Remington 700 triggers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 700 triggers

Post by marlinman93 »

The newly reformed Remington Firearms Co. has announced it will repair all Model 700 triggers today! Here's a link to the claim process if you own a Rem. 700:
remingtonfirearmsclassactionsettlement.com/
Mine has never given me a problem, but I'll get it replaced anyway.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington 700 triggers

Post by GunnyMack »

Yet Winchester would NOT fix one of their safety's! Buddy of mine sent his in because you could not put the safety in the safe position! Talk about a liability issue!!
He brought it to me, I diagnosed and found that the 3 position safety was never final fit and polished- it works now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

So only 56 years after issuing a rifle with what their own records show they knew at the time was a faulty and unsafe trigger, they decide to fix 'em. Good news, but hardly praiseworthy...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

it will be interesting to see what happens now.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Interesting.
I have 3 M700's that I purchased in the late-70's, early 80's. Guess I'll have to dig them out and see if the serial numbers are included in this.
Wonder how long my rifles will be gone if I do choose to have them retrofitted, and whether or not the "new" trigger will be any good..??
Just curious at this point. Thank you for that link. I wasn't aware that any kind of settlement had been reached on the issue.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I also wonder if it will cover triggers which were not Factory adjusted? One of my m700s had a faulty trigger. I went online and searched how to fix it. I adjusted the 3 screws on the trigger and fixed it. It was the screw which adjusts the tension on the sear. It was only held in place by that plastic that Remington puts on to cover the screw head to show if it was "tampered with". I screwed it in and used loctite once I found how far to go on each one to make the sear hold when dropped on the shoulder pad from 3 feet. The trigger pull is now about 5 pounds and much better. It was probably 12 pounds at first with a takeup so mushy that you couldn't tell when it went off. No wonder Timney and so many others are prospering. If Remington would have fixed the trigger long ago, they probably could have kept enough market share to not go bankrupt. Just my opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Screw Remington and the horse they rode in on. Just go buy a Timney Trigger and bypass the problem. That's what I did.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned several Remington 700 rifles, and never had a trigger issue with any. I signed up for the recall, but wont be the first to take part. My 700-VSF is wonderful trigger, so I'll wait to see the feedback posted as they begin to replace triggers, and if the new triggers have great reports I'll have it done.
I chose to have it done at local authorized repair station, so once it's confirmed I wont have to send it off to Remington.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/