New gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

New gun.

Post by piller »

Sorry for the lack of pictures. My phone doesn't upload to Leverguns. I just got a Ruger GP100 6 shot stainless with a 6 inch barrel. CDNN Sports had it on their website for a price I couldn't pass up. My final cost after tax, shipping, and LGS fee for paperwork transfer was less than the price at Academy Sports & Outdoors sell it for before tax. Plus, there was no 2 hour wait at Academy while waiting for a member of management to walk it to the front for me to be able to leave the store with my purchase. The LGS is a tiny one just up I35E from me about 5 minutes. He will order whatever you want as long as you are legal to purchase it. I need to get my computer working so that I can post pictures by cropping them. That Ruger is begging to go to the range.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New gun.

Post by Nath »

:D :mrgreen:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

If I had a six inch gp100, I would be deer hunting with it. 158gr. gold dots sound right.

I have had a fixed sight 3" gp100 for about 14 years.....

The only ammo i ever remember shooting out of it was factory pmc 158gr. soft points and winnie white box air force load .38s. Not shot very many times.

I have no idea where it is. Lot of clutter in the ray cave. Then again, #1 son is an incorrigible borrower of my (he says ours) guns and ammunition.
IMG_20161213_173053_hdr_kindlephoto-361953540.jpg
Old photo when it was ready for action and i obviously knew it's location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congrats Piller 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way Cool!!

I've recently gotten back into .357s after a long time without one. I was really giving the Rugers some serious thought when I came across the S&W that I ended up with.

Have fun!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Congrats piller. I've been shooting one of those for something over 25 years. My very favorite revolver: nothing but full-throttle + a bit more for the first 10 years but I have since dialed that back to moderate 357 loads. Those babies are tough and good.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Congrats.
Looking forward to pix and range report - after monsoon season.

I too, have located such a practical source of new firearms. Also a FFL where I can have purchases of bulk ammo and used guns shipped. Gun store with good prices, gun range, gun smith - all in one place. Whats not to like?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have a 4" blued steel GP100 that I bought to take the place of a 4" Python that I retired.

It's a shooter. My favorite revolver.

It's a purchase that I doubt you'll ever regret.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:23 pm
My final cost after tax, shipping, and LGS fee for paperwork transfer was less than the price at Academy Sports & Outdoors sell it for before tax.

Plus, there was no 2 hour wait at Academy while waiting for a member of management to walk it to the front for me to be able to leave the store with my purchase.

He will order whatever you want as long as you are legal to purchase it.

Good on you !

An excellent example of why it's much better to support your local business', ILO some national chain big-box store.

I patronize the little guys even though it may sometimes cost me a bit more.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Once monsoon season is over, yes it will be going to the range. I plan on hunting with it. An easy to change out fiberoptic front sight is going to happen soon. The GP 100 front sights are probably as easy to change as any sight on any gun. I want to know what weight bullet it likes. Factory loads until I get a set of dies for it.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:23 pm Sorry for the lack of pictures. My phone doesn't upload to Leverguns. I just got a Ruger GP100 6 shot stainless with a 6 inch barrel. CDNN Sports had it on their website for a price I couldn't pass up. My final cost after tax, shipping, and LGS fee for paperwork transfer was less than the price at Academy Sports & Outdoors sell it for before tax. Plus, there was no 2 hour wait at Academy while waiting for a member of management to walk it to the front for me to be able to leave the store with my purchase. The LGS is a tiny one just up I35E from me about 5 minutes. He will order whatever you want as long as you are legal to purchase it. I need to get my computer working so that I can post pictures by cropping them. That Ruger is begging to go to the range.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've been on the cusp of getting another handgun. 357 is a given and I'm torn about which one I want. A 10mm Glock is not out of the question, either, and I'd prolly mount a good optic on it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I had my 10mm Rock Island 1911 with me up at the Boar's Nest. 10mm and .357 are both good calibers. Lots of "my dad can beat up your dad" arguments over which is better. I don't care. I have 1 of each now and plan on using them. Probably next year I will get a .357 model 92, and a 10mm carbine conversion or a Hi Point 10mm carbine. That way I will be ready for almost anything.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Other than the hearing-damage if fired without protection, I've been impressed with my Ruger Speed-Six I've had for three decades or so. Built like a TANK, and reliable as sunrise, it ALWAYS goes bang, and the 357 Mag 125 JSP has the most proven bad-guy-stops ever.

The GP-100 is the further refinement of the Speed-Six and Security-Six lines.

When I tell patients who are just starting to get personal protection firearms what I would recommend, it is a GP-100 or Speed-Six (using 38 Special factory loads).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Since mine is only 3" barreled, am thinking, after watching scores of jello videos that the barnes 140gr. xpb might be the right factory load for deer/pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAAYUIbAMgw
m.A.g.a. !