50 Beowulf Promotion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

50 Beowulf Promotion

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/specials/promotions

For anyone interested (just a flyer I received).

I don't shoot mine as much as I'd like, but when I want a semiautomatic 'thumper', it is dependable, kind of like putting 20 rounds of 45-70 downrange in in about 7 seconds or so... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 50 Beowulf Promotion

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nothing against the 50 BW as I have a friend that owns one that I load for as well as a friend with a 458 So and I had a 450 BM . But I've kinda moved away from them and started thinking 338 Federal on my AR-10 . At the present the only 15 I have is a Grendel and my 10 only has a 260 REM upper . So the 338 Federal is I think a better fit for me plus I have a history with the 338 Federal .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm Nothing against the 50 BW as I have a friend that owns one that I load for as well as a friend with a 458 So and I had a 450 BM . But I've kinda moved away from them and started thinking 338 Federal on my AR-10 . At the present the only 15 I have is a Grendel and my 10 only has a 260 REM upper . So the 338 Federal is I think a better fit for me plus I have a history with the 338 Federal .

Yea,...thread turn.......6 Point....what kind of accuracy do you get with the 260 upper? I'm thinking of one....I like the caliber.----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I figure the 'AR' platform in 'short' action (i.e 'Carbine') format is good for:

> 223 Rem/5.56 - since that is what it was designed for

> 300 Blackout - reliable 'bigger/slower' round great for shorter barrels, SBR's, pistols, and suppression

> 50 Beowulf (or the other big-bore derivatives) - big thumpers in a carbine-sized package

> the mid-30-calibers - maybe better accuracy and longer range effectiveness than the 223, though not sure they add anything for my personal needs the 300 Blk with good handholds would fail to do[/list]

So: I have AR 'uppers' in 223 Rem, 300 Blk, 50 Beowulf, and probably will stop at that (except a 338 Lapua single-shot :twisted: no reason to need the AR-10 for that since it is only a single-shot and the weight/bulk is major but not due to the lower/action, just due to the heavy and long barrel)

The longer 'AR-10' is a different beast entirely - far bulkier and heavier - a 'Rifle' rather than a 'Carbine' in my book.

I have one in 308, and have considered a 338 Federal, 243 Win, and several other long-range rounds.

But I'd definitely not subject myself to the larger 'Rifle' format AR-10 for the power level of a 50 Beowulf, since I can get that in a handy AR-15 Carbine. I'd stick with the other 308 variants there, where the object is longer range with a serious power level than can be accomplished with anything in the short-action AR-15.

I'm still unsure as to the utility of the AR-15 platform in 'pistol caliber' cartridges, however if compact enough I have been impressed with the longevity of the 9mm round (see the recent torture test I posted about elsewhere).
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 pm I'm still unsure as to the utility of the AR-15 platform in 'pistol caliber' cartridges, however if compact enough I have been impressed with the longevity of the 9mm round (see the recent torture test I posted about elsewhere).
Yea...me too Doc......don't know why...just unsure. I've shot the hell out of a Colt AR full auto in 9mm and it ran 500 rounds without a hiccup. Did the same with a full auto MP5 and my semi auto Model A Uzi's. I believe my thinking comes from my experiences with AR's in .223 and I'm not even "sure" on the AR "platform" in any caliber. Some jams with AR's have literally put the gun out of action for 10 minutes or so and that's knowing what I'm doing.

It's a temperamental gun that's wholly dependent on perfect ammo where Garands, M1A's and even the BAR is more forgiving and easier to put back in action. If I was going to pick a large caliber semi auto battle rifle, there's no doubt my choice would be the M1-A.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

interesting stuff... I am very interested in the 458 S.... it "appears" to be reliable. u2oob seems to have plenty full auto mag dumps, but of course perhaps nasty failures are omitted? It checks off a lot of boxes for me. #1 is for a bear stopper.. #2 is for adequate firepower and followup times with regards to #1. #3 is lower pressures than the 50, if that's correct. It seems to me that the critical reloading factor is not moving the shoulder back.... and the number one question is whether I can shoot the same hard-cast bullets I shoot in 45/70, with regards to possible leading of the gas block... which brings up the question of using a piston to localize and reduce that effect, if necessary. I spoke to someone at the gun show who built a 450 on a piston upper, he relieved the gas hole and the underside of the block to prevent fouling of the action. This is a knowledgeable guy who manufactures barrels for a living.

need input
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Would pony up on building a 358 Winchester upper! :D More on a M14 chasses though...…..

Mainehunter
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm Nothing against the 50 BW as I have a friend that owns one that I load for as well as a friend with a 458 So and I had a 450 BM . But I've kinda moved away from them and started thinking 338 Federal on my AR-10 . At the present the only 15 I have is a Grendel and my 10 only has a 260 REM upper . So the 338 Federal is I think a better fit for me plus I have a history with the 338 Federal .

Yea,...thread turn.......6 Point....what kind of accuracy do you get with the 260 upper? I'm thinking of one....I like the caliber.----6
I tried exactly one load in the gun Hornady 123 SST pushed with a good charge of IMR 4064 and from the bench at 100 yards I was averaging for several groups (3 shots) right at 1/2 MOA . I would tell you the charge weight but I’m on the other side of the world from my loading bench . FWIW I’ve messed with the 260 in one form or another since it’s factory inception .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Part of my bias to the Beowulf was the '50 vs 45' thing, but I'd planned on eventually getting a 500 S&W (levergun) and I can use the same bullets in both guns, because the plated bullets feed well and are inexpensive and so far hardcast bullets do well in the 350 grain range with both, although I can go up to over 500 grains in the levergun.

I think any of the 45 or 50 caliber uppers make nice additions to the AR in 'carbine' formats.

I'm still not sure what to think about or do with the AR-10 size guns though; like Sixgun, my gut feeling is that if I'm fouling to tote something that big it better do something my much handier, prettier, and more reliable M1A can't do, and I'm not there yet.

But the Beowulf is just......FUN....!