of the regulars that I have met come down from Washington: pull fifth-wheels and camp for the three day shoot.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's some fine shooting Earl with a 30-30 and cast bullets. If you double the 16/20 you get 32/40 if your shooting 40 shots. At the Ridgway Levergun Jubilee I got 21 x40 and past years got only 16/40 and an 18/40 but I was using the 1881 Marlin in 40-60.

We use the bench also but with no support other than what the Good Lord gave you, along with jacketed bullets if you so choose.

Last year a guy with a 99 in 300 Savage with a 3x9 Leupold won it with a 31x40 using jacketed bullets.----6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 pm That's some fine shooting Earl with a 30-30 and cast bullets. If you double the 16/20 you get 32/40 if your shooting 40 shots. At the Ridgway Levergun Jubilee I got 21 x40 and past years got only 16/40 and an 18/40 but I was using the 1881 Marlin in 40-60.
Naw, that's apples to oranges 6. We're shooting quite a lot larger targets (buffalo cut-outs) sized down depending on the range. And these folks shoot iron sights only, and cast bullets only except for the military bolt, and for that they shoot a round gong -- they don't want jacketed dinging up these buffalo cut-outs. Good fun and good folks but nothing remotely NRA sanctioned.

And today I re-learned what I was already afraid of -- on anything other than a nice cloudy-bright day my eyes are not to be trusted with shooting the iron sights. I shot my Henry 22, Win 92 25/20, and Rossi 357 in our 50 to 200 yard shoot. Heavy overcast day, occasional rain, dab of wind but not enough to be much of a factor. And I shot very poorly. With the Henry 22 and the 25/20 especially I have no excuse for ever missing. But I went ahead and did plenty of missing: these old eyeballs are kinda' letting me down. And my Friday shoot with the 30/30 was a fairly heavy overcast day and I'm guessing that what I thought was the load not shooting up to snuff was this old kid's eyes not being up to snuff. The 30/30 load is probably just fine for the 500 yard shooting; just needs a better shooter. Not to say I won't try some load development and report back but I have this fear that unless I have really perfect light I am no longer able to detect a really good load from a kinda' good load when using iron sights.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That's 8)
Great going Earl.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya on the eyes Earl.......yep, an overcast day makes for a happy day on the gun range.----6
Model A Uzi’s