Waxing Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Waxing Guns

Post by octagon »

I am wondering specifically about using wax to protect gun metal and not wood. Anyone used wax long term on their stuff and have any reports as to effectiveness or brand recommendations? I have heard of museums using this method, but would like to hear from our own levergunners .
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Waxing Guns

Post by mack »

I have used a product called Fluid Film for storage on firearms and machine tools. It is a great corrosion preventative and somewhat of a lubricant. It is the same stuff we use for undercoating on the trucks and farm equipment. The stuff has the ability to really "creep", it seems to find its way into all the corners. Never had a rust or finger print problem after using it. I don't think I would rely on it as an in service lubricant.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

My wife and I shoot armory bright Springfields (61 & 63) in N-SSA events and I often use wax on the metal as we sometimes shoot in the rain. Johnsons Paste Wax is my favorite but I've used inexpensive auto polish too. Both protect the finish though I would be reluctant to use auto polishes on a finished gun as they often contain abrasives.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I could see using wax on blueless guns like Hawkeye but consider it a hassle as it's time consuming. The oils made today...mine and Doug Turnbulls favorite...Remoil and others.....has worked for me for over 40 years.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So that's what the kids are calling it these days :lol:
If it's got blue then just use oil, save the wax for wood.
Some of the newer oils on the market can actually penetrate the pores of steel.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've waxed both wood and metal for decades and no problems. I know there are specialty waxes like Renaissance Wax that museums use, but I simply use Minn Wax Paste Wax. I use a rag to apply a thin coat to metal and wood, and then a dry cloth to buff off all excess.
I always do an extra treatment prior to taking guns out for fall hunting season, so the rain will bead up and run off. Even in horrible monsoon conditions my guns never have any signs of rust. And for my collectable guns the wax leaves the metal and wood looking as good as possible.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does Johnson's Paste Wax work as well?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I use either Johnson's Paste Wax or Mequire's Pure Carnuba Paste Wax if I will be hunting in rainy conditions. It is a lesson I learned back in 1982 when I was hunting in the rain with my custom made full stock .54 caliber Hawken. A nice 4-point buck was 40 yards in front of me and my rifle would not fire because the stock had swelled and interfered with the hammer fall. Waxing cured that problem.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I use wax on everything. Living near the ocean and humidity, has had no effect on barrels and gunparts that are in the white. They are as good as new. You can also try spray on silicone.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks men for these replies. High humidity in hill country prompts this question. As a kid, my Dad and I would take all guns in the house once or twice a year and clean and oil them, and good company made this an enjoyable chore. I have continued this practice with my son, and realized some of our guns rarely if ever get used anymore. I thought waxing might mean a few of these could be worked over every two years, shortening this all day chore.

I have used rem oil for years and have no comp!aints. It is a fact that the all day chore has, after 40 years, become tiresome, as the collection seems to multiply.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've been using Johnsons paste wax for many years.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No difference between Johnson's and Minn Wax paste. Use whichever is cheaper, or easier to find.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve used Johnson’s , Minn and Bowling Alley brands .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

I've used Johnson's Paste Wax for long term storage as well as a couple of SAAs that get get handled more than shot. Works great. No fingerprints and it shines bright. Eezox on the inside, Johnson's on the outside. No hint of rust. Five or six bucks for a thirty years supply.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have used T/C Bore Butter bullet lube on gun steel. I just apply with a cloth, let it sit for a bit then wipe off thoughly. Smells nice and Pitney also.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Six and Gunny, why do you feel wax is contraindicated on blue guns? Is scratching a consideration here? Please be so kind as to elaborate.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

octagon wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:52 pm contraindicated
What does this word mean? ;)
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Contraindicated: a technique that should not be used
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My reply was in jest. Notice the wink?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I thought it was a word that meant Col. North should be sending it to freedom fighters in South America. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I make my my own rust preventative coating, I buy Microcrystalline Wax, grate through a cheese grater( the grater that gives you thin flakes) then mix it with White Spirit stir together until it dissolves make it thick or thin, it is the best for repelling moisture and seems to stay on bare metal even when handled. An old bloke who collected edged weapons told me the recipe,the White Spirit evaporates away and leaves a film of wax. When I buy a firearm I remove the wood work and give the steel that is hidden a treatment with the wax, let dry and assemble, then treat the entire metal of the firearm it does not seem to harm wood or lacquer finishes. I give the rifle bore a thin coat but remember to remove it before firing with White Spirit or any type of petroleum based liquid that would remove oil. It is not a lubricant just a protective coating and is great for long term storage.
Regards
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Marlinman did not notice winky , should wear my readers I guess :idea:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

octagon wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:57 am Marlinman did not notice winky , should wear my readers I guess :idea:
I sometimes forget to take off my “selective reading glasses” off and end up not reading the right way or don’t notice key points in a topic! I did my guns with Johnson’s last fall. Was happy to see no rust on them when I got back after winter. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

in SE Alaska, where we annually got over 100 feet of rain, plus snow, plus salt spray from hunting in the skiff, I used vaseline everywhere under the wood to metal areas, inside the action, except parts that could freeze, and on all exterior metal when stowed. wiped all off the outside metal so I could hold on to the gun in the woods. at night we sprayed wd-40 down the barrel until it ran out the action and left the gun next to the stove to keep moisture from condensing. this led to favoring stainless steel arms. I have also used waterproof wheel bearing grease in some guns. of course both vaseline and bearing grease will freeze, so get removed in sub-freezing temperatures.

problem with some gun oils is that you can smell them a mile away, nearly, almost, and are more highly contraindicated than our own BO as witnessed by the number of deer we have walked up on. if the witnesses could speak. :wink: