Winchester 1885 Low Wall

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Winchester 1885 Low Wall

Post by David LaPell »

I picked this gun up earlier this year that was pretty much ignored by everyone at my local gun shop. A Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .32-20 that the serial number puts as being made in 1889. I got a letter from Cody on it and it's original except the Lyman sight was added. I had to replace one of the springs later on because it broke, but it shoots wonderfully, the group size at 25 yards is pretty much coverable with a quarter with factory ammo and my 115 grain handloads. I plan on taking it out hunting a lot this year.

This is my homemade bison silhouette (not life size obviously) and off a set of shooting sticks at 50 yards.

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 1885 Low Wall

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's a nice rifle in a nicer caliber...if your ever selling, I'm buying. How's the bore condition? -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow, that's really nice. And in a fun chambering.
"Ignored at the local gun shop"? :shock:
I need to visit that place. We'd all be fighting over it in the little hole in the wall shop I frequent.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Anyone expecting to find good guns at good prices in a gunshop are dreamers. The best guns at the best prices are most always found at estate sales and hole in the wall local auctions. It takes time and diligence to find these sales/auctions, both of which I seldom do anymore, but perseverance pays off. Probably 75% of my guns came from such places.

Lord! It is hard to hold a poker face while examining these guns at 10cent sales/auctions while others are eyeballing your every move hoping to learn something. Some years back, during the preview I knew I was going to have a hard time getting this 97% 1895 takedown at a hillbilly auction. I was dressed up real nice in a pair of jeans and a t shirt and it must have drawn attention to me because the others were watching me and asking questions. :D The 1895 was a 30-06 takedown with a Lyman 21 sight and I told the inquisitive people that the barrel was cut down as all 1895's had 28" barrels. :D they all believed it and I got the gun for $600. Some even asked what that little "sliding latch" was for. It was the takedown button. I told em it was an aftermarket alternation that some country gunsmith must have installed.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice, i had one just like it 20 some years ago but sold it. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Nice piece. I have the same year and caliber but with an octagon barrel. It’s going out squirrel hunting soon.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Beautiful Low Wall, and one of my favorite calibers too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/