article ..... .30-30 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

article ..... .30-30 Winchester

Post by new pig hunter »

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: article ..... .30-30 Winchester

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for the article. I have taken all of my deer through the years with a 94 30wcf or a Kentucky .45 black powder rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My dad saved all his spare money and bought me a pre-64 94 carbine in 30-30 when i was a kid. I shot my first deer with it.
At a still young age, I got into old Winchesters and spent all my money buying them and the stuff to shoot em.
Because of this, I hunted with all kinds of guns over many years.
Now I've come full circle. I'm going back to a 94 carbine in 30-30. I feel I can make a pretty educated opinion having used so many other rifles.
A 94 carbine in 30WCF, at least in my neck of the woods, is impossible to beat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

My first centerfire, my first deer, my longest shot ( 200 yards. 1 round, DRT) and my biggest buck ( a fine 9 pointer) all have one thing in common. The .30-30. Getting it done, fuss free, since 1895.
Oh. My last centerfire, a Savage Model 99, also a .30-30. If I can't get it done with that rifle, I shouldn't be trying to do it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....I like it....I shot 100 rds out of 786022, a 26" oct. barreled rifle from 100-500 meters today. Can't get enough of the 30-30....or any caliber for that matter.

Hey Old Win......did you know your dad was $17 short when he bought you that first rifle? Well, I saw him at a gunshow, listening to the conversation with the dealer so........ I gave him the money to buy the gun knowing full well that the future owner would be a top notch Winchester man....he grew up to be a really nice guy...athletic, knowledgeable, great family guy, hard worker......in legend and folk lure he is known as "The Winchester man with the Buffalo coat."

You have come far, young man!.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:14 am Yea....I like it....I shot 100 rds out of 786022, a 26" oct. barreled rifle from 100-500 meters today. Can't get enough of the 30-30....or any caliber for that matter.

Hey Old Win......did you know your dad was $17 short when he bought you that first rifle? Well, I saw him at a gunshow, listening to the conversation with the dealer so........ I gave him the money to buy the gun knowing full well that the future owner would be a top notch Winchester man....he grew up to be a really nice guy...athletic, knowledgeable, great family guy, hard worker......in legend and folk lure he is known as "The Winchester man with the Buffalo coat."

You have come far, young man!.-------6
Haha well you musta been hiding! I was there when he bought it off my old bud and Winchester mentor.
My dad gave me a choice between the 94 or a brand new Ruger 44 carbine. Didn't even pick up the Ruger.

But thanks for the accolades buddy.
I will tell you a secret....I was really touched by your trust in me to show me your gun room. And......you left me alone in there for a couple minutes!
Boy, that was chancy! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No Jay......not chancy at all......there only been a dozen different people down there....other than family members......and I make em pass the "honesty and integrity test" before I show them.....which is a simple test just by me looking into their eyes when they talk. Your good bro...----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

With the right bullets and good shot placement, the .30-30 has taken everything on the North American continent. It is tough to beat that record in a mild recoiling lever action cartridge. I guess it could be improved upon, such as P.O. Ackley did, but the fact still remains that it is an effective cartridge just as it is without any improvements. I am not a great shot, so I would use a little more gun if I planned on hunting bear or hunting in bear country. I doubt that I would be able to use a handgun with loads meant for human troublemakers as effectively as that guide from New Mexico did when he unexpectedly encountered a bear which wanted to fight. In certain situations, I carry a handgun while hunting. In bear country, I would have to ask a lot of questions of the guide. Knowing my own lack of experience is why I would opt for more gun in bear country. According to a bunch of people who have been there and done it, the .30-30 works on black bears.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rwt
Levergunner

Post by rwt »

If I purchase a pre-64 Winchester 94 in 30-30, I will want to add an aperture sight-preferably either a vintage Lyman 66A or Redfield (don't know the model number).

Can you all tell me if I will need to replace the front sight? I would shoot factory 150 or 170 gr bullets or their hand loaded equivalents.

Thank you.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Some have had to. I, myself, have never needed to change one on the many I've installed receiver sights on.
On barrel lengths from 16-24 inches.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

OldWin wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:47 pm Some have had to. I, myself, have never needed to change one on the many I've installed receiver sights on.
On barrel lengths from 16-24 inches.
I have not either. 1952 30wcf with a redfield receiver sight and ranch dog gas check.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

going Mule Deer hunting with my REMarlin 336Y in 30-30 (16.25" barrel) in two weeks. i've tried other rifles and cartridges but always come back to the 336 and the 30-30... :)