Project thoughts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Project thoughts

Post by Griff »

I'm thinking of building a pistol caliber AR type carbine. I already load for .40S&W and .45ACP, so I'm kinda limiting myself to those two... although I might take on a 9mm if thought best. I don't have anything else in a 9mm, while I have various companion handguns to go with the other two. Might even go the SBR route and maybe suppressed while I'm at it.

Anyone have an opinion to share? Best if you also have said carbine to base an opinion on... not that I won't consider others...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Project thoughts

Post by GunnyMack »

Pistol ARs are certainly more popular in 9mm, I have seen a few 40s. I too think having one the same caliber as an EDC makes sense. I would prefer a 40, using Glock mags.
Check out Palmetto State Armory as they seem to have quite a few pistol caliber uppers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a 'pistol' AR setup in 300 Blackout, and like that. The smaller cartridge of a 45 ACP or 9mm Luger or 40 S&W doesn't make the gun itself less bulky, so I went with the 300 vs the 223 for a HUGE reduction in muzzle-blast, even without the suppressor on.

On the other hand, 9mm ammo is inexpensive, and GOOD 9mm ammo is effective, and from THIS video, you just can't wear a 9mm AR out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZDR2JZz6Y - at least this one....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Griff...first, it makes no sense to SBR anything. Buy a lower and register it as a pistol and then you can add whatever upper you want. That's what I did in the below pic....handgun lower and a .223 Colt machine gun upper w/10" barrel with a binary trigger...all legal. If you want a pistol caliber AR, it's just as easy to buy one complete....prices are down....plus, like a 94 Winchester was never made for the 44 mag and is problematic, the same goes for AR's....unless you buy them that way as I hear varying success stories on guys who build pistol caliber AR's...magwells, buffers, etc can be confusing unless you know what your doing..I don't.

As for pistol calibered guns, my choice is...you know....Model A Uzi's. :D -----6.

My son's 45 auto. I think it's a CMMG. He likes that class three stuff....to me, it sends red flags.

Model A Uzi’s