Long day in the sun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Long day in the sun

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Long day today, volunteering to help with an archaeological dig along the Rio Tularosa with David Greenwald of the Jornada Research Institute. The work itself was nothing terribly romantic -- working on one's knees using a trowel, brush and scoop to remove 1,300 years' worth of infill to reveal the floor of a large kiva built in the late 600s-early 700s. Wood from a surviving segment of one of the ponderosa pine roof support poles showed it was cut between 675 and 704 A.D. according to carbon dating -- when the area was wetter and supported a mixed forest of oak and pine -- and was inhabited by the Jornada-Mogollon people.
The large kiva we were working on was apparently the structure furthest from the creek and highest in elevation, on a Pleistocene bench well above the flood plain. Spreading out below it would have been scores of smaller pit houses, and fanning out below the "neighborhood" were terraced plots growing vegetables and herbs, watered by a sophisticated ditch system and apparently, even a reservoir.
"Our" kiva, roughly 30 feet in diameter, was used for ceremonial purposes, and at some point was "decommissioned" -- cleaned out, filled with combustibles and burned. Among the finds today were pieces of charred roof timbers that survived the fire. Other than that, artifacts were scarce -- a few flakes and a couple of bits of broken pottery. A small shard I found appeared to be El Paso brownware with a patch of red paint still clinging to it.
Archaeology can be very exciting, but in between the moments of glory, there are many long hours of hard physical labor under the sun. First thing I did when I got home was wash down aspirin with an ice cold root beer.
It was immediately clear to me why archaeologists love to recruit eager college kids to do this work ...

This is the partially exposed floor of the community kiva, which was about 9 1/2 meters in diameter. The outer arc near David's knee is where the wall stood, and in front of that is the bench that the villagers would have sat on as they watched the ceremonial dances in the cool, dark space of the kiva. The bench was coated with multiple layers of plaster -- and in some kivas the bench was painted. The plastic tarp at left covers the hearth and fire pit, which rings like ceramic when touched with a trowel; the hot fires vitrified the soil over time. Lot of hard work remains to clear the pit floor and expose the rest of the bench and walls.

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Long day in the sun

Post by octagon »

Cool !! Thanks for great post. :P
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You see a future in the past?

Seriously, it is cool to be able to look at what life was like for people who lived more than a millenium ago.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting post, thanks for sharing . I watch a lot of archeological digs on TV fascinating stuff.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is neat as all get out! I find that stuff really interesting.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Always fun exploring but being in the sun like that would kill me, very cool Bill. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool, Bill!

My minor in college was Archaeology. I was set to go on a dig in Belize on some Mayan ruins was really excited about it when I got bumped. A grad student decided he wanted to go last minute and since I was the junior member of the group I get the axe. Disappointed didn't cover it. Until however, when they got back they had all picked up some kind of intestinal parasite and had to come home early. Wasn't so upset after that!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guys, the Mescalero Apache reservation is just a few miles east of here.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:54 am Always fun exploring but being in the sun like that would kill me, very cool Bill. 8)
That is very true for me too! Thank's for the reminder buddy! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Wow! The danged old back must be treating you better if you were able to do that kind of work.

The wife and I (back in the days when I could get her out of Oregon) loved the Chaco Canyon where a few billion hours of that type "dig" work has exposed a nice batch of those Anasazi structures.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Bill, I've been following your last few posts..., what a series of adventures you've been having there in southeastern NM! Makes me truly "homesick". I envy you.

I spent many, many wonderful years of my life in that part of the world, mostly in Ruidoso and a few years each in Las Cruces and Roswell. Have hunted Mule deer and coyotes in the Carrizozo Malpais,... tough going for sure! Looked for a home in Tularosa a few years ago, due to a life change here in AR. Sadly could not swing a deal, selling my place here and making a move.

So this old man has to settle my itch by traveling for occasional trips and visits with close friends in Ruidoso and LC..., though not nearly as often as I would like. I've been fortunate to have traveled all of the state, but love Southeast New Mexico and find its history and pre-history truly fascinating. Congratulations to you on your interesting work and projects.

One question, ...where are the headwaters of Carrizozo Creek?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Bill, don't know where my mind was on the Carrizozo Creek question, duh! Meant to ask about the location of headwaters of the Rio Tularosa. It's heck getting old!!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dig it, Bill ! ;)

Only, if it was me, I'd be one of those asshats with a sunbrella atop my head...………. :roll:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Goatguy, the Rio Tularosa arises in the north near Apache Summit on Highway 70 and to the south deep in the Mescalero Reservation. The two main forks meet just east of Mescalero and the stream picks up some flow from the spring-fed Nogal Creek near Bent. It used to be a shallow stream that meandered through meadows before spilling down toward the basin floor, but it suddenly cut a deep, narrow channel in the 1930s, due apparently to a drying climate and damage to the watershed from overgrazing. This happened to other watercourses in the basin in the years before and during World War II. It's kind of weird.
Affordable homes in Tularosa are hard to find; I looked. In Ruidoso they often present snow issues in winter and wildfire risk in spring/summer. Alamo is still pretty affordable but it has its homely sections for sure.