M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire)

#3651 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Old Savage wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:58 pm
Six, maybe you have, new or close to the N frame screw that holds the crane in the frame or a good place to get one.

Na.....sorry Fred....I have 100 Winchester screws and a few Ruger/Colt single action screws virtually nothing for a Smith other than grip screws that are hard to pry away from me. The screw that holds the crane in is different and is made longer. The newer ones ...say, the last 15-20 years are springy....

Either Brownells or the factory. I played hell finding one of the double screws for an old Colt Police Positive crane a few years back...found it at a show.

Doc.....your all the way to the right....right? You boys look loaded for bear....nice looking group of good-ole-boy rednecks.---6
Ready?....one, two, three, LAUGH!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3652 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks Six, figured you would know. Mine is late 80s manufacture.

I will check around.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3653 Post by GunnyMack » Mon May 06, 2019 4:51 am

2.27" of rain here in one day. Sure hope the 250 trout we stocked on Saturday found good hiding spots out of the current!

Yup GPC or S&W is your best bet to get that screw fast. You could spend years scouring shows before ya find one.
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3654 Post by fordwannabe » Mon May 06, 2019 8:40 am

Fred, if ya can’t find what you want at Brownells or GPC
Call empire gun parts in Danville Pa. Craig is a great guy to deal with but he may not have taken an N frame apart for parts. But you never know he has provided me with a LOT of Marlin screws over the years.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3655 Post by Old Savage » Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks there fordwb.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3656 Post by 3leggedturtle » Mon May 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Doc, speaking of 10/22's, i got a Charger. The thing is a hoot with a brace and 4X scope. Put close to 500 rounds thru it and only ammo that ftf was the WW hp's that are like a SWC. I really the fact all my 10/22 mags fit so I didnt hafta buy more. I spent 2 days on my knees taking out torx screws from a deck. Boy that up and down stuff tears me up. I aint been this sore since i spent a rainy 3 day weekend in the back seat of a malibu with a girlfriend. Being older isnt fun any more.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3657 Post by OldWin » Tue May 07, 2019 12:35 am

3Leg,
I gotta say, I've given some thought about a rig like that for bird hunting while riding roads with the Jeep.
I'm not much of a shotgun guy, and a shorty rig rules when squeezing in and out of a small vehicle.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#3658 Post by Sixgun » Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 am

We need some action around here. How about this?.....something ya don't see everyday.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3659 Post by GunnyMack » Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 am

Uhoh- those geese might be nesting in your yard. They will get high up to provide overwatch when sitting on eggs. Better watch your back! Or just blast it and you can have smoked goose from your BGE! :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3660 Post by GunnyMack » Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Hey Sixgun- I just had an up close eyeball of a Jeep Gladiator! Just the color I'd want too- Firecracker Red! But $59k is a bit much for my taste!! Has all the goodies as a Rubicon plus the bed. Be perfect for a hunting rig.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3661 Post by Sixgun » Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Gunny....there are a dozen or so geese who live in the back pasture and the little pond we have. They go one area to another and back again. We see the little ones...they were born a week or so ago but not as many as we used to.....there will maybe five......then four....then 3....then sometimes none...foxes, snapping turtles, and hawks like to eat em.

Turtleman...that Gladiator is waaaaaaayyyyyy over priced. Yea...I hear the rubicon's are pushing 60 g's......crazy....for what? I don't see myself buying anything new anymore.....----6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3662 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue May 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Six, Gladiator? My Charger was only $209 with a bipod. Tho i did pay $25 too much for A 9mm Smygma... far as your rat with wings on the roof go, we dont have them around here anymore. When we do see them they dont hang around. I much prefer my flycatchers and whiskey jacks. Worms are out of the ground now, so i can feed the turtles and fish treats. have you gone thru any of the molds yet? 🐢
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3663 Post by Sixgun » Wed May 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Well.....today, mom and me cruised up to the Media courthouse ....she has a handicap placard........ :D ....or else you park a quarter mile away............right up to the front steps.....50 yard walk to the sheriffs dept......through the metal detectors.....(left everything in Mom's Jeep)......made our case to the clerk with properly filled out forms.........$20 APIECE!!!!!!!!!!... .........got our mug shots........and we are both good-to-go for packing heat for another FIVE years. That's it! I love Pennsylvania.

Theeeeennnnn...we went home.....hugged our dogs.....and I went out and got my Jeep.....hooked up the 10' trailer and went down and got two yards of black mulch......while there, the owner, who is a buddy of mine got off the big machine to bs with me......he wanted my Jeep.....it was cleeeeeaaaannnnnnn.....I told him it's 14 years old but only has 50K on it and only has been in the rain 17 times. He says, "how much.....15g's?" I laughed then it went to 20g's.....which is right....I told him it would cost more than double that to replace it...which he knows....

The offer stands he said.....now I'm thinking Gladiator......but I'll have to get Fordwannabe ove here for some more Winchester purchasing......naaaaaa----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3664 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am

Well Six, went to the local gunsmith Raoul. Turns out he had new what I think is the right screw, $3.29. Can't always know when to catch him, closed the first time by last week.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3665 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am

OS, glad you found one. The shop here only had a K-frame screw.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3666 Post by OldWin » Thu May 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Well, that time of year again. Cranked up Old Red and went fiddleheading with the old man. Just got a couple if 5 gallon pails full. Got so many last year, we still have some left.
Finally got the Blue Mule out. Ran over to the local Armory to flex it out and check my brake line length. It's an engineering unit and a great bunch. There was a tree growing out of the edge of the loading ramp I had to cut. They were cool with it. Having the first ever gun show there this Saturday. Less than a mile from home! That's a first, too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3667 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 09, 2019 1:17 pm

That's great Fred.........another issue accomplished! On the order of screws I've purchased many dozens of Winchester screws that have been recently (five-10 years) being reproduced. I like nice fresh screws on my guns and the old guns almost always have buggered up screws. I've also learned how to take a buggered up screw and make it look new...or almost new.

As I've got many more antique longguns than single action guns I seldom have a need for handgun screws but when I do, I'll buy a half dozen of that style.

Oh well, another shytty day here...overcast...spitting drizzle.....rain tomorrow and a big rain on Mom's Day this Sunday.......this rain plays havoc on my mental happiness. First time in 44 years I can't cut about a half acre out front this late......looks like shyt......I pride myself on my lawn but it looks like no dry weather is in sight......I've got several hundred feet of 6" deep ditches all over that I dug with a hoe to help it drain but the water table is right up to the sod..........

Life continues-----6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3668 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Dang Jay......your having fun....still looks a bit cold there........Old Red looks great.........

Your lucky....I miss my Dad terribly----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3669 Post by OldWin » Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks buddy!
Yeah, they are still skiing at Sugarloaf. Mountains still getting some snow but it's gone here. Cold in the mornings but we have had a couple 60 degree days.
Yeah, I am very lucky. What's more, I know it, and spend all the time I can with him.
Got a couple projects for Old Red. Have to rebuild the front driveshaft and put in a new rear pinion seal. Should be it for this year.
Blue has to have the rear shock mounts cut off and moved up, new shocks, driveshaft shortened a hair, and skid added from the center up under the motor.
Probably won't be till I'm back from Alaska.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3670 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 pm

What part of Alaska? Gonna be able to see Grizz or Hfcable? Todd/3leg

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3671 Post by OldWin » Thu May 09, 2019 3:32 pm

3leg,
Just to Anchorage. Won't be there long this trip. Traveling there with our son, DIL, and grandson. They are going back to Kodiak. I will be making trips there over the next several years, however.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3672 Post by GunnyMack » Thu May 09, 2019 4:49 pm

You left skid marks in blue oh wait you are putting skid plates on blue- gotcha!

I realized last Saturday I need a lift kit for my ranger, showed up yesterday so I might install it this weekend. Figure 3" of lift should be just enough to prevent dragging my skid plates again.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3673 Post by OldWin » Thu May 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Good call Gunny. They do seem to ground out a lot.
My dad's buddy hung his up one hunting season at camp. Got a downed tree wedged in the rear wheel well.
Needed a chain saw and my jeep to winch it out.
What a shyt show. :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3674 Post by GunnyMack » Thu May 09, 2019 5:15 pm

I was hauling 2 guys, chainsaws, gas & such so we could open trail to stock trout at the club. Then the guy that normally takes the fish in his gator kept over heating so I was running the fish, when loaded I hit a few times.
Now the ranger is gonna look funny being lifted with stock size tires- I just put mudlite tires on it.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3675 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 09, 2019 6:11 pm

BLUE skid marks??? What you eating boy???

Well.....I don't have to worry about getting hung up in the woods......been there....done dat......I now have a Rubicon that can do those things but never gets off of nice roads....I don't even like dirt roads anymore...I hate getting the Jeep dirty and leaving brown skid marks. I'll even take that a step further......I don't even like my Jeep out of the garage.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3676 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 pm

You are ready for California!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3677 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Fred......may the Good Lord bless you for your patience.......if I as much get off of a standard two lane black macadam road, my BP raises 30 points. A couple of times a year I have to drive on I-95 and I'm trembling the whole time.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3678 Post by OldWin » Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Six.
My Rubicon is a very early one, in one of the rarest colors. When I ordered it, I promised myself (and Kristy made me promise. :D ) I would use it for what it was made for. Two hours after I drove it home, Kristy made me order a winch (she's a keeper).
It has 57k on it now after 16 years. It's been kept out of the snow and salt, but she has "seen the elephant". :D
I take extremely good care of it, but wheeling is the whole fun of Jeep ownership for me. Been doing it since I was 17.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3679 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Well Six, clearly, :-) you are a sensitive guy. Come out here, we will take it to Laguna Beach. Range Rover appears to be the official vehicle there and none have been off road.

This is about as far off road as I have gone and one is at the range.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3680 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Here, 1/4 mile off road :-) at the range.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3681 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Well Fred....technically, your an off-roader........not as deep into it as Jay is but........your off the road!.....

Jay....that boy of mine and you would make a great pair off roading........he had me white knuckled and limp kneeing several times....one time, in Colorado I had to guide him around a tight corner that was just enough for the tires...no more.....on the left side was the mountain...on the right was a mile down on about a 70 degree angle. After he got around it I thought he knew a different way back but nope.....back around that same corner.....must have been 10 cars at the bottom from 55 Chevys on up. I also saw that in other ravines....when people make the tumble the authorities just take out the bodies. The places he took me were chained off but you know how Jeepers get around those small obstacles

He's been to Moab a mess of times...I was there once and there's some kick azz machines that play out there. They are even allowed to drive these true off road non registered "vehicles" through the town...I got some pics and maybe I'll dig em out tomorrow..-----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3682 Post by OldWin » Fri May 10, 2019 1:48 am

Would LOVE to hit Moab. Guy in our club goes almost every year. No doubt there is tough wheeling.
But.......don't let anyone fool you, east coast wheeling is some of the nastiest. A lot of sandstone in Moab with good traction.
Our rocks are sharp and slick, even when dry. Not to mention the mud on and between them. Then, while you are trying to navigate them, there are trees all over the place.
The Ultimate Adventure crew from 4 Wheel and Offroad magazine were in Maine last summer and they were shocked how rough it was. They had a lot if breakage and winching. :D
There are YouTube vids.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3683 Post by GunnyMack » Fri May 10, 2019 5:03 am

Well I guess Six wouldn't like to go to our camp in Quebec-65 miles of dirt road to get to the cabin!

I know a spot in Colorado where I had the Kturn my truck around on the side of a 13,000 ft cliff, 4low with right foot on clutch and left foot holding door open so I could see/bail out! Buddy that was leading lost his brakes on the way up! That was a fun 'fishing trip' Almost left skid marks on the seat!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3684 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 10, 2019 11:04 am

Yea...the crazy shyt we do when younger......invincible.......wreck a vehicle? Who cares? Sign a note and get another.......

Something happens to a man when he reaches retirement age......if he's so lucky.

Yep.....lucky me...I'm so lucky I get to go to my bank today, get a cashiers check for the county taxes, then go to another bank with the papers and get em stamped, "2019 Taxes PAID". .........

More rain today......with the "Mother OF All Rains" on Mothers Day.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3685 Post by GunnyMack » Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Well so much for the lift kit, Amazon has it listed to fit my machine but it's not even close to being correct!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3686 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Gunny.....no problem on the lift kit......just get 4 floor jacks with wheels.......crank up each corner on the bumpers....take off the handles.....spot weld the disks to each bumper.

See? Jay thinks he has me beat at redneckin'-----6

Once again...go to Costco to pick up meds......come out with full cart.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3687 Post by GunnyMack » Fri May 10, 2019 4:03 pm

For about 3500 bucks I could buy gear driven lift assemblies, just push a button and the gear boxes go up or down!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3688 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Gunny....how about if you hook up the hydraulics and make it bounce up and down like the Spanish guys in L.A. do?

I could see ya pulling into the gunclub with your buddies watching and here you come....booma boom boom with the stereo blasting salsa music.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3689 Post by Old Savage » Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Now you are talking. Those guys come up for the car shows up here, Cholo.

Maybe you could make a Rubicon hop like a jumping bean.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#3690 Post by AJMD429 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Six, you're right I'm the stud on stage-left....

Here's my Charger....it may look funny but it was the most practical weapon I found for the lightweight-but-bulky infrared scope. Bad Medicine on nocturnal predators.... :twisted:
Screenshot_2019-05-10-21-20-33-1.png
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3691 Post by 3leggedturtle » Fri May 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks Doc, your Charger is great. I just got a Bearcat, made in 64, it's so tight and precise. Actually has a little tiny bit of recoil with Mini-mags.
You guys doing the trails in your Jeeps, thats something I've always wanted to, sounds like a car show where the vehicles show what their wners can do.

Oldwin, HFcable is in Anchorage. Ask him to send the Savage lever in 25 Remington back for me! :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3692 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Doc.....WTF is dat ting? Never saw anything like dat!

Ahhh...Fred.....was at Costco then down at Brandywine hardware.....I think we is gonna skip the Big Green Egg.....these things do the same thing with a whole lot less aggravation. They are pricey but no constantly fooling with the vents etc like the BGE. You pour,in the wood pellets.... set the thermostat and go about your business....

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3693 Post by GunnyMack » Sat May 11, 2019 4:46 am

A buddy of mine has one of those pellet stoves- he turns out one heck of a good brisket!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3694 Post by OldWin » Sat May 11, 2019 5:34 am

3leg,
Yeah, we have a blast running the trails with the Jeep club. Very informal, and a great bunch.
By the sounds of it, I wouldn't hold my breath on HF Cable's Savage. :D

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3695 Post by Old Savage » Sat May 11, 2019 5:46 am

Six, what do you want to cook? Neighbor had one of those.

There are certainly a number of ways to go in the BBQ world.

Griff
Posting leader...

#3696 Post by Griff » Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am

I like my new Hamilton... :D
GOPR0042[1].JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3697 Post by Sixgun » Sat May 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Fred.....with this thing anything can be cooked.......no hassle like like the rudimentary functions of the BGE and it isn't gonna smash if it falls over........the wood pellets are sold all over the place including my favorite hangout, Brandywine Hardware which is located a stones throw away from where Washington crossed the Brandywine river.

The weather has been so shytty around here my attitude has dropped with it.....phucking rain....rain....rain.....the "Mother of all Rains" tomorrow on Mother's Day. Low pressure systems drive my Meniers and tinnitus to a very uncomfortable condition.----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3698 Post by Old Savage » Sat May 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Tried to be nice because recently a gun writer tried to give everybody advice on diet and kidney damage and went a little haywire when challenged. But that unit will not do the same thing as an Egg or a Weber. Good stuff but different. Which is why I asked what you wanted to cook. They will all do good work but different on different tasks ... surprise, surprise like everything else. You are at a choice point now. Good time to consider but great stuff can be made by any. ... I repeat WHAT DO YOU WANT TO COOK?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3699 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 am

Wow Fred.......YOU are the master of grilling.....(new name..."The Grillmaster"). Anyway, Grillmaster, we are not high falluton folk here in Pa......90% of the time it is the standard hamburger/sausage patties along with Chicken/baked potatoes, corn on cob...a couple of times a year we will do lobster....or other high falluton foods.....

It's raining so hard outside I can't hear myself think---6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3700 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am

Oldwin, you driving or flying up? If driving what route you taking? I always regretted not spending at least a couple of weeks in Anchorage. It always rained when i got there. So just kept moving after a day or 2 of rest.
Ive thinking to much lately. Always wanted a .22 Carbine aka 5.7 Johnson Spitfire. Read that guys used to use 218 Bee Dies to form them, this is where i started thinking. I prefer .25 cal. Took a 25/20 die and formed a .25 carbine. It was easy and it looks almost like a rimless 25/20, just about .030 short in the neck after reforming. Anyone got an old Universal M1 carbine to sell cheap?! Heading out to shoot in a little bit.