Too many wolves in Oregon already

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Too many wolves in Oregon already

Post by daisygordoninc »

You may know that sheep farmers and cattle farmers in Eastern Oregon are already having loses to their herds by wolves.
Of course the game commission wants to protect them and it is difficult to protect herds from them. I have a close friend
who recently encountered 4 wolves who were stocking him during his mule deer hunt just a couple of weeks ago in Eastern
Oregon. I know this has likely been discussed to death before does anyone have thoughts on this growing problem ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Too many wolves in Oregon already

Post by GunnyMack »

Bullet & a backhoe! Say nothing to no one.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The 3 S’s is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Got rifle? Got shovel?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Like other predators in Oregon, the wolves are just one more that are getting out of control, and I doubt anything can be done due to the liberals who set the agenda. Most of those liberals don't live in areas affected by wolves and cougars, but they like sitting in their easy chair in the city and dreaming of how nice it is to have these predators running freely on the other side of the state.
Of course it's always easy to look at a problem that doesn't affect you, and not see anything wrong. So I doubt the liberal majority will vote to change anything, and those who have to live with this issue will have to either suffer, or figure a way to deal with it and not get into trouble.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Shoot. Dig a hole. Don't ask, don't tell...

So. Coastal Oregon; cougars sighted in city park and reported goat killings just east of town. Black bears seen 2 miles up river in residential area. Recent forest fires have pushed them closer/into town. But they are protected...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Get protected status there for humans...…………………… :roll:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here's an idea- let's trap these predators and relocate them to down town and release them. After all the these are sanctuary cities so the Mountain lions and wolves will be in a safe place. No elk or deer in the cities so they will be safe too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If you could get rid of the liberals there would be more room for the wolves.…. :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm sure wolves would eat liberals!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

One could wish for the karmic justice of Predator Defense Fund members being the ones stalked and assaulted, but they all live in Eugene, eat only leaves and soy products and no longer smell like meat to our Canid friends.
At some point ODFW is going to have to put on its big-boy pants and declare management hunts, but institutional courage is not one of its strong points.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Would trying to get it on the ballot help?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sadly, nothing can be done legally. When you have the peta folks talking about relocating predators in direct violation of the laws it's hopeless.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

SSS. Best way of protecting livestock from predators.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Family member, of someone I work with, was out Elk hunting recently and was stalked by TWO (yes 2) lions. He was aware enough to take out 1 before something bad happened, but the second took off. He reported it to WADFW, they came out and investigated, took the dead one, and confirmed what had happened after their investigation.

Predators in the PNW (2 legged ones in downtown PDX also) are getting out of control.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm
At some point ODFW is going to have to put on its big-boy pants and declare management hunts, but institutional courage is not one of its strong points.

Good luck with that, Bill. The bunny huggers will sue and keep that in court for the next 30 years. We have been fighting them here in Wyoming for at least that long, in fact this year the G&F had the hunt all lined up, licenses drawn for and sold, everything all set and they found a Federal judge that killed the whole thing and put the bears back under Federal control. State of Wyoming has spent millions of dollars over the years on this mess and no further along than we were on day one.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

what wolf?!?!?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't get it...being an easterner I hear little of the wolf issue. Can someone tell me why liberals want the wolves to proliferate when it's common knowledge what these wolves are capable of?

For me it's common sense. Here, foxes are protected......season from oct to feb...and they are all over the place....some mangy from overpopulation. I see them practically daily...every night they are at the front door.....if they are healthy, I leave them alone...mangy ones catch a 218 Bee bullet...daytime.....and I really don't care if they are in season or not....so.......

Why do liberals want wolves protected?----6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 pm I don't get it...being an easterner I hear little of the wolf issue. Can someone tell me why liberals want the wolves to proliferate when it's common knowledge what these wolves are capable of?

Why do liberals want wolves protected?----6
The idiots want them back because:

1, Said morons, think they can go up to the north woods and watch them frolic and play!

2, if wolves control and decimate deer, elk and other game animals, then there will be no need for hunting or firearms!
Opinions vary but that is my take on it. YMMV.... Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Liberals think wolves are just like a friendly dog, only more so. They read Julie of the Wolves as a child and wanted to be the fictitional little girl raised by wolves. I heard a couple of book reports about it when I was a kid.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Frankly I don't object to background numbers of them in the ecosystem, as long as those numbers are carefully managed and livestock owners have the right to shoot offenders and are promptly and fairly compensated for any losses. No, I'm not interested in seeing griz restored. Humans historically stand a pretty good chance against the former in a confrontation, but not the latter.
Critics will note that the wolves now spreading across Oregon are gray wolves, a larger species than the extinct Cascade wolf that evolved here. Critics of the wolves will rightly note that strict biological management becomes virtually impossible in an atmosphere politically charged with emotion rather than reason.
https://dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya.....It still does not make sense. Aren't the liberals the "party of intellectuals" where education is the key to success?
Wolves, like coyotes and crows are downright nasty animals. I shoot crows on sight because of their habits. I understand It's not their fault as nature made them that way, but like some kinds of people, I just don't want them near me.----6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mikld wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 am Shoot. Dig a hole. Don't ask, don't tell...

So. Coastal Oregon; cougars sighted in city park and reported goat killings just east of town. Black bears seen 2 miles up river in residential area. Recent forest fires have pushed them closer/into town. But they are protected...
Cougars are not protected in Oregon. Not only can you hunt them with a tag, but if they are a threat to you, you can shoot them without a tag.
Cougar hunting with dogs was banned when voters decided it was inhumane. Total BS. Since then cougar populations have exploded, as hunting them without dogs during daylight hours is unsuccessful mostly. Now the state F&G commission pays state approved trappers to hunt down cougars and reduce their populations in areas where they thrive. And of course these trappers use dogs! I have a friend who used to hunt cougars with dogs, and now gets paid to hunt them by F&G! He told me a few years ago the state paid him to take 38 cougars out of Hepner Unit alone! He also said an adult cougar takes about one deer a week, so multiply that by those 38 cougar and you'll see why deer populations are down in all of Oregon.
And the large number of cougars has caused them to seek out new hunting areas. So they're beginning to show up in residential areas at the outskirts of cities, and also well inside highly populated cities! Portland had a cougar inside the city limits a couple years ago. Closest woods or rural area it could come from was over 12 miles away. And the area between that rural area and where they killed the cougar is all non stop houses. Amazing the cougar went unnoticed so far into the big city! But I'm sure it wont be the last.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Does the state or county have a restitution fund? That is, when livestock is destroyed for its sale by a protected predator, restitution is paid to the livestock's owner. Some states offer this palliative.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson