Little Texas treat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Little Texas treat

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Back to Hueco Tanks this morning for a tour of some of the rock art, accessible only by guide. This was a relatively short tour up Mescalero Canyon to Comanche Cave. Started at Site 17, where great-great uncle Millard carved his name, and then we proceeded south into the center of the park. It was a wildlife day. I passed two oryx standing just off Highway 54 south of Orogrande, and then we pushed up an aoudad ewe and her kid in Mescalero Canyon near a cave where 10 Kiowas managed to escape the Mexican army in 1839. Saw a barn owl, and a snoozing rattlesnake coiled in a crack in the rocks.

This is upper Mescalero Canyon in the heart of the tanks. The impounded water is a remnant of a stock pond behind a dam built in the 1800s early 1900s by the ranch family that lived at the tanks. The diagonal slash of rock and shadow center right is Comanche Cave, and at the head of the canyon is another cave complex that Kiowa warriors used to escape the Mexican army in 1839. We pushed up an aoudad ewe and her kid here.

This is a Tiguan map of sorts, the three-sided box and arrow within the sun believed to tell wanderers from the tribe how to return to their homelands here in New Mexico.
I learned the hard way that within these caves and overhangs, even with seemingly abundant ambient light on a brilliant day in early fall, your camera may seem to have enough light, but the exposures are longer than you think and you need a tripod or at least a very serious effort to hold still to get decent focus. Will get it right next time!

These are the five dancers of the mountain gods. I have forgotten if the story is Kiowa, Tiguan or Apache. The legend is that two warriors, one blinded in one eye and one with an injured leg, were left by their party with food and water in a cave, and a stone rolled in front of the cave to keep them safe until their tribesmen could return. The two ran out of food and water and were feeling helpless when they became aware of five dancers -- four of them white and one of them black -- within their hiding place. As the figures danced around them, one used a sword to slash the warrior with the injured eye, and he could see, and slash the warrior with the injured leg, and he could walk. And finally the figure slashed the boulder blocking the cave entrance and the boulder vanished. The two men left the cave and below them were hundreds of people -- their tribe, joyfully waiting to receive them.

This is a finely detailed pictograph -- painted versus a petroglyph pecked -- attributed to the Jornada-Mogollon peoples, A.D. 200-1400. Possibly red ochre mixed with a binder and painted with a fiber brush made from sotol.

At Site 17 at the tanks, beneath the overlying lettering done in the grease from wagon axles, you can see a horse rearing with its rider -- attributed to the Mescalero Apache, who of course knew the horse, a "recent" arrival. Many people signed this wall at the tanks near what was believed to be a Butterfield stage station -- including my great-great uncle on July 25, 1884.

It was cool in the shade of this overhang when someone noticed Mr. Buzztail all curled up in this crack, wondering no doubt why it was darned chilly.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Little Texas treat

Post by gamekeeper »

Very interesting photos and post, thank you for sharing Bill.
I love all these snippets of American history..... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for posting. The pics and history are great! 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Now that is cool. Thanks :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Time well spent ... thank you for the pictures!

:wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Bill, thanks for the tour. That is what we would stop for on trip, just glad I could see it with you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Glad y'all are getting a kick out of these. Here is my great great uncle's "signature" on the cave wall at Site 17 -- about 10 feet from that Apache horse. He and brother Jim were leading the family's cattle and horses from Buffalo Gap, Texas, to La Luz, New Mexico, when Millard carved this. Sorry if I have shared it before, and forgotten. Boy, there is a lot of history in these parts -- layer upon layer.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool pics Bill, looked like a fun day thanks for sharing. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Hueco Tanks are spoken of by James Gillett in his first person history account "6 years with the Texas Rangers". This book is available still. It is a good read and an insight on how the lived, traveled and fought back then. IIRC I bought a copy for a friend from Barnes&Noble several years back.

TomF
Last edited by TomF on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Lenn.
Fellas, I almost hesitate to share this one, but the Comanche Cave was among other things the site of coming-of-age ceremonies, including something like circumcision. I am sure that YEOOOOWWW! still translates after all these centuries, across all cultures ... :shock:

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Naw that`s some dude cutting the junk off one of those giants i`ve been talking about. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.