IMR 3031 Replacement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

IMR 3031 Replacement

Post by milton »

I need some help finding a powder.I have been loading IMR 3031 in a Brit No. 5 rifle with 123 grain Hornady FMJ bullets and if possible I would like to find a powder that will still safely give me the high velocities I get now but will be easier to meter in a powder measure.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
piller
Posting leader...

Re: IMR 3031 Replacement

Post by piller »

Have you tried H335? It is a ball powder, and meters well for me. It is not a new powder, but 3031 is not new either. I have heard CFE 223 does good in some of the 30 caliber rounds, but have no personal experience with it. H335 has worked well for me recently in my 30-30 when I couldn't find IMR 3031 anywhere. Accuracy was just as good for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you,I will see how it works in QuickLOAD before I buy some!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I use CFE223 in my 308, good velocity and its accurate.
I try to stick with ball powders as much as possible. However I have found IMR 4895 is very good in a lot of my guns so I keep 8# on hand.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Reloader 15 does very well in my .303's as well as my .300 Savage and 30/30's.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've had good luck with CFE223 in my Grendels , but I drop it from the meter relatively close to the desired charge weight and then trickle in more as the pan sits on the scale . Not saying it doesn't meter close enough I just prefer to weight the charge most times .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

When I saw the title of this post I thought they were discontinuing 3031 and panic had briefly set it. I see now it's just a metering issue with those long extruded sticks. Crisis averted.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am I've had good luck with CFE223 in my Grendels , but I drop it from the meter relatively close to the desired charge weight and then trickle in more as the pan sits on the scale . Not saying it doesn't meter close enough I just prefer to weight the charge most times .

For loading the small quantity of hunting ammo, this works just fine.
Merle from PA
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Merle wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am I've had good luck with CFE223 in my Grendels , but I drop it from the meter relatively close to the desired charge weight and then trickle in more as the pan sits on the scale . Not saying it doesn't meter close enough I just prefer to weight the charge most times .

For loading the small quantity of hunting ammo, this works just fine.
Years ago I “used to think” I needed 50 loaded rounds per rifle before the beginning of deer season and I’d usually have 3-7 rifles I planned on using . Now I might have one rifle with 3-5 different bullets another rifle with a couple bullets etc . Now after sight ins if I have ten of each specific bullet I’m fine .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I get good results in my .303s with IMR 4198, but use an electronic powder measure and scale for each round. I don't remember it giving me a hard time back when I used an old Hollywood Gun Shop powder measure. The RCBS is far more accurate.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have an RCBS powder measure that meters the IMR "stick" powders with good results and has done so for 50 years.
Jack
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

What about Varget? I bought some to try with cast in my .30-30s and have also used with cast in my son's Enfield. Pretty happy with it.

Post by GoatGuy »

jhrosier wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:36 am I have an RCBS powder measure that meters the IMR "stick" powders with good results and has done so for 50 years.
Jack
Same for me..., only 40 years with the 47 year old "hand me down" RCBS measure gifted to me by a friend.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

You guys with the RCBS powder measures,how close does your measure throw loads with powders like 3031 and how repeatable are they?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

milton wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:16 amYou guys with the RCBS powder measures,how close does your measure throw loads with powders like 3031 and how repeatable are they?
I can usually get to within a tenth grain, but it's a matter of how hard I "knock" the end of each stroke. Consistency in the "knock" is the key to me throwing really close loads. This is true of any powder I use, but it's much easier with ball or flake powders such as; RE7, BL(C)2, CFE223, etc. Even the shorter extruded powders tend to be less troublesome. Each loading session, I tend to throw several charges, weighing each one until I get 5 that are within that tenth of a grain, then I throw 9 charges directly into the cases, measuring on the 10th. Repeat for 4 times, & I have a box of 50. Between each box, (seldom do I load more than a 100 rounds of any rifle cartridge), I simply drop at least two measured loads in the electronic measure pan to confirm my consistency, then do the next batch of 50. From start to finish I'm at this one task for about an hour. During that time, I'll have my pistol rounds tumbling and usually load about 100 or 200 empty pistol cases from 1 to 3 different cartridges on the Dillon. Most often these are 45 Colt, Cowboy45Special & 45ACP. Sometimes, I'll load some 38 Special, to knock down that backlog of (now only) 4,000 empties!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you very much,I will give that a try.I know if I load Unique for revolver rounds if I ease the top and bottom strokes of my measure I get very consistant amounts of powder dispensed .I'll see what I can do with the 3031.