M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Posting leader...

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire)

#3801 Post by Pitchy » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Garand too Garand, life is complete. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#3802 Post by Sixgun » Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks guys on the advice on the blades...I've been doing it for over 40 years always "going by eye" and while I've never had an issue, I just never did like the non perfect look. Looking around the "clean and organized" garage today, I found a metal plate that attaches to the Grizzly belt sander. It's got a bolt that holds the angle so,I,may be able to use that.

One set of blades for the Kubota are new and I just don't want to use em! Like my dad used to say, "don't use everything you have, one day you might need one!" After he died I got a new lawn mower, leaf blower, several drills and other electric/battery powered tools that were all NIB.....Even a complete set of Craftsman sockets and wrenches and another new set of Stanley wrenches. Must have had ten new flannel shirts that we bought him for Christmas. Yea, something about the old timers who grew up during the Depression.

Turtleman........those .33 Winchester bullets (#3315) are going for $75 a box of 100. I must have killed 30 deer and one elk with that bullet....they are built tough. Should be a date stamped in ink under the box. They would work great in any .338 cartridge but just are not long range bullets because of the flat tip.

Pitchy.....the Garand ...and you...look great........I need to get mine out......got the scope on the BAR last month and have yet to test it.

Big day tomorrow......------6
Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3803 Post by GunnyMack » Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 am

You haven't tried the BAR yet!? Come on man we need that beast sighted in! :D Seriously Six I'm very curious to see what kind of accuracy it's capable of.
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

#3804 Post by M. M. Wright » Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 am

Watched the videos this AM while there's a lull in the storms. They worked fine and you look plumb skinny in them. More storms coming today in maybe an hour. 6:13 now and severe warnings but no torpedoes yet. Watch area ends about 3 miles south. Lol. Like the weather service is that accurate.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3805 Post by Pitchy » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks Six and Ron and prayers up for you and yours with the bad weather.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#3806 Post by Sixgun » Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Lots of action around here today......hob knobed with the township big shots today at the church where we vote about 200 yards down the street.....I pulled up in the Rubicon and they saw me coming and the one said, "here comes a member of the Thornton Militia." I had my t shirt on and on it is a picture of George Washington in full military gear holding an M-4.

I told the boys, Just keep everything Republican, dont mess with our guns and most certainly don't allow any "affordable housing" development to happen and we will all live prosperous lives without the need to lock our doors. :D

Other than that, the same old BS......front yard is drying up a bit......worked with the belt sander and figured out a way to get a near perfect edge on the mower blades using the disc sander that rides on a gear of the main part of the belt sander.

Oh......got my Medicare card in the mail yesterday.....it's official, I'm no longer middle aged....im old.---6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3807 Post by Pitchy » Wed May 22, 2019 6:45 am

M. M. Wright wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 am
Watched the videos this AM while there's a lull in the storms. They worked fine and you look plumb skinny in them. More storms coming today in maybe an hour. 6:13 now and severe warnings but no torpedoes yet. Watch area ends about 3 miles south. Lol. Like the weather service is that accurate.
Ron funny you`d say that, i weighed 305 two months ago weighed this morn and down too 250, not sure it`s a good thing.
Your a wild man Six, its a good thing. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Griff
Posting leader...

#3808 Post by Griff » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Pitchy, PShort, 3legged... driving thru MN today, I gotta say, must be the "Land of 50,000 Lakes" today!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3809 Post by 3leggedturtle » Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Griff wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm
Pitchy, PShort, 3legged... driving thru MN today, I gotta say, must be the "Land of 50,000 Lakes" today!!!
What town you going to?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3810 Post by GunnyMack » Thu May 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Drove 160 miles round trip today, was invited to trout fish a private club in penciltucky, near Blakeslee. My 7th cast I caught a good brown about 3 lbs. Then I got a pair of 2 lbs brook trout. Later on I saw a fish take my fly- had to have been 6 or 7 lbs! It turned and broke me off in an instant!
20190523_113640-600x800.jpg
20190523_105925-600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3811 Post by Pitchy » Thu May 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Cool and ya sure make a neat net. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3812 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Gunny.......those are NICE ones! Do you eat em or wing em back for another catch?----6

Fishing is something I know very little about......probably because you need patience.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3813 Post by GunnyMack » Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Normally I release all fish I catch, unless someone asks for a couple for the fry pan!

Fishing teaches patience. Also saw a bald eagle and an osprey today.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3814 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Wow.....you saw an eagle without any hair and one of those Marine Corp helicopter/airplane thingys? (OK, I'm bored...gonna head to Acme with mom---6)

Griff
Posting leader...

#3815 Post by Griff » Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 pm

3leggedturtle wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm
Griff wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm
What town you going to?
Didn't see this til today... but I'm headed to South Carolina... I'll be back up to Owatonna week after next... forgot, I'll be home for a few days next week!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3816 Post by OldWin » Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Man! I know I've been MIA for a few days. Lots going on.
Tomorrow, a couple buddies from the Jeep club and I are going wheeling in one of my favorite spots.
At 2 this afternoon, my rear axle was still out and the hardtop was still on. Got in 10 minutes ago and she is ready to roll...........I hope. :D
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3817 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Cool Jay!.....you get to do all the neat stuff......today, I walked outside and painted my car ramps! So there!----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3818 Post by GunnyMack » Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 am

First match of the year, 200 targets , 125 today 75 tomorrow plus shoot off, 130 miles round trip each day... I really hate driving anymore. Might rent a small RV for the next match- just gonna park at the range and spend the weekend!

Don't break anything while you are wheelin Jay!

Did you spray or brush your ramps Six?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3819 Post by OldWin » Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 am

Sixgun wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 pm
Cool Jay!.....you get to do all the neat stuff......today, I walked outside and painted my car ramps! So there!----6
Cool!
Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Thanks Six and Gunny.
Finger crossed........

Griff
Posting leader...

#3820 Post by Griff » Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am

OldWin wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 am
Sixgun wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 pm
Cool!
Pics or it didn't happen. :D
Thanks Six and Gunny.
Finger crossed........
+1!
I'm trying to decide between two kits for my (new to me... or wife's old p/u)...
https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-lowerin ... 22-20.html, which might entail notching the frame rails... or
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel- ... ubmodel/ls, which is probably far less work, no welding, cutting, etc... but... she always complained about both it and my 4x4 being too high to climb in & out of... but always refused to allow me to do this mod. It'd just level the truck out and drop it a "little"... not like those air suspensions which drop it to the ground...

Both are reputable companies, I had rough country suspension on my '72 Blazer & '74 p/u they were rugged. Beltech is the leader in dropped spindles... decisions, decisions... Anyone here use either? I might be old, but that don't mean I like a cool p/u... :P 'Sides, I'm keeping my 1-ton dually 4 dr. 4x4... I got towing and offroad (as long as it's a BIG road), covered!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3821 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 am

Olwin, I really want a SHERP Atv. Been raining mostly constantly all week and tired of mud and slop too.....
Griff, you got room on your flatbed for a bicycle? I got rambling fever something fierce.
Six, you had that BAR scoped for a month now and havent shot it yet! Aint the anticipation killin' ya?
I sold 1 pistol and bought 2 more.. so its mostly been a good week other than the rain. Saw some great lightning displays. One even blinded me for a few seconds... 🐢
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Griff
Posting leader...

#3822 Post by Griff » Sat May 25, 2019 1:08 pm

3leggedturtle wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 am
Griff, you got room on your flatbed for a bicycle? I got rambling fever something fierce.
Turtle... I haul a van... But, if I haul your bike to where you want, doesn't that negate the exercise value in the trip? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3823 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Griff wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:08 pm
3leggedturtle wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:28 am
Turtle... I haul a van... But, if I haul your bike to where you want, doesn't that negate the exercise value in the trip? :P
No, cuz then i can stop and pick up every wheel weight i see on the way back. Plus there is a few desolate mountain roads in Montana i want to meander about...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3824 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 26, 2019 10:35 am

Oh! You want pictures of the painted ramps? Well, first let me say I'm thrifty.....when I'm painting something that the world don't see I'll use any paint color available that I don't need. In this case it was some kind of purple.

Tested her out yesterday along with homemade rear ramps and it makes changing the blades or powerwashing underneath a snap.

Naw....ain't got to the range to test out the BAR....it's either been windy or I did not feel like going.---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3825 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 26, 2019 10:54 am

Pure style. You could use it to replace the wall in China.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3826 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Well first match of the season SUCKED! I left Saturday morning a 0700- got home at 8pm last night. I shot like stuff. Ate, showered and went to bed to do it all over again today. Still pelosi like stuff- no I shot like SHYT!
I struggled with my gun mount all weekend. When it is right nothing gets away... a lot got away!
I finished tied for 5th and everything went nuclear meltdown in the shoot off for a 6th place finish.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3827 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm

GM, so is a bad day at the range still a good day?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3828 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Gunny.....your either out of practice or you don't give a shyt no more......with me, it's both.----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3829 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Oh I'm out of practice for sure!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3830 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Well Six, on to more positive things. Put the new crane retention screw in the Mod 24. Indeed that did greatly reduce the end play in the crane after 6,000 rounds This is basically the world's best handgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3831 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Ah ribs, then a pack of Nathan's not to waste the coals.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3832 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 26, 2019 9:00 pm

OS......I agree that the Model 24 is the finest smith ever made......next to the Triplelock, registered .357 mags. and early 29's. I owned one exactly like yours.....1980's with 6.5...sold it years later still NIB......i also owned an original pre-24 4" that I sold to John Taffin......still have a 1980's 4", an original 6.5" made in '55 and a stainless 624.....The 624 is the best shooter of the bunch.

Those dogs look good.....it's been a while since I was able to eat them due to the salt content. Upon closer examination of your pic it looks like the dogs have veins in them??.. :D ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3833 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Had a 624 4", sold it to a friend. Used to correspond with Taffin regarding the the .44 Spl. Have to say my 6.5 24 is the better shooter of the two. The dogs and ribs were great. I have had only a few Meniere's patients. The issue with each was a chiropractic problem near the base of the skull. Tried to go shooting today but ran into rain and fog.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3834 Post by fordwannabe » Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Well yesterday I rubbed my meat, brisket that is. Put my buddy’s rub on it, let it sit in the fridge most of yesterday and fired up the smoker at 0930 this morning. Used cherry wood and had apple juice in the drippings pan. Pulled it at 1700 wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler( no ice) to set for an hour. When I sliced it I dipped each slice in the drippings pan with the apple juice, drippings, and what spices fell off the brisket during cooking. As the Coca Cola 600 came on I had a baked tater, spinach and a some slices of brisket that I literally cut with a fork. Mmmm. Then while the race was on I resized and trimmed 32 long colt brass to accept a heeled bullet.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3835 Post by GunnyMack » Mon May 27, 2019 4:59 am

3leggedturtle wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm
GM, so is a bad day at the range still a good day?
Umm, No not really...

Looks like the weekend wasn't a total shyt show- text message from the club, I won 2nd in A class! I'll get some of my entry fee back anyhow!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire

#3836 Post by Sixgun » Tue May 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Second in A class? Now, that ain't too shabby! Is this trap or skeet.....how many rounds..100?

I had a full day...in addition to other things that would not interest anyone, I went to feed Stonewall earlier and this nasty looking snapper was looking for a place to lay eggs...the horse usually steers clear of turtles but when he saw me with the feed bucket, he came running over and accidentally knocked the turtle in his side with his hooves.....luckily for the turtle, he landed proper.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3837 Post by GunnyMack » Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes Jack its Olympic trap. I'm normally an A shooter but in the top 3 90% of the time.

When I worked at the slave labor camp- er I mean the lumberyard the snapping turtles would lay eggs in the mulch bin, nice and warm in there until I got the bucket loader and load it into trucks.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3838 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm

Dont worry Snappers of any size have no problem righting themselves. Any of you cut up lead with a sawzall? Works okay but is slow, especially since i saving the shavings and trying not to spill them. It was ballast for a drag car. 3.5"x4" and 20" long. My hands have sores and blisters where i havent had any, since i did drywalling. Its not quite linotype but is very hard. Has a nice ring to it when i bang it with a chisel and hammer.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3839 Post by Sixgun » Tue May 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Turtleman...no on the sawzall......but a lot of those big 22 lbs bars of Linotype on the band saw...cuts right through them.....it's dangerous the way it shoots lead dust all over the place......

Hey! I invented a new tool tonight...the world's first "Automatic Non Invasive Ditch Digger".......if your yard is swampy like mine is that's all that is needed is a 4" deep ditch to drain the water until it dries up. Two months ago I took the single wheeled wheelbarrow and put 300 pounds of lead in it and pushed like hell through the wet areas and it worked....ahhhh...somewhat Ok. I figured I needed a skinnier tire to dig down more.

Well, it's still swampy and the yard is draining better than if I did nothing but tonight with my new invention it should do better.....had to make some changes but I installed this antique iron wheel. Tomorrow I'll load it up with rocks or something and test her out again.----6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3840 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue May 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Six, these bars weigh 80lbs each. I can just barely scrape them with my thumb nail. Pretty ingenious on the drain digger! We been putty sod down to slowly build up the low wet spots.
Pitchy, our 2 state birds were out in force tonite.....

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3841 Post by OldWin » Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Good idea, Six!
Had a good wheeling trip Saturday. Had to "pull cable" a couple times, but it was a successful first test run after a LOT of changes and mods. Everything worked well. Wish I'd got more pics. Have some video, but can't post it here. Had a buddy almost roll, and it was a long, steep ravine. Luckily, he came up against a small maple and it held him. Some creative winch work bailed him out.
Couple pics from the deck of our friends camp where we were wheeling. Just incredible. Pics don't do justice.
Couple from the trail in a smooth spot.
Old Red is under the knife again. All new ball joints, rod ends and wheel bearings. Fun never ends!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3842 Post by GunnyMack » Wed May 29, 2019 5:23 am

So the other day, I'm keeping score at the club during the match and my cell rings- try as I might I couldn't get my phone out fast enough to silence it. The call goes to voice mail. After the squad was done & scores tallied I look at my phone to see who called...
darn telemarketers called me from my OWN cell number! Sure wish we could find these people and do a drone strike!

Jay looks like you had so fun!
Six that looks like a lot of work!! I still think you need a Trump cutout and a pump like I said before!

I see SE penciltucky had a couple twisters yesterday- hope no one was seriously injured. More nasty weather today.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3843 Post by Sixgun » Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am

Yea.....a few twisters 40 miles northwest of me........we got some thunder and a few quick downpours...didn't amount to hardly nothing.......maybe a 1/4" of rain.....I was in the garage making the new invention when it was going on..........gonna test her out today whenever I decide to get dressed.

Jay....beautiful pics! .......what a view from the deck! ........that would have been utopia back in my beer drinking days...sitting there, getting half looped....then jumping in the Jeep for the trails with a full cooler in the back....no food, just beer........stop for a while, do some shootin'......get another beer.........bang up the Jeep......head back to camp for a few more beers and maybe some food.......tell lies with your buds......go to bed and do it all over again the next day........reminds me of deer camp.

I see you know what your doing on the ball joint thingy. Yea.....after a vehicle gets so many years old and even if it's been well maintained, shyt still happens......brake line.......computer.....wheel cylinder........steering box........wiring shorts.......fuel lines........even the steering wheel.......mine on Ole Yeller was flopping around.......

Oh well......supposedly another biggie storm coming this afternoon........---6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3844 Post by Pitchy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:46 am

Yep skeeters are getting bad Todd, steel on the wheel barrow no more flat tires and Gunny`s been shootin away having fun. :)
Nice pics Jay glad ya got out and about but sorry about the mech issues.

We headed for the hills this morn in the van, gotta love the all wheel drive, we final made it to the end of the RR grade at Goose lake.
We were there once before over 30 years ago and there were trestle posts sticking out of the water but all gone now.
It was a muddy road in and finaly had to park and walk a ways to get to where the tracks used to lay 125 years ago.
Here`s a picture from where the tracks entered the lake and ended on the far side.

Pics of the road in, ya might of made it with your jeep Jay.

Couple more views of the lake.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3845 Post by OldWin » Wed May 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Thank you, guys! Yeah, pics don't do justice.

Beautiful pics, Lenn! I'm so glad you guys got out and about. Pretty country.

Six,
Yeah, I'm not convinced Old Red was in desperate need of all new ball joints, but my old dad likes to play around with it, so.........
What it does need is the front drive shaft rebuilt, so that is next on the list. I wheeled behind an old 4 banger all day Saturday. Kinda made me miss Old Red. :D

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3846 Post by Pitchy » Wed May 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Jay this is the place i told you about that we wanted to get too, we found a road in from the West side the walk from second trestle to this point is unpassable .
30 some years ago we went there and tried to walk across the lake on the ice but turned back because of thin ice.
At that time there were posts sticking out of the ice where the picture was today.
You would have to know how swampy and the amount of ponds and lakes around here how difficult it most of been to put the line in.
I read in the records that there were crews of 1,000 that built these lines.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3847 Post by OldWin » Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

We have old places like that here too. Left from the old logging days. I love to explore them. I always imagine the amount of work it must have taken to build those old roads and railroad beds.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3848 Post by GunnyMack » Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm

The camp/club we belong to in Canada was built in the early 40s as a chapel for the loggers. 65 miles of dirt road to get in to camp. In those days everything was horse drawn. I cant imagine felling trees by the thousands in skeeter infested middle of nowhere! Sadly the log decks/ living areas are lost to the dark spruce forest forever.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#3849 Post by Pitchy » Wed May 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Some day when i go through the door to no where i`ll see all of it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

#3850 Post by M. M. Wright » Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Beautiful pics Lenn. It'd be a good place for a canoe.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS