AWA Lightning 45 Colt Rifle, How strong is it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

AWA Lightning 45 Colt Rifle, How strong is it?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been trying to get this little rifle cycling correctly and it's close and such a handy little thing. I could easily fall for it. All it needs is a tang sight and maybe a little massaging to feed better. What I'm wondering is if it will handle a little stronger than cowboy loads? Right now I'm shooting 250 grain cast and 8.5 grains of Herco. Accurate load and would probably handle most situations. I could run on to a big boar in my woods and I can't run from him. Not wanting to go to 454 level, just a little more.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: AWA Lightning 45 Colt Rifle, How strong is it?

Post by Sixgun »

Sure....you could go a little more with safety and longevity being fine. I've got 4,000+ out of an original Colt Lightning...made in 1888.... 38-40 with loads about equal to yours in pressure...8 of Unique, 8.5 of Herco, and 7 of 231 with 180-200 grain cast. Another Lightning in 32-20 has eaten up a bit over a thousand with 5 of Unique and a 115...that one is a first model made in 86. One in 44-40 has only been shot very little....safe queen with a two digit serial number.

I'd say you could safely shoot 9-9.5 of Unique or 10 of Herco...I LOVE Herco..just a tad slower than Unique. Another thing you could do is use the Lyman 200 gr. SWC with 10 of Unique to keep pressure down a little and still have good killing power.....if....if it will feed...only way to find out is to try them at different seating depths.

You could also try a slower burning powder of which I have very little experience....such as Blue Dot, AA #7, or 2400.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I'm not familiar with AWA. I looked at their web site and see only an SAA and the Lightning. I imagine these are Uberti products, but why do they offer such a small subset of the Uberti line?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When I had the Uberti '73 in .45 colt I wanted a load that would that would be close to the original 44-40 load. in the Hodgdon reloading handbook they list 200 grain bullet with 13 grains of HS-6 powder. using lead bullets the load averaged 1360 fps . a lot of fun to shoot .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

KWK, AWA (American Western Arms) imported Armi San Marco SAAs. They were a very good product just like a Colt, not over sized like Uberti. Sadly ASM went under and left AWA without a product. I'm sure there's more to it but that's what I remember. Oh yeah, they lost a lawsuit to Colt. I think they made the Lightning here though. I'm mostly concerned about the design of the action. I know it works like propping a door shut with a chair under the knob. Guess I can take it apart and see for myself just how robust the parts are.

6,Thanks for all those loads and reminders. I haven't been shooting 45 Colt much lately as I'm into 44-40 the last 30 years. I'm pretty sure the 250/8.5 Herco will take down most anything. Probably even good medicine for a big hog. I don't remember if these bullets are 30:1 or 20:1 but would want the harder ones for the porcine critter.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My guess is they could stand up to a little goosing -- but why risk your guns and yourself based on my guess or anyone else's? Especially when a no-more-than-standard-level load out of a handgun or a rifle is a formidable thing, and just what the design was meant to handle.

Max chamber pressures for the standard .38-40 and .45 Colt are the same -- 14,000 psi.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Everyone wants to put a 427 in a go-kart.... I don't get it....

(OK, maybe a bit exaggerated..!!)

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Naaaa....MM is not looking to magnumize his 45 Colt....he just wants a little more than SAAMI specs that were standardized for original black powder guns with many of those guns being worn out junkers or trash from another country in a different time. Today's replicas are made with modern steel and other technology. Pushing a gun like his to the extreme limit would be in the neighborhood of 24-26 grains of a slow burning powder.

I've been told that a 250 grain cast bullet will kill anything in North America at reasonable ranges.

The loads I quoted him (I'm no ballistician) are more likely below the next level of power..18K.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD