30 carbine reload

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

30 carbine reload

Post by JNG »

I have a 30 carbine and I will be reloading for it.
Question, will gas check lead bullets hurt the gas system?

Joe
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 30 carbine reload

Post by gamekeeper »

Bump.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've heard that it will plug the gas port in the barrel over time. I use Rainer plated bullets. It is a fickle cartridge to reload. Store ammo runs great, my reloads will jam from time to time. Brass length is very important as well as over all length. If too long it won't go into battery all the way and won't fire. If it starts to jam, clean the chamber, mine seems to require that more often than other guns.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 am I've heard that it will plug the gas port in the barrel over time. I use Rainer plated bullets. It is a fickle cartridge to reload. Store ammo runs great, my reloads will jam from time to time. Brass length is very important as well as over all length. If too long it won't go into battery all the way and won't fire. If it starts to jam, clean the chamber, mine seems to require that more often than other guns.
That's been my experience too. I've shot all kinds of lead bullets, with or without gas checks. Bullets designed for the thirty two twenty, cast and jacketed, sized down to three o nine. About the only one that's 99% reliable is the Lyman g.c. that mimics the jacketed round.....can't remember the number..it's 110 grains. Like Ben says, case length is extremely important, especially in handguns. My old model Ruger demands absolute perfect ammo. Yea, major PITA. But when that Ruger is fed the proper stuff, it shoots like a rifle....one of my most accurate handguns.

Off subject...for some reason, my I pad does not let me use numbers sometimes...weird.

As far as plugging the gas port...yea but...as I also use cast in the Garand and the M1-A, it's a simple 3 second task to run the proper sized drill bit through the gas port from time to time. My M1-A, after several hundred rounds started to malfunction last month.....it would eject but would not pick up a fresh round.....I just popped the action from the stock and poked the drill bit through the gas port and presto!, I was back "in action" 2 minutes later.

The thirty carbine is also highly dependent on perfect magazines....after market is usually junk...buy original GI mags

Hey, these guns are for fun...shoot whatever is cheapest to allow you more rounds per dollar. When you have a problem, fix it..nobody is shooting back at you........Six
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That's the last one. From here on in it's going to selectivity. Some people are fish but most are fishermen.... or Democrats....hard to tell the difference.----6
Model A Uzi’s