CBee 22's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

CBee 22's

Post by FWiedner »

Took a trip to the range today to make sure the sights on my Model 94 in .356Win are "minute of hog". Checked out pretty good. I am ready to go hunting.

I took along a couple of guns inherited from My Dad, that I am evaluating for doing some squirrel hunting in a few weeks. I have a new dog and I need some tails to train him with. Had a Winchester Model 43 in .22 Hornet and a Remington Targetmaster .22S/.22/.22LR. I also took an H&R Model 900 DA .22 revolver that I recently bought.

Shot all the .22's from 25yards.

I've got a scope on the .22 Hornet and I felt that it shot fine. Maybe 3/4" at 25yds.

The Remington is an old rifle with iron target sights and a 27" barrel. I tried a couple different load in it, and it shot everything with enough accuracy to kill a squirrel. Seemed to prefer the Mini-Mags. About 1" at 25yds. I tried some Remington CBee .22's in it. I really wanted to see how they shot out of that long barrel. They were totally silent. I had to remove the bolt and look down the bore to verify that I didn't squib. The only thing I heard was the hammer drop. The CBees are supposed to be quiet, but I was surprised at how quiet they were. They make them quiet by making them low velocity (around 710fps IIRC), and that 27" barrel slowed them down even more. They didn't shoot very well and dropped off the paper before 25yds. But they sure were quiet. I'll have to try them out in a 16" barrel.

The H&R functioned well both single and double-action. It shoots straight. A good buy, IMO.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CBee 22's

Post by JerryB »

I reckon you had a good day. I should try those Cbee loads in my old Remington 550-1. Dad bought it for me in late 1953I had to replace the firing pin several years a go.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Played with the odd box myself. Good for ariel shooting pests.
Over here they are not popular, it's easier to get an air rifle to do the same job.

Hi speed shorts are another league compared.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I use CCI CB longs for shooting Squirrels mainly for the reduced range ( when I miss ) but I have found that they are not consistent. I can't find any Remington Cbee 22s to compare. Certainly very quiet and they do hit hard enough for grey squirrels. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Marlin M39 with the 24" barrel. Several years ago I took it to the range where my best friend is the RO. I pulled it out and went to work on a target with some standard velocity Federal .22 shorts. After watching me for a few minutes he came up and tapped my on the shoulder and asked me if I was going to dry fire all day or shoot. I told him to look thru the spotting scope. He couldn't even hear the discharge. they aren't the most accurate load I can shoot in that rifle but they are quiet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Back in the day, long time ago! We got a box of cb longs to shoot rats off the phone wires. I know the stupidity of youth :roll: Well out of the rifle like you said , all you could hear was the firing pin - hammer and the bullet hit the wood we were sighting in on. Then we got the bright idea to go get the 22 Ruger revolver with a 6" barrel. We are all set, thinking this is kewl because we are not making any noise. When we set off that revolver BLAM. Oh stuff , we scrambled to get in the house before anyone could look over the fence and see us. LOL I am still shaking my head at that one. :oops:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

FW, they are great for inside-the-garage work!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always keep CBs around. All closed breech guns are darn near silent with em. Great for pesky tree rats,coons or the occasional Pennsylvania road otter( possum) {inside joke}and the like.
This Model 60A I'm working on is going to see a steady diet of CBs. From the 27" barrel they are super quite.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Aguilla Colibri are about the same. Almost silent out of my Henry .22 and they can kill a rat from 45 feet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

CCI quiets are about the same
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bronco wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm CCI quiets are about the same
I need to find some of them and try them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Didn't oldiron pop one through his hand once via a short pistol?

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bronco wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm CCI quiets are about the same
I shoot those quite a bit. Lots of fun, shooting across the barn.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWiedner wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 pm
I tried some Remington CBee .22's in it.

They didn't shoot very well and dropped off the paper before 25yds.

But they sure were quiet.

IIRC, that's because the CB's are powered solely by the priming - no gunpowder.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had Russian Ammo that was real quite, not the most accurate and the steel case was a bit sticky. One day I was shooting out of my 10/22 with Shilen match barrel and I had squib. I didn't realize it and sent another down the bore. The barrel developed a ring a few inches from the muzzle. POOF! One ruined barrel.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!