More barn pictures

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

More barn pictures

Post by 2ndovc »

:D

Our excavator and concrete guys poured the new floor today. Raining, nasty day but they threw a ton of plastic over the roof and did a great job.
Roofer was going to start today too but put us off due to the rain. What a sissy! :D

Anyway, looks great and 6" thick on top of 12" of limestone!

Someone has to clean up this mess!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: More barn pictures

Post by OldWin »

Very nice! Good for you buddy. When I built my garage my dad told me to just put a post on all 4 corners of my property and build a roof over it. He said it still wouldn't be big enough. :D
I should've listened more growing up. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dern nice floor, gonna be a heck of a shop. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay, that's for sure. The things my dad told me about, I did listen (mostly).

Houses, and property and good Winchesters. He and I went to a small show today. Nothing there, we had breakfast afterwards but he couldn't wait to get back to my place to check on the concrete guys! Gave them a big thumbs up for doing such a nice job for me.

Hopefully our kids will listen someday.

Thanks Pitchy!
Can't wait to start building my new workbench.
jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Happiness is a nice clean concrete floor! Make sure you autograph & date the 1st oil spill - for prosperity!
It's coming together very nicely, sure hope you get it weathered in before the snow flies.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's sealed up pretty well. Overhead doors are ordered and all the roofing materials are here. I just can't do that stuff anymore. I used to be able to do a roof that size in a day. Just ain't gonna happen at 50+. We're still debating how to side it. The triple 3 siding on the house has been long since discontinued. Thinking a vinyl shake with a faux stone front elevation. We'll see what Bubbles wants.

jb 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We made the mistake of not telling the concrete guys to be sure the floor was above grade on all sides of the barn, so the part we would drive into was only an inch or so above the gravel level there.

We eventually solved the problem with a bulldozer by pushing all of the gravel out of the way digging down the driveway and making drainage gullies, then pushing all the gravel back in place. Until then melting snow or heavy rain would puddle in under the door and create glaze ice. I

I also think if I did it over again I would probably slope the 'parking' part of the floor a little bit because there is still condensation from the roof and other times that water gets in dripping off of vehicles or whatever, and it would be nice to have just a little slope on that part of the floor.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You might tell them to leave that skidsteer for when all that snow slides off in front of the doors. :D
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks great Jason....the concrete does make a nice floor...lots of people omit that to save money which I think is stupid.

Like Jay says, you will never have enough room....take a pic a year from now and you will see what I mean.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is super impressive 8) .
I would live in there, Mrs can have the rest of the house!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Kinda how I feel, too. :D

Thanks for all the nice words guys. This thing had been a long time plan and I'm thrilled that it's finally up and the end is in sight.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
Once the building is done, the real work is getting it all set up how you want.
Wrenching on my old Jeep in the garage is almost as fun as being in the gunroom. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have it pretty well laid out. Wall opposite the windows is going to be one long workbench and cabinets above it. I'm going to put in an exhaust fan at one end for my new casting bench. I have been hoarding moulds, lead, etc. for years waiting for this. I'm not very good at yet but I'll get better eventually.

I also have stored at one of my dad's buildings a fireproof file cabinet. Going to store most of my powder out there. It's always made me nervous having all that stuff in the basement.

jb 8)

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man that's a nice building but why a 6" floor? You gonna park a bulldozer in there? My garage floor has 1" slope down to the overhead doors.
Old dead refrigerators are good for storing paint, powder and welding rod. Cheap too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My guy offered to pour a six inch floor for the same price as a 5" so I figured, why not. May just end up with a Panzer or a halftrack someday. :D

They did bevel off the last 12" in front of the doors to help with overhead door seal. Doors are going to be 8' also, just never know what I'll bring home.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason....not to mention code .....if your using cement.....which is probably 4-5" anyway...ya done right. I know this is too late for you....... A buddy of mine, who likes to wrench had a pit put in before the cement......little set of steps and down the hole. That ain't for me, stumbling home drunk and plop!

And JAY......for years I loved to wrench and like you, almost as much fun as guns.....but something happened, probably because I HAD to wrench to stay alive, I started to hate it and now only do oil changes, tire rotations etc.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm no mechanic. I can put air in my tires and check the oil but that's about it. Give me a little outboard or a dirt bike with two cylinders or less and I'm good. After that I'm out. More than happy to pay someone who knows what their doing. Wouldn't know what to do with a mechanic's pit or a lift. If your house burns down, I'm your guy!

I start tomorrow working for a new company. They tracked me down and threw a ton of $ at me to come in and take over the construction side of their restoration co. I took the summer off to put up the barn and do a couple small projects. I was starting to get bored and this new outfit came along just at the right time.

Been a crazy summer. Happy it's over, though. Cleaning out my mom's place and selling the house sucked big time. I still have a storage unit full of antiques and stuff I don't know what to do with. We started with two though, so we're getting there.

jb

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey now that sounds like a good gig! I've always enjoyed restoration work. Something about being in touch with the past craftsmen. Any nitwit can lay shingles or hang vinyl siding- takes some brains to reverse engineer the quality of yesteryear. A ton of money to boot- GOOD FOR YOU Jason !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Will. I've been doing this stuff for twenty plus years. The owner/ big money guy asked me during our last meeting why I didn't want to be an owner. I told him that worrying about where I was going to $5-10k every Monday morning for payroll on Friday wore me out. Not a stress I want anymore. Let someone else pay those bills! :D

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear that! That's kinda why I've kinda decided to specialize by doing custom work. The folks that want speciality stuff have the pesos!
Sounds like it's going to be interesting and fun for you, keep us up on projects please.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!