Poachers gun..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Poachers gun..?

Post by gcs »

I think it was gamekeeper or nath who mentioned buying a 410 recently and mentioned that single shot 410 poachers guns were a dime a dozen over there.
So I guess poachers used a 410 a lot, can someone explain the term, and reasoning of why that particular type gun was used?, other then the obvious name, :wink:
Thanks.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Poachers gun..?

Post by Nath »

Bird collector's liked shooting little birds to study, paint or stuff.
Little light folding .410's were popular for such pastimes.
It became illegal so the guns were unwanted and hence cheap.
It was easy to get one and on a windy wet night a fellow could fill a sack with pheasants to sell down the pub if he knew how to dodge the gamekeeper.
Hence forth the little folding .410 that could be concealed in a long coat got called a poachers gun.

Blasted things! Light in construction they are the reason British .410 ammo makers make their ammo so anaemic!

That's my take on it .

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm Bird collector's liked shooting little birds to study, paint or stuff.
It was easy to get one and on a windy wet night a fellow could fill a sack with pheasants to sell down the pub if he knew how to dodge the gamekeeper.
Hence forth the little folding .410 that could be concealed in a long coat got called a poachers gun.

Blasted things! Light in construction they are the reason British .410 ammo makers make their ammo so anaemic!

That's my take on it .

N.

Straight from the horse's mouth, there ! . ;)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Around here a .410 used to be called a poacher's gun because you could slip a .45 Colt cartridge in it and shoot a deer. Back in the days when tables were barren and wild game was scarce from overhunting. Poor people didn't have access to slug and buckshot shells that are so plentiful today. They could always claim they were hunting squirrels with the .410
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Nath wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm Bird collector's liked shooting little birds to study, paint or stuff.

That's my take on it .

N.

Straight from the horse's mouth, there ! . ;)

I don't know what you mean......... :wink:

To be honest, I use to use a net!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It's just tooooo easy!

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Back in the 70s I owned a 12g poachers gun. The forearm was inletted with a groove big enough for the trigger guard to fit into.
This made the whole gun fold completely in half, but it was still 30 inches long, because that was the barrel length.
You'd need a pretty deep trench coat pockets to hide one in.
Even in one of those old A frame backpacks there was 6 inches of barrel pocking out the top. With a sleeping bag tied across the top of the pack the barrel was well out of sight. I traveled about 2500 miles up the east coast of Australia and back again, all by hitch hiking. Only one bloke ever spotted the barrel, and all he said was " great, I'll pull up and you can get us a rabbit for dinner ".
In 45 years of gun ownership, that poachers gun was the only one I ever had an AD with. Dammit their loud in a small room, and their not good for the wallpaper either, no wonder I ended up with tinnitus as I got older.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I cannot better Naths description of a poachers gun, he is spot on.
I can only add that my first shotgun was a folding .410 and was used for illegal gathering of game long before I changed sides and took up gamekeeping, then it became my trapping gun because it was so light and handy.
The last poachers gun I posted about I have promised to my son who wants one for squirrels.
I'm currently trying to find an Investarm o/u folding .410 with double triggers, the only ones I can find over here have those awful single triggers.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks guys, Ive been pondering about that, since I read that post. Ive been considering getting a Chiappa double badger, 22 LR on top and 410 shotgun below, thing folds almost in half, and looks handy for dispatch and chicken thieves. Any advice on 410 ammo?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If hungry and in dire straits, I think I'd take a .22 with CB longs across the hwy to Ft Lewis...plenty of game there. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This has been a fascinating thread. Thanks guys! :D