M1 Garand Rescue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

M1 Garand Rescue

Post by M. M. Wright »

Some time ago I bought an old parade rifle or drill rifle at a gun show. Mostly for parts since the barrel was plugged, the gas cylinder lock and screw were welded, the bolt was welded shut and the barrel was welded to the action. There was even a glob of weld to prevent the operating rod from being removed. I Dremelled the welds away and screwed the barrel out and bought a gas cylinder, lock and screw. Acquired a good complete bolt and bought a used barrel off ebay for $21.00. Screwed the barrel in, and assembled the rest of the parts. Of course I had to use go and no-go gauges to set the head space and the op rod was a little bent so I straightened it. I had another stock that had the carbon fiber or some sort of hard plastic plates on the sides where the action and trigger group grip the stock. Sighted the thing in and sorta forgot it until Pitchy got his Garand. I had a couple of bypasses done on my heart about a year ago so haven't done a lot of shooting until lately. Dragged the old girl out of the safe today and oiled her up, stuck a clip of 165 grain bullets over 47 grains of H4895 in her and shot this group at about 50 yards from my redneck bench. (pickup seat out the window)
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: M1 Garand Rescue

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty cool MM.....looks like you have a little gunsmith in you. All of this inspiration is gonna get me and my Garand out on Friday. What era is the receiver from?---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ron, I believe that is about one minute of angle for a deer in the edge of a hay field. Truck door windows do make a good rest.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Ron glad ya got her running. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:22 am Cool beans Ron glad ya got her running. 8) :)
Yep - that's really cool...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Old Garands never die, they just waste away in a closet somewhere... Good work (and thanks) on bringing that Garand back to life.

I had wanted an M1 Garand since the show "Combat" was aired way back when, but it didn't happen until I finally got one 6 years ago. I believe it's right up there with my lever gun as far as fun factor, and while I have slowed my shooting down considerably (rain, forest fires, and health), my Garand still sees the range. I have a tendency to take "related guns" when I shoot; I nearly always take my 1911 when I shoot my Garand, and my single actions ride along when I take out my lever gun... :wink:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

6, Looks like she were made in July 1944. The barrel I scored is from '53. I went through basic in '61 and we used Garands. I've actually slept with one a time or two. Kids must learn discipline.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS