Another Moose from BC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Another Moose from BC

Post by daisygordoninc »

Got another moose from BC last week. Pretty big, heavy antlers but not very pretty. Will have them on my wall anyway, 3 in three years. I feel pretty blessed.
The 3 guys I took with me also got theirs, 4 for 4 . The big one really did get away, too long to shoot, didn't want to wound him, he was a monster. We had a foot
of snow the last two days, had to leave a day early just to get out, we had planned to stay and hunt mule deer. Chris Condie, ( Windy Mountain Outfitters) does
a great job with us. Used my Marlin 338 Express, lever gun of course. Took 4 shots to get him to the ground, they are tough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another Moose from BC

Post by Nath »

Congratulations.
Who need them magnum thingy doos. 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome congrats and thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, he is indeed a Big Boy.. :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Boy that will fill a couple of freezers I bet. Lots of good meat there and a great experience. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wwwaaaaaaayyy to go! A levergun... You have now surpassed Old Win and Pitchy for the title of "Mr Levergun". Tell us about the bullet or load you used.

As I've hunted moose one time, unsuccessfully, how do you get something like that out of the woods...quarter and carry?....----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

As the owner of a MXLR and MX .338 Marlin Express all I can say "is I told You So". I have watched Your last few hunts over the years, and now Another has posted here who is also posted on Marlin Owners. He had great results in Africa with the .338. I have long said that if Remlin would build the .338 ME and supply the right bullets for different Game the .338 ME would be the cutting edge for Leverguns. And I have to say Thank You for Your post. Enjoy that Moose. !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

CONGRATS ! !

That's a LOT of munchies, right there ! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of the best critters for eatin in my book.
338 has to be my favorite caliber. I'm not lucky enough to have a 338ME but I do have a Win Mag and the Federal, both have been 1 shot elk killers. Just the right amount of velocity, frontal diameter and bullet weight.

Enjoy that meat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! It is a thrill dropping a moose.......more so as God intended, with a levergun.
Moose are funny. They don't necessarily need a lot of gun to take, if the range is reasonable. But if spooked after they are shot, they can run.
I shot one late in the afternoon with my 71 at about 75 yards a few years ago. I was sitting on a stump calling him out of a bog. I shot him through the lungs but was a little blinded from the muzzle flash. My dad said he was all wobbly and going down but I stood and levered the rifle. Soon as I did he stiffened and turned for the bog. Put another through that side and down he went.
Last week was our early season. A friends niece shot an 830lb bull at 90 yards with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. DRT! You never know, I guess, but I wouldn't have tried that. :shock:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:37 am Nice! It is a thrill dropping a moose.......more so as God intended, with a levergun.
Moose are funny. They don't necessarily need a lot of gun to take, if the range is reasonable. But if spooked after they are shot, they can run.
I shot one late in the afternoon with my 71 at about 75 yards a few years ago. I was sitting on a stump calling him out of a bog. I shot him through the lungs but was a little blinded from the muzzle flash. My dad said he was all wobbly and going down but I stood and levered the rifle. Soon as I did he stiffened and turned for the bog. Put another through that side and down he went.
Last week was our early season. A friends niece shot an 830lb bull at 90 yards with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. DRT! You never know, I guess, but I wouldn't have tried that. :shock:
6.5mm bullets behave beyond all conventional reasonings!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

True dat, Nath. They do defy the numbers. The 6.5x55 chief among them.
For whatever reason, they have a hard time gaining widespread acceptance in the US.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:05 am True dat, Nath. They do defy the numbers. The 6.5x55 chief among them.
For whatever reason, they have a hard time gaining widespread acceptance in the US.
Was it the .264 winmag I remember as being a short cased belted cartridge that never took off?
Will have to check now....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pretty sure. The .264 is hot number. You'd think it woulda been a huge hit out west.
Strange how some great cartridges don't make it. Sometimes it's as simple as the name.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The 6.5 Creedmore is taking off pretty good now. Seems to be taking customers away from the 308 a bit.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Shot one moose with the 338 Marlin, used the Remington 250 grain core-lokt. It was too long of a shot for the 250 bullet, 267 yards. Still killed him, but...
Wondering if you are using the Hornady FTX on these moose, and at what ranges, and if you have any wounding data or bullet recovery.
I am curious as to this bullet's performance. I think it will come apart upon striking bone, at any range. But I think the bullet does its best on big game at over the 200 yard mark. Deer, it doesn't make any difference, 25 yards, 300 yards, dead.

But elk and moose? I am skeptical of the FTX.

If Hornady or Remington would get off their butt and make a good tough bullet designed for penetration, the 338 Marlin would be ultimate lever gun. SImple as making a quality big game bullet, ie partion, a-frame or a good tough speer type bullet that they make in 358
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Yes, I did use the FTX 200 Gr. Hornady bullet, tried to match the ballistics of the one Hornady makes, I think pretty close.
I killed my first moose at 270 yards one bullet through the heart and lungs. The bullet exited. The second one was only
100 yards, lungs and heart again one shot. This one was only 135 yards, same bullet, shot 4 times, first two through the
lungs, didn't stop him, the last two through the shoulder, I recovered those. I wouldn't want to use lighter bullets than
200 Gr. they are just such big animals and penetration is important. He had no lungs left after those 2 hits, but he kept
going for about 25 yards anyway. Marlin and Hornady were trying to match or exceed the ballistics of the 30-06 and it
seems to me they have done that. I would not be afraid of a 300 yard shot. I did pass a shot at a really big one that was
350 yards, I just didn't want to would an animal like that and not get it cleanly. It was in position to go into a dense tree
area. I'm not a long distance guy, and honestly a little skeptical about people who shoot much further than that, unless
they are really skilled long distance shooters, which I am not.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

The two bullets I recovered from the shoulder area where not broken up much, one weighs 150 gr. and the other 125 gr. So some of
each bullet did break off but the main body of the bullet didn't break apart. That's about what I would expect from them. Of course the
other two exited on the opposite side though the rib cage.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nicely done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of potential for some good meals there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CONGRATS ! !
When's the BBQ?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well done, Oregon friend!

8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nice moose, and having everyone successful is huge! Good job by the guide and the hunters!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Most excellent! I hear they are fine table fair.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

One of my favorite sayings was from one of the board members here that was a regular moose hunter.

"Nothing ruins a moose hunt quite like shooting one."

Because, of course, once the shooting is over it has to be packed out. And I take it they are famous for being shot, wandering into the nearest bog, and then dropping dead ... in the deep muck.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Or sinking! Happened to friends of mine.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!