Bullet Testing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Bullet Testing

Post by RKrodle »

As ya'll may remember from a couple of weeks ago 86er and I have been working on some light loads for the 30-30 he picked up recently. We are having great success with the accuracy of the Hornady 110 sp loaded with 22.5 grains of H4198. Worried about expansion with the Hornady's at the low speeds that we are running, right at 2000 fps, we decided to do some testing along with a load of Speer 125 gr HP TNT's. The speer load is 22 gr of H4198 at around 1900 fps. While we had ok accuracy with the 125's it was not as good as the 110's. We have also found that POI changes between the way Joe holds the rifle and the way I do, it shoots about 4 inches higher with the way I hold as compared to Joe. I think I'm holding correctly but Joe says he is :roll: Back to the testing, the test media was 1 gallon jugs filled with water. The shots where at 100 yards.

The Hornady 110 gr are on the left. They confirm our fears of no expansion. The Speers 125's did alot more damage to the water jugs and performed like what Mike Rintoul of Cast Performance/ Grizzly Cartridge said they would, he also told us the Hornady would perform just as they did. Mike is one sharp guy and if you ever need good cast bullets or loaded ammo he can't be beat.
Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Heck, you can load those Hornadys again! Think of the money you guys will save. :lol:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Filing or beltsanding the nose back to the jacket on the Hornady or Remington .30 carbine bullet makes a big difference in terminal performance especially at lower velocities.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

TedH wrote:Heck, you can load those Hornadys again! Think of the money you guys will save. :lol:
Ain't that the truth. Other than a little lead missing from the tip it didn't deform any. Oh, that reminds me I need to weigh them and see what they are now.

The 110gr Hornady weighs 108.9 and the 125 gr Speer now weighs 114.3.
Neither one lost much in weight even thou the Speer bullet lost it entire nose. Again just as Mike had said.

Ray, I thought about the 30 carbine bullets and was wondering how they would do. Do you have any experience using them in the 30-30? Will they expand at the lower velocities?
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Oh boy - I have to tell Mike he's right AGAIN. That makes, well, every time - in a row! It is kinda nice to know a walking ballistics lab. I guess we're head-shooting anything we need to take with the 110's.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ricky, the difference in holding is probably due to size of the holder. You are one of those long, tall Texans and Joe is about what height I expect from people born in the North East of the U.S. Seriously, the height and arm length difference may make the difference in hold. It can't be that either of you is a bad shot because I have seen that you are both good. Maybe, the fact the bullet starts out about a foot farther from the ground when you shoot is why it stays a little higher. Get Joe some good cowboy boots to go with that nice hat he has and maybe that will help. :wink: You know thinner air at altitude gives less resistance and therefore less drop. (For those who don't know, Ricky is about 6 and a half feet tall. I'm 5'10" and here in Texas I have a whole bunch of people who I can look up to.)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

GREAT range report!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

86er wrote: I guess we're head-shooting anything we need to take with the 110's.
I'll just give them a hair cut unless they have a really BIG head :lol: .

Piller, We'll get him hooked on some of our good hormone stuffed beef and that ought to get him going up :lol: .

Thanks Tycer, I wound up leaving some of the water jugs setting on the bench at the backstop, I picked them off with my Sako 7mm Rem Mag at 175 yards. Boy do those water jugs fly when that 162 gr Hornady hits them. It's running a hair over 3000 fps at the muzzle.
Ricky

DWWC
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

[quote="RKrodle"

Ray, I thought about the 30 carbine bullets and was wondering how they would do. Do you have any experience using them in the 30-30? Will they expand at the lower velocities?[/quote]

They will upset somewhat all the way down to 1000fps if nose is flattened and slight h.p. is ground with mototool burr. More of a dish nose like unto a dynapoint rimfire bullet than a pistol bullet h.p. The Speer varmiter is better way to go and needs no mods and has two different cannelures. It is actually less fragile than the modified .30 carbine bullet as it holds together and does not tend to shed jacket. The .30 carbine bullet costs less especially when bought in bulk and just needs a slight kiss on the belt sander. A cannelure tool is a plus but not necessary if you have the Lee crimp die. Attention to bullet/caseneck allignment is crucial with the little stubby bullets. Caseneck runout bulges can be enough in the long neck of the 30-30 case to hinder chambering. They work well with 2400, 4227, 4198 all the way up to the full power loads from the Speer manuals.