Remembering Sgt. York - 100 Years Ago Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Remembering Sgt. York - 100 Years Ago Today

Post by 65bee »

On Oct. 8, 1918, Cpl. Alvin York silenced a pack of German machine gun nests and captured 132 German soldiers in the Argonne Forest, and became an iconic symbol of the 'war to end all wars', and arguably one of the most significant military heros in American history. Detractors will point out that there were other instances of soldiers performing battlefield feats of comparable bravery, but none became as well publicized or as famous. In addition, the release of the film ' Sgt. York' in 1941, an idealized rendering of his life and accomplishment, did much to bring the U.S. to a patriotic fervor and entrance into World War 2. Sadly, the last years of his life were spent battling the IRS while confined to a bed as the result of a debilitating stroke.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remembering Sgt. York - 100 Years Ago Today

Post by Old No7 »

Good post and remembrance -- thanks!

Here's a couple of images...

Old No7

Sgt York 01.jpg

Sgt York 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A true hero.

The IRS probably has harmed the U.S. more than foreign enemies, unfortunately. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Back in the late 1960's we lived about 50 miles from there and never did get over there. Always been sorry about that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

My wife and I visited Pall Mall in the late 90's and was given a tour of the York homestead by one of his sons(the one given to him by the citizens of Tenn.). The home at that time was a museum dedicated to his memory. We also visited his grave site. A beautiful country! I can see why he loved it so much.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You can admire a man who saved his fellow soldiers. His capturing 132 Germans undoubtedly saved a bunch of lives. Not many step up and take over, but those who do should be remembered.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

My Granddad told me he was in the Church service when Alvin York was saved.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A few years ago my wife wanted to go to one of her college reunions and asked me to take her. I said I would but if we were going to Berea, Ky I wanted to go on to Pall Mall, Tn to see the Alvin York State Historic site. We didn't take a tour of the house but did spend several hours in the welcome center talking with the State Park Rangers. I have to say that I have never met any state employees that were more passionate about their work. We discussed many of the details about Alvin's service. The most interesting was which rifle he actually used. History tells us that his unit was issued Enfields but Alvin favored the Springfield because it was easier to handle and had sights more like the rifles he grew up using. Alvin's son swears that his dad used a Springfield because he "didn't have much use for that English rifle."
If you're ever in the area I would definitely suggest a visit.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Like soldiers on the front lines of any war, they many times discard their disliked issue weapons and pick up a preferred one on the battlefield, even one of the enemies'. I recently saw a photo taken during the Vietnam War showing a chopper picking up wounded at an LZ, and one of the door gunners was clearly weilding an AK-47. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Sgt. York got rid of his issue Enfield and picked up a Springfield. He knew rifles and was also reportedly a crack shot with a handgun. An interesting sidelight on the movie 'Sgt. York' was the scene where he took out a charging squad of German soldiers with his pistol. In the movie he is using a Luger, but in actuality he used a 1911 .45.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, those who knew him did say that he was a crack shot with any firearm. I have read of his duck hunting and shooting the last duck in the formation to the first so that the rest of the ducks kept flying thinking he missed. He reportedly did that with the German soldiers who charged him. It took nerves of steel to do all of the things he did in the war. Even with his much better than average skills, few would have the nerves to do what he did.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 am A true hero.

The IRS probably has harmed the U.S. more than foreign enemies, unfortunately. :|
+1

I've always been a fan of Sgt York, and other true American heroes. I didn't know about his battle with the IRS. Just makes him more of a hero to me!