OT - credit card issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

OT - credit card issue

Post by GunnyMack »

So about 2 weeks ago I got an email from 'Amazon' requesting me to change my password.
Today my credit card bill- 2 charges to Amazon that I didnt make.
I tried to log in and my email is INVALID. Call Amazon and they cant confirm I'm ME ! Now i have to wait until they contact me to confirm who i am...
Called my credit card company and now my card has a HOLD order until further notice.
Meanwhile I'm on the hook for almost 200 bucks!

BEWARE emails asking you to change your passwords!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - credit card issue

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OUCH! :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So.....did things go bad AFTER you changed the password, or before....??? I'm confused.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sorry you got suckered, Gunny...….. :cry:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Doc I remember getting the change email but I dont remember actually changing it.
I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out exactly what happened.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

One must be cautious when those kind of emails arrive. I would never click on a link that is embedded within the email to change any setting on any website. Counterfeit links that come in emails which appear legitimate can direct your personal information where you do not want it to be. Going to a website (like Amazon) through your regular route to change settings should be safe. Hope your problem is resolved quickly.
NRA life member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, I NEVER use a link sent to me in an e-mail. I will go to a website, log in, and change my password there if I have to. My passwords are usually 12 or more characters long, and use a combination of lower & upper case letters, numbers and symbols. They look like gibberish, but are actually the letters of phrases. I also don't use the same password for any other entity.

I learned all this the hard way. :evil: That's why I advocate for lynching hackers and other online vermin... :evil: :evil: :evil:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If we lunched hackers, it might decrease the crime.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

New email from Amazon this morning , they have removed the false email from my account, I can now access the account after resetting a new password .

I'm on board for linching hackers, drug dealers, muggers, rapist's and lying political types... Maybe that last one should be drawn & quartered...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

As noted above - NEVER CLICK A LINK SENT IN AN EMAIL ASKING YOU TO ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT. The email software I used on the computer lets me see the actual URL and not just the text. Several times I've received emails that looked legitimate but which were actually phishing emails looking to capture data. It's a dead giveaway when they ask for me to go to Citibank or some other entity which does NOT have an account of mine, still it's been a good education to see what lengths they'll go to to get info they can use.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Sorry you got had, man!

No legitimate entity will EVAH email you asking you to change your password
via an email link. If you get such an email, somebody's trying to take advantage
of you. Open no links in any such email, and delete it immediately.

If you want to change a password, log in to the site as you normally would and
change it.

-Stretch
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here's the thing, amazon sends you an email with a temporary code so you can change your password. The first one I got a few weeks ago was EXACTLY the same as the one they sent this morning.
I know well enough to not reply to an email with just a link attached.
Funny thing is the 2 charges to amazon that I was not sure of actually WERE me! If I hadn't questioned those purchases I wouldn't have known the account was hacked!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Modern technology! The only way a predator can get my money is to hold a gun to my head......if he can get close enough with the precautions I take.......here..cash is king.

In Sixgunland, credit cards are no-no. We do have a debit card and the only time there is money in it is when I'm anticipating a purchase, we transfer the exact amount, use it, then the balance is back to zero. Being pals with the people who run the bank also helps a lot....they know I seldom spend more than $50 on a debit card. Even if someone gets my info, my credit score is Zero......just the way I like it.

Neither a borrower or a lender, I'll be.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 pm My passwords are usually 12 or more characters long, and use a combination of lower & upper case letters, numbers and symbols. They look like gibberish, but are actually the letters of phrases...
Ysabel Kid did not write those words! Someone has hacked his leverguns account!

Jay's passwords would be: "Savage99", "SturmRuger327", "SmithWesson357", "Winchester3030", "45Colt1911" etc. :wink:

And I agree -- HANGING miscreats swiftly (within 1 month of the arrest) would help reduce a lot of this stuff.

Old - and getting ornery - No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yes, Gunny - a lot of sites do that when you want to change a password.

Here's the kicker: Did YOU specifically request that you wanted to change
your password?

If you didn't request a password change, the email is bogus. Unsolicited emails
asking for any personal details should get deleted.

If you did request suchlike of Amazon, then that's a sophisticated hacker.....

In either case, you still have my sympathies! :(

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If some basement dwelling scum sucking rat wants what you have bad enough, they can probably find a way to steal from you. If thieves were punished with death, it would probably deter most of those who haven't started but want to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bmtshooter wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm One must be cautious when those kind of emails arrive. I would never click on a link that is embedded within the email to change any setting on any website. Counterfeit links that come in emails which appear legitimate can direct your personal information where you do not want it to be. Going to a website (like Amazon) through your regular route to change settings should be safe. Hope your problem is resolved quickly.
This. Exactly this

Never ever ever click on a link in an email. Always go through the website and access your account.
I do so even if I think the email is legit.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:25 pm My passwords are usually 12 or more characters long, and use a combination of lower & upper case letters, numbers and symbols. They look like gibberish, but are actually the letters of phrases...
Ysabel Kid did not write those words! Someone has hacked his leverguns account!

Jay's passwords would be: "Savage99", "SturmRuger327", "SmithWesson357", "Winchester3030", "45Colt1911" etc. :wink:

And I agree -- HANGING miscreats swiftly (within 1 month of the arrest) would help reduce a lot of this stuff.

Old - and getting ornery - No7
First, I'll supply the rope for any "cottonwood hoe down" anyone wants to host for any of these hackers! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Second, you are close OldNo7, but the words are recognizable in those passwords above. Honestly guys, I read an article years ago that said that any password under a dozen or so digits can be hacked in less than 24 hours. Probably faster now. And that drops off to minutes if a real word appears anywhere in the password. You really need to make it random gibberish, but the phrase idea helps you remember it!