winchester 71 peep sight or fastfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

winchester 71 peep sight or fastfire

Post by Walker »

Guys, I wanted to take my Winchester 71 carbine to deer camp this year so I got to the range and discovered that the front sight is only sharp at my merit aperture's smallest setting. That's fine for anything standing still, but Do you think it's time to go to a fastfire in a Turnbull mount?

Not sure if these will let you view...
https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/ea01 ... 285ae8e87f
LRM_EXPORT_1150866614755649_20181001_124114827.jpeg
LRM_EXPORT_1150861668502022_20181001_124109881.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: winchester 71 peep sight or fastfire

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes, it's time.

I've been using reflex sights (which is what a Fastfire is) since Tasco introduced it's Optima 2000 (J-Point, Doctor) around 2001 - and found that they beat most other sighting systems for hunting situations that involve rapidly-presented close shots in darker/brushy/swampy areas.

They are a version of the "red dot" sights, which are used like a scope (no iron sights needed).

The Burris FF series are fairly expensive, as is the Turbull mounting plate, so you might want to google "reflex sights for sale).

I've had Tasco, Dr.Optic, Weaver and a few other very small reflex sights - they were all good.

The reflex sights are as fast & accurate as a receiver peepsight - but the dots tend to fade in brightly sun-lit and/or snowy areas.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nice original carbine!

I think now there are others who also manufacture reflex sight mounts that use the receiver sight holes. Just in case Turnbull is too rich for you.
If I find them I'll post the links. Rusan is one. Shipping takes a while from them since they're in Serbia.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Turnbull make a version for the barrel dovetail and one for the receiver sight holes. They are for a Burris FF3.
I just got one of the barrel mounts for my dad's old 94 Trapper. IMO, the receiver mount puts the sight too high.
The barrel mount was 50 bucks, shipped.
There are a couple pics in this post.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72202
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Naaa...why fool with originality when you can do better than what you think.

Install an ivory bead ...or a bright gold/brass bear front sight and open the merit all the way up. It may not be sharp and clear but it will be easily minute-of-deer out to 100 or so.

Nobody looks for extreme clarity on the minute details when the fur is running. Don't overthink it and keep it simple.----6

That's a nice looking 71......very desireable. (Can I have it?) :D
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a thread I put up a ways back with some sight suggestions....
> Aperture Sight Options

Here's a thread linking to several others about PRACTICAL electronic/holograph type sights on leverguns....
> Night Scout Leverguns

Lots of pictures and stuff I put together on those two threads, and the three linked to by the latter one - I hope some of the information helps you decide.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I agree with Sixgun and with the way he said it!!!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Guys, I've got a fastfire II on Dad's 94 using Turnbull's receiver mount so I'm used to it. I wanted to use the peep sights on the 71 but the problem is that with the aperture opened up the front sight is so fuzzy I see 3 images of it. I'm not sure a brighter bead is going to help. 10 years ago I still had 20/15 vision, oh well...

Jack, you're on the list same as with that Russian and S&W special 44 colt :D

Doc, I like that night scout setup.

Thanks again, considering that most of my still hunting will be in good light I might try the peep sights this year but it will probably be the last year for them.