External Hammer Shotguns: "CZ Hammer Classic" (AFTER added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

External Hammer Shotguns: "CZ Hammer Classic" (AFTER added)

Post by Old No7 »

Lately, I've been wanting to get an external hammer shotgun -- not a "need", but an honest-to-goodness "want". And I'm thinking this one will be fun to use on the clays fields or in the woods...

* * "AFTER" Images added below * * (in #14)

( Click on any image to enlarge it )
CZ Hammer Classic 01.jpg

That's the "CZ Hammer Classic" in 12 ga, with a tang safety (not automatic), rebounding hammers, 30" barrels and 5 screw-in choke tubes. Specs say the weight is 7.5 pounds and while I haven't weighed the gun yet, I already know the trigger pulls are much heavier that that! Not good... I'll likely send it off to CZ to have their U.S.-based gunsmith tune 'em up, as I've read they do a nice job of it -- all done under warranty -- and their turnaround is pretty quick.

Yes, there are much better doubles out there, let's put that aside right away. For sure, I've spent hours over the past few weeks drooling over some 2,000 GBP to 25,000 GBP vintage British bespoke doubles, as well as some Wunderbar German doubles -- all of which were too pricey for my meager budget. Plus, I wanted the flexibility to use Full choke for trap, Mod & IC for clays or game, and IC & C for skeet. Briley had quoted me a price of $600+ to reline a fine old English 16ga (Damascus) vintage double ('twas a beautiful gun) down to 28ga with screw-in chokes, but I didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, I know all about the quality level to expect from CZ as I had a Bobwhite SxS 20ga for a number of years which served me really well. It was well made and finished pretty well, as is this one too (for the price point, that is); although I may try to darken the wood finish on this one, as it's a little too light for my tastes. The checkering is rather "flat" too, so maybe I'll point them up some with the checkering tools I have; that and the stock finish might become a fun winter project after the triggers are done. One of the gang over on ShotgunWorld cut off the pistol grip on his to make it into a straight English stock, with re-cut checkering added back, but I think that's off the table for me. We'll see...

For now, I'll take her out in the woods as-is tomorrow on a scouting trip and see if I can't scare up a partridge or a squirrel to bag. Then next week, there's a trap shoot on Thursday so I'll give it a whirl. No idea how she'll shoot, but it will be different for sure!

More pix follow below. Tight groups,

Old No7

CZ Hammer Classic 02.jpg
CZ Hammer Classic 03.jpg
CZ Hammer Classic 04.jpg

CZ Hammer Classic 05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: External Hammer Shotguns: "CZ Hammer Classic"

Post by Pete44ru »

I intend to use this 20ga hammer gun during the small game season opener this weekend - Good Luck with yours !

Image Image

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Cool guns guys.They Look at home in the woods too.

Did you notice the hammers on the .45-70 double in the Boars Nest hog hunt story? Also looked at home in the woods.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very pretty..

I don't know if there's anything that says "Classy" more than a gentleman in the field with a side by side 12b. Even more so with a case hardened receiver and side hammers.

I've always wanted an O/U 20 gage. That's getting higher up on the list as I get older. Problem is a Benelli M4 keeps screaming "Me Next!".

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice, nothing like a double barrel and pretty ones besides. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl, if your budget is as tight as mine you'd be looking for a Toz66 made in the USSR, built like a WW2 tank and cheap as chips.
I read one review where the guy said it required 11 men to cock his, mine is nearly as bad but I still love it.
It's the third one I've owned, the first I cut down for cowboy action shooting and the second was bought by a movie company for a lot more than I paid for it.

My second Russian 16 gauge. I apologize for the old photo.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

That's a fine looking shotgun. Redoing the checkering and refinishing will push it over the top.

Hoyt is currently relining a 12 ga. Belgan hammer double for me, $125 a tube, no choke. It's too thin to do as a 12 but he might be able to do a 16, won't know till he starts on it. If he can't it'll come back as a 20 which will be fine by me. If it ends up as a 20 I'll take it to my favorite smith and see if there is enough meat in the liners to add screw in chokes.

R. A. Bobby Hoyt
Freischutz Shop
2379 Mt. Hope Rd.
Fairfield, PA 173210-9756
(717) 642-6696
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The CZ guns have pretty decent case colors for sure. I have a Bobwhite .410, better that normal wood. However when I got the gun it needed a good going over on the internals, 10 & 11 lbs trigger pulls! The inside of the receiver was never deburred and the triggers and sears were dragging . Just by cleaning and stone work I got the pills down to about 5-6 lbs without touching sear faces.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice choice, Darryl. I also have a soft spot for hammer doubles, and have had some inexpensive Belgian guild guns as well as two or three of the Husqvarna Lefaucheaux hammer doubles. The barrels on those babies sure heat up when shooting clays!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Thanks a lot ! I read this and once again I’m looking for a Parker Grade 2 12 gauge top lever hammer gun . Already have several 10’s but no 12’s to date .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have the CZ 12ga Hammer Coach Gun. Nice quality and it shoots!!

Don
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nobody on here said anything about need. If you want it, we will all support your decision to get it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks nice Daryl.
A bit heavy mind.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well gang...

Jim O at Highland Crest Stockfitters did an awesome job of cutting down the pistol grip, reshaping the English grip, recutting the checkering (and also on the forearm), restaining it, then finishing it with Tung Oil and adding a recoil pad too (as the original butt plate was metal). And he did it all with a very reasonable turnaround time and price too. I am really pleased with my "English" Turkish-made CZ Hammer Classic.

The original wood must be one of those Baltic hard birch varieties -- like those used on some Swedish Mausers -- as they just don't take the stains very well... I wanted this stock to be darker and richer looking, but it's a problem with the wood itself -- not with the restocker I selected. He did an amazing job for me. Some day I may try to darken it with either alcohol-based stains or maybe leather dye, but for now, I'm just going to get it out to shoot! Crow season comes up in February, so for sure I'll get it out then.

The "Before" pictures are up above...

Here are two AFTER photo's:

CZ Hammer Classic 06.jpg

CZ Hammer Classic 07.jpg

Good shootin' to all!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: External Hammer Shotguns: "CZ Hammer Classic" (AFTER added)

Post by Old No7 »

I forgot to add...

CZ's Gunsmith also worked on the triggers under warranty and I had it back in less than 2 weeks, with 7 pounds on each trigger -- as compared to the "12+ pounders" that it had before (and I'm talking about trigger pulls -- NOT naval cannons!)

Now I just need to shoot something classy with it!

Who knows, maybe a mid-winter pheasant hunt on an area preserve, since we don't have much snow cover now.

Old No7
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice!

GK,
The 16ga is my favorite.
Oh, and love the Rover! Good stuff!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I bought a norinco coach gun with hammers. I use it for CAS and sometimes as a field gun. I looked at the CZ, but I did not like the weight. Felt more like 9 pounds than 7. My norinco goes about 6.5 pounds.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I was actually thinking about buying a cz before I found the bernadelli.I did have a couple of years ago one of the Pedersoli la Bohiememe hammer guns it was a nice gun overall but it was a heavy gun .
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The CZ mule-eared coachgun I worked with a while back was one of the two nicest ones I've handled.

Right now I've got their new Sharp-Tail hammerless here & so far impressed enough to want to keep it.

Made for them in Tourquay by Huglu, good stuff!
Denis
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have the Coach Gun, it is very well made and loads of fun.

Don
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

DPris wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:22 pm The CZ mule-eared coachgun I worked with a while back was one of the two nicest ones I've handled.

Right now I've got their new Sharp-Tail hammerless here & so far impressed enough to want to keep it.

Made for them in Turkey by Huglu, good stuff!
Denis
Fixed that for you.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Thanks, but I like it better my way. :)
Denis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:04 pm
DPris wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:22 pm The CZ mule-eared coachgun I worked with a while back was one of the two nicest ones I've handled.

Made for them in Turkey by Huglu, good stuff!
Denis
Fixed that for you.
...and then...
DPris wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 pm
DPris wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:22 pm Made for them in Tourquay by Huglu, good stuff!
Thanks, but I like it better my way. :)
Denis

You guys crack me up -- and make me forget all about the not-so-great finish on my modified CZ Hammer Classic. :wink:

Anyway, I had to Google "Tourquay" -- expecting it to be a small town IN Turkey -- but found this instead...

Torquay is a seaside resort town on the English Channel in Devon, south west England. Known for beaches such as Babbacombe and cliffside Oddicombe, its coastline is nicknamed the English Riviera. Torquay Harbour near the town centre offers shops, cafes and a marina. Torre Abbey, a monastery founded in 1196, has art galleries and extensive gardens featuring plants from local writer Agatha Christie's novels.

Cheers to all!

Old No7

ps: Denis: I enjoy your articles in "Guns Of The Old West" -- keep 'em coming!

ps2: And Nath: I enjoy your photos and hunting stories -- let's see more!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Tourquey is the setting for the comedy series Fawlty Towers. Imagine a pomeranian barking the name Basil and you have the way the actress who played the wife called to the character played by John Cleese.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost