Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade

Post by GunnyMack »

Got a call from a friend that got this 70 for a song, including a Nikon scope for $500.00.
Here's the kicker, the safety doesn't work!
I told him to contact Winchester about it. They told him to send it in on their dime. Couple weeks later he gets it back and they didn't fix the gun. They said its discontinued so no parts were available.

So he brought it over this evening.
Upon inspection the 3 position safety would not rotate from safe( rear) to fire ( forward).
I had a pretty good idea what was happening.
Yup exactly what I thought, the safety was not fit properly. The cam surface was too sharp to rotate against the cocking piece. So a little file work and Cratex wheel to polish the offending surface and BINGO a perfectly working safety!

I suspect whoever looked at the gun at Winchester had no idea how to diagnose what was going on.
He's a happy camper now!
Oh and I had to make a tool to compress the FP spring so I could get the retainer back in!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade

Post by 2ndovc »

That's cool!

I've wanted a pre-war .30-'06 forever. When I have the $ I can't find what I want and when I don't they're everywhere. :shock:

Jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gunny,
Over the years, I have noticed that keeping the external parts of the M70 safety clean can keep it from sticking and failing to move from safe to fire position.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I thought maybe it was filthy but this gun is LNIB. There was not a spec of dirt inside the shroud.
The safety would hit a wall when trying to move it fore & aft. The wall was steel , it just wouldn't rotate due to a sharp edge.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

way to go!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good job well done !!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15