8 Shot Redhawks. ..What Say You?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

8 Shot Redhawks. ..What Say You?

Post by Blaine »

Thinking about it with very heavy 180s.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 8 Shot Redhawks. ..What Say You?

Post by AJMD429 »

Can't go wrong with a Redhawk in my opinion, whether 5 shots, 6 shots, 7 shots, or 8 shots. I like strong tough revolvers, and no DA revolver I've ever heard of tops the Redhawk.

Heck, I'd buy one in 32-20 that was 9-shots....!

Not the ultimate CCW gun, mind you, but even for that, an un-tucked shirt and a 45 Colt/45 ACP moon-clip model would do right nice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have two Redhawks and love them. A .44 Magnum 4" and a .45 Colt 7.5"
For some reason the 7 and 8 shot revolvers have never appealed to me. Mine are all 5-shot J-frame or 6-shooters. Now a USFA 12-shot .22 appealed to me for some reason. I wish I would have bought one before they went under. I think someone else is making one now. Uberti.

Nice thing about guns Blaine....you want one, you buy it, you don't like it, you sell it. Even if you lose money (rare) you had fun for less than the cost of movie and popcorn for 1 to 3 nights
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:16 pm Heck, I'd buy one in 32-20 that was 9-shots....!

Not the ultimate CCW gun, mind you, but even for that, an un-tucked shirt and a 45 Colt/45 ACP moon-clip model would do right nice.
I'd love to have a modern Double action revolover capable of shooting HV .32-20 rounds. I've been thinking of converting an SP101 or maybe a GP100

I will eventually buy me a 5032 Redhawk in ,45 Colt./.45 ACP
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I’d like it alot more if it had a 5” barrel. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I almost bought that short barreled backpacker .357 more than once. I went with S&W just because it fit what I wanted it for a little better. I may wnd up with one yet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Redhawk is quite the pistol to do what you want with. Hamilton Bowen does a bunch of conversions with them. AJMD429, if the ACA is ever repealed and you start getting paid fairly again for what you do, you should buy a Redhawk and have Mr. Bowen adapt it to a heavy duty .32-20 for you. It would probably work well for that caliber.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Y'all prolly figgered out I was talking about .357 :oops:
I guess what I was wondering is if there is enough steel in an eight shot RedHawk Cyl to handle the very hottest heavy 357 loads...

3LT, Five inch was what I was thinking.

I have a 50th Anniversary BlackHawk .357 that I ran heavy loads in, but I had to send it back to Ruger after it got real loose in the cyl. I don't know if it was the heavy loads, or not. Ruger sent it back to me looking like new and never asked for a penny. It's a dandy shooter and I don't want to take a chance damaging it again.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here's my take. I've shot 6 and 8 shot revolvers in .357 mag. The only difference I can find is that the 8 shot models tend to be heavier and bulkier. They aren't one bit more accurate. And really, if I think I'm going to need more that six rounds for anything, it's time for air or artillery support. Or at the very least a USMC fire team.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I completely missed your point. I really don’t think you could hurt a red hawk with even the original 45,000psi factory loads. My friend had one of the 50th models in .357, it was a loose thing from the start. Ruger did fix it nicely. He shot mostly shot only .38 milksop type loads in it since new! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:18 pm Y'all prolly figgered out I was talking about .357 :oops:
I guess what I was wondering is if there is enough steel in an eight shot RedHawk Cyl to handle the very hottest heavy 357 loads...
Yeah we knew. (Since you said 8-shot) But, thread drift, ya know....

Redhawks are tough. And if you do tear it up, you already know what to do.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, I would be interested if it could be converted to .357 Maximum. That round had a heck of a potential -- on the heels of the .35 Remington.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

An 8 shot heavy frame 357? It would be a novelty gun for a very small percentage of handgun people, being worthless for most practical applications at which handguns do duty. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm An 8 shot heavy frame 357? It would be a novelty gun for a very small percentage of handgun people, being worthless for most practical applications at which handguns do duty. ----6
Well, yeah, but.......it would be FUN, and COOL....! 8) :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm An 8 shot heavy frame 357? It would be a novelty gun for a very small percentage of handgun people, being worthless for most practical applications at which handguns do duty. ----6
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:18 pm
I have a 50th Anniversary BlackHawk .357 that I ran heavy loads in, but I had to send it back to Ruger after it got real loose in the cyl.

I don't know if it was the heavy loads, or not.

You can bet your bippy, the cause was heavy loads.

The 50th Anniversary Blackhawk's were made on the smaller 3-screw sized frame, just like a Colt SAA - heavy loads are contra-indicated for them.

The standard Blackhawks were made on a larger frame, the same size as the Super Blackhawk, and are much stronger/stouter.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:16 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll:
A redhawk is just a pocket-gun to some of us.
m.A.g.a. !
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Heads up for those of you who expressed interest in the 45Colt/45ACP Redhawks. As an avid fan of that caliber I purchased a new one of the Redhawk variety
assuming ,falsely, that my moon clips from my S&W's and Colts would fit in nicely. WRONG!!! Not compatible at all. Although the cartridges will chamber OK
the cylinder will NOT close. The Ruger clips accompanying the revolver are made of thinner stock (.008"thinner) than the S&W. Both items are made by Ranch Products Co. and either can be acquired but DON'T get them mixed up. BAD JU-JU. To say that I was disappointing is an understatement. The Ruger went down the road. Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Novelty..."hey Griff, look what I got". :D

An 8 shot 357 Redhawk is going to be a big heavy gun, especially fully loaded. Totally worthless for any kind of self defense carrying....nightstand would be ok,, but unwieldy.

For obvious reasons, while the 357 is a great cartridge, it is not your standard caliber for deer sized game and larger. We all know what those cartridges are. It's also worthless for small game, unless you load shot cartridges for snakes or a woodsbumming gun for general protection.....then your gonna choose a "normal" sized handgun, not a four pounder.

I guess that leaves off the bench, over the hood, tailgate plinking or maybe for hammering in wanted posters......or a conversation piece on Leverguns. :D

I see these guns all the time...but chambered in normal sized Smiths and Wessons......and they sit a while before they sell. When the 8 shot Smiths first hit the market, they were hot....for people who could afford them.----6
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pepe Ray wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:21 pm Heads up for those of you who expressed interest in the 45Colt/45ACP Redhawks. As an avid fan of that caliber I purchased a new one of the Redhawk variety
assuming ,falsely, that my moon clips from my S&W's and Colts would fit in nicely. WRONG!!! Not compatible at all. Although the cartridges will chamber OK
the cylinder will NOT close. The Ruger clips accompanying the revolver are made of thinner stock (.008"thinner) than the S&W. Both items are made by Ranch Products Co. and either can be acquired but DON'T get them mixed up. BAD JU-JU. To say that I was disappointing is an understatement. The Ruger went down the road. Pepe Ray
Thanks. I wondered about that. I have a ton of clips left over from a previous 325.
They're cheap enough, though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:33 pm Novelty..."hey Griff, look what I got". :D

An 8 shot 357 Redhawk is going to be a big heavy gun, especially fully loaded. Totally worthless for any kind of self defense carrying....nightstand would be ok,, but unwieldy.

For obvious reasons, while the 357 is a great cartridge, it is not your standard caliber for deer sized game and larger. We all know what those cartridges are. It's also worthless for small game, unless you load shot cartridges for snakes or a woodsbumming gun for general protection.....then your gonna choose a "normal" sized handgun, not a four pounder.

I guess that leaves off the bench, over the hood, tailgate plinking or maybe for hammering in wanted posters......or a conversation piece on Leverguns. :D

I see these guns all the time...but chambered in normal sized Smiths and Wessons......and they sit a while before they sell. When the 8 shot Smiths first hit the market, they were hot....for people who could afford them.----6
:lol: Nope...Yer not gonna get my goad.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ah, come on Blaine....cut me some slack......I had a BAD day today...very bad.

I've been practicing at the club for several weeks for the "big match"....a 2-500 meter match at little bitty steel targets off the bench.....had the new heavy barreled (m-24 military sniper barrel with the 5r rifling) Remington .308 with the new Vortex scope shooting expensive match bullets and drilling little holes with them waaaaayyyy out there...and.........the "big day" came....today. I'm all excited, large crowd of shooters from several states.........I was determined to win...or at least show.....then........then.....then....

I could not hit squat....bang! two inches off the steel animal......bang.....four inches under....bang..6" over.......once in a while I got one......my spotter says, "Yo,man, what you doing.....yo be bad"......I was burning up...more as the day went by.....then.....then.....

about 7/8 th's of the way through the match I found the problem.......loose base mount to the receiver. :twisted: -----6. Oh well sheeeeeeeettt happens. :D
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:14 am Ah, come on Blaine....cut me some slack......I had a BAD day today...very bad.

I've been practicing at the club for several weeks for the "big match"....a 2-500 meter match at little bitty steel targets off the bench.....had the new heavy barreled (m-24 military sniper barrel with the 5r rifling) Remington .308 with the new Vortex scope shooting expensive match bullets and drilling little holes with them waaaaayyyy out there...and.........the "big day" came....today. I'm all excited, large crowd of shooters from several states.........I was determined to win...or at least show.....then........then.....then....

I could not hit squat....bang! two inches off the steel animal......bang.....four inches under....bang..6" over.......once in a while I got one......my spotter says, "Yo,man, what you doing.....yo be bad"......I was burning up...more as the day went by.....then.....then.....

about 7/8 th's of the way through the match I found the problem.......loose base mount to the receiver. :twisted: -----6. Oh well sheeeeeeeettt happens. :D
Hmmmmph...If you'd used a 8 shot RedHawk ya might of won something....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I woke up today .....(ten min. ago...it's now 1 pm) :D to a new perspective. I'm thinking, "who in the heck needs a valid/working reason to buy anything?" I previously was thinking from a manufacturers viewpoint.

I say we hassle Ruger for an eight shot Redhawk in 357 and a ten shot in 32-20----6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm I woke up today .....(ten min. ago...it's now 1 pm) :D to a new perspective. I'm thinking, "who in the heck needs a valid/working reason to buy anything?" I previously was thinking from a manufacturers viewpoint.

I say we hassle Ruger for an eight shot Redhawk in 357 and a ten shot in 32-20----6
They already make the 8 shot Redhawk.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 pm
Sixgun wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm I woke up today .....(ten min. ago...it's now 1 pm) :D to a new perspective. I'm thinking, "who in the heck needs a valid/working reason to buy anything?" I previously was thinking from a manufacturers viewpoint.

They already make the 8 shot Redhawk.
Dang! That's why I was a forklift driver and not a marketing man! For real, I know little about today's guns...what's hot and what's not.....In my above description of my weekend, I should have known to check the screws...but on the other hand, the old heads I was with should have known too...or maybe they did and just wanted to eliminate some friendly competition. :D

Either way, I told the guys we are not winning Cadillacs and I'll most likely wake up the next day.

But.....they will know who's boss this coming Saturday during the big bore handgun silhouette match where I have excelled this year. Scores are on the website. www.atglensportsmensclub.org Just click on "shooting" , then the discipline/disciplines I play.....I do good in some, some not so good, some lucky but none are great. Matches are 40 shots and a "28x40" means that person got 28 knockdowns out of 40. Everything is metallic silhouette shooting......they have to go down in order to count.

I tell ya, if it was not for the shooting sports, I might as well be dead. That's why we conservatives are the "silent majority".....we stay quiet until the Pelosi hits the fan and then THEY had better watch out.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd rather have a common 6 shooter. If I wanted 8 shots I'd go for a .45 ACP pistol and have 8 bigger shots, plus extra magazines.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 pm I'd rather have a common 6 shooter. If I wanted 8 shots I'd go for a .45 ACP pistol and have 8 bigger shots, plus extra magazines.
In my non-expert opinion, the 180 grain hardcast .357 are superior in penetration to anything .45acp....I welcome proof to the contrary.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 4" Redhawk in .44 Mag my wife bought me for Christmas a few years back. I have to tell you that is one heavy hunk of iron. I either carry it in a Simply Ruged Sourdough with carpenter's suspenders on my pants or in a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller rig.

Good Luck! you'll like the Redhawk.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 pm I'd rather have a common 6 shooter. If I wanted 8 shots I'd go for a .45 ACP pistol and have 8 bigger shots, plus extra magazines.
In my non-expert opinion, the 180 grain hardcast .357 are superior in penetration to anything .45acp....I welcome proof to the contrary.
True, but maybe even too much penetration. The same type hard cast in a .45ACP will penetrate enough, without over penetrating.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am
BlaineG wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm
True, but maybe even too much penetration. The same type hard cast in a .45ACP will penetrate enough, without over penetrating.
I recognize your opinion. I'd still like a revolver to go with my Henry Big Boy .357.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV