Fire Recovery Update (with some pictures)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Fire Recovery Update (with some pictures)

Post by Shasta »

It has been two months since the Carr Fire roared into Redding, California and destroyed well over a thousand homes, one of which was my own. Since members of this forum have been very caring, kind, and generous to my wife and I, I thought I should at least update you on how and what we are doing.
We rented an unfurnished house until we can rebuild a new home on our property. The process is going very slowly as we wait for the FEMA people to clear our lot of all the burned debris and damaged concrete. After that I am told it is a several months long process to deal with the city's building permit system, so we probably won't have a new home for well over a year. All this turmoil is keeping us both unhappy, nervous, and anxious to the point where neither of us is sleeping well. Each day brings more challenges, and we just want our old lives back.
We have spent thousands of dollars on furniture, bedding, kitchenwares, a vacuum cleaner, a wheelbarrow, a chainsaw, a weedeater, toolbox and tools, and all the stuff it takes just for daily living, not to mention a good bit spent to get me back into reloading, hunting, and shooting. There is a small shed in the back yard of this house, and that is where I am setting up to reload. My outfit so far is a very far cry from the extensive amount of reloading equipment and supplies I once had, but hey, it is a start! Here is a picture of my new downsized Harbor Freight reloading bench:

I set up a second bench to be used for priming and powder measuring, as well as bullet casting and sizing:

This is a picture of my modest supply of powder and bullets (all of which was donated to me by friends and fellow shooters) as well as some of the bullet moulds I bought on sale from Midway:

I bought hundreds of dollars worth of new Starline and Winchester brass, and I was gifted quite a bit of range brass for my pistols. I have some Bear Creek cast lead bullets on order that will get me by until I can get enough moulds to cast my own. It seems that the UPS or Fed Ex trucks stop by just about daily bringing more necessary stuff, so we really are slowly getting on with life. I found an old aluminum jon boat with an outboard motor and trailer for sale on Craigslist and bought it so I can go duck hunting. Season starts this month so hopefully I will get a chance to go.

Now I'll post some pictures of some of my lost treasure. Here is a pair of very expensive Montana Vintage Arms vernier tang sights and a Leatherman Wave multi-tool that was brand new:

Here is what's left of about fifty sets of reloading dies:

Here is a large pile of ruined bullet moulds; I never did find all of them in the debris:

Here is a North American Arms .22 Magnum Mini-Revolver that I overlooked that was on top of my gun safe:

And finally, the long guns that I lost:

Thankfully we were able to safely escape and I did manage to save the vast majority of my gun collection. With all the help I'm getting, much of it from the good folks on this forum, I will eventually get back into the swing of things and get my life back to normal. I hope you all know just how much I appreciate all that you have done for us.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Fire Recovery Update (with some pictures)

Post by piller »

Prayers for you and your family continue. Hang in there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta,
Those pictures took a lot out of me. That lifetime collection of moulds and dies is a sad reminder that anything can be here today-gone tomorrow...but....you saved the most important, after you and your families lives, your guns and your 55 Chevy.

Even though money has been replacing your stuff, it's different in many ways. You will always miss that old Ideal mould etc. I've been there similarly. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Shasta,
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. My wife manages an insurance agency and is all too familiar with what you are going through. It's heartbreaking to lose a lifetime of things, many that can't be replaced.
But.......it's nothing compared to someone who not only lost that, but everyone else in their family.
Your family has suffered a loss that can't be overstated.
But you are so lucky to have what matters most in this life.
I'm so glad to see you moving forward. Keep it going. We humans are resilient things.
God Bless. Keep it going!
Let us know if we can help.
Jay
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hard to look at those pictures but the fact that your here to post them is what`s important, prayers continuing for you and your loved ones.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Glad to see you gradually rebuilding your life, Shasta. I hope to gosh the city of Redding comes up with a way to expedite building approvals in the wake of this disaster; if it does not, shame on City Hall.
If the Record Searchlight has not addressed this issue, I suggest a call or e-mail to the newsroom, if not letters to the editor.
Just wondering, with careful cleaning and new springs, can the MVA sights be salvaged? If not warped by the temps, that steel doesn't have to do any heavy lifting to speak of. I would ask the good folks at MVA; they might even offer to replace.
You and yours have my prayers for patience and peace as well, friend.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It will take time to get over that awful fire but I'm glad you and yours are rebuilding your life and looking forward to the future.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Heartbreaking.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow - it makes those of us who haven't had such a tragedy appreciate what we DO have all the more. It can all be gone in an instant...

Thankfully YOU and your family survived - those are impossible to replace. The other things you'll replace most of in time.

Prayers for you guys as you try to rebuild your lives.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am sorry for anybody to lose everything like that but especially a good guy like yourself. Prayers for you and your family AND I love the attitude...my guns is burned up, my house is burned up, reloading stuff is burned up....I bought a boat and goin huntin. Well done sir.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good to see that you are moving forward. I've been in the insurance restoration business for close to 30 years and I see the devastation over and over. The emotional rollercoaster can really take it's toll on a family. Let the other's have said, you're still here and can rebuild.

I'm betting that if you send that Leatherman back with a note about what happened they will send you a new one. I sent them one a few years ago that had been damaged in a little work accident and asked them to contact me on what it would cost to fix. About two weeks later I got a brand new one in the mail with an invoice that said N/C!

Gest of luck on the repairs!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"