reloads for my 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jim-Curlee
Levergunner

reloads for my 94

Post by Jim-Curlee »

Just curious what some of you guy's are reloading for your model 94s.
I'm sure this has been discussed more than it should, but when I started looking back through the archives, whenever you use the word reload, you get everything under the sun.
I've been using 170 gr soft point bullets, with 3031 powder.
I've been varying the amounts of powder.
They seem to work just fine.
Thought I'd see if there are some better loads to try.
I'm mainly a plinker, but the shells I'm shootin pack a mighty wallop, more than my spinning metal targets can take. LOL
Thanks again
Jim
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: reloads for my 94

Post by J Miller »

I hate load experimenting, so when I find a load that works I stick with it.

My 30-30 go-to load has been the same since the mid 1970s. 34.5 grs of Win 748 behind a 150gr bullet. Usually a Speer but I've loaded Sierra, Hornady, Remington and Winchester bullets with that powder charge all with great results.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For my plinking I use a 117 grain 32/20 bullet sized down to .310 (I'm mostly a cast bullet shooter) and loaded with 10 grains of Unique for about 1750 fps to turn the mighty 30/30 into a 32/20. This is much easier on the shoulder and the spinning targets. I shoot 999 of these for every 1 full-power 170 grain load.

For friends who aren't into cast bullets and want something with more "zip" but still easy on the shoulder I bought a 500-carton of a 110 grain Speer round-nosed bullet meant for 30 carbine and I have loaded that one ahead of 33 grains of 3031 for about 2700 fps. I don't think this one would be any nicer to spinning targets than your load.

For friends plinking use I have loaded that same 110 grain bullet ahead of 12 grains of Unique at a bit under 2000 fps. This is a pleasant plinking load and it was reported to me that this will also do major damage to a jack rabbit.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use to load about 13 GRN of blue dot in my 30wcf with a 150 cast bullet. Plenty much fun.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My loads are 27.5 grains of Reloader7 behind a 150 grain FNGC from a #316 Saeco mold. WLR primer in a variety of cases. Full length sized and trimmed to 2.020". I also load a 150 grain Speer JFP with this same load. It matches factory Federal 150 grain loads for POI. Current books list the max at 27 grains, but... this load works in several of my .30-30s (all Winchester mdl 94s).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Years ago when my daughter was young, I started her on her Mother's Marlin and 110 grain speer bullets over 31 grains of IMR 3031. That was slightly above minimum' and gave great accuracy at 50 and 100 yards. The kick was light enough that she didn't mind it at all. I never tried that load on anything other than paper. If there were a place where I could hunt squirrels, it should do well for them. It was about a normal speed load but about 25% lighter bullet weight if memory serves. The 110 grain bullets I could find back then were FMJ. They loaded easily and extracted just as easily. Lighter bullets seem to bring the kick down well. A slower powder might do even better to reduce the mild recoil.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

IMR 4895 is a little slower. Maybe it would be even better. Or BL-C2.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For years I used IMR 3031 in both 30-30 and 32WS. I still like it for 32, but have switched to W748 for the 30-30. The only jacketed hunting bullet I use is the Hornady 170gr Interlock. I put it over 34gr. of W748 and get about 2130fps out of a 20" 94 carbine. It duplicates factory Winchester 170 Power Points in my rifle.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

earlmck wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:49 am For my plinking I use a 117 grain 32/20 bullet sized down to .310 (I'm mostly a cast bullet shooter) and loaded with 10 grains of Unique for about 1750 fps to turn the mighty 30/30 into a 32/20. This is much easier on the shoulder and the spinning targets. I shoot 999 of these for every 1 full-power 170 grain load.

For friends who aren't into cast bullets and want something with more "zip" but still easy on the shoulder I bought a 500-carton of a 110 grain Speer round-nosed bullet meant for 30 carbine and I have loaded that one ahead of 33 grains of 3031 for about 2700 fps. I don't think this one would be any nicer to spinning targets than your load.

For friends plinking use I have loaded that same 110 grain bullet ahead of 12 grains of Unique at a bit under 2000 fps. This is a pleasant plinking load and it was reported to me that this will also do major damage to a jack rabbit.
If you have a 16" Trapper model that load will give you one humongous muzzle blast and fire ball. At night it was like shooting a howitzer, a real blast.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***