M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire)

#3601 Post by Griff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:28 pm

223 Wylde. Barrel is 20" H-Bar, and I'm going to mount folding iron, but that scope looked perfect for sighting in. So, can I have it?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3602 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Well lookie there- Griff wins page 73!!! Not only can you have Six's Vortex scope but you WON it fair & square!!
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa....Where Trump Is Supported And No One Takes The "High Moral Road".

#3603 Post by Sixgun » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:44 pm

OldWin wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:03 pm
Hey Jack,
A 95 in 30-40? That's the best chambering IMO. SRC by any chance?
No....full length 28"....shoots like well, like all my guns do...better than me.---6
Ready?....one, two, three, LAUGH!

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa....Where Trump Is Supported And No One Takes The "High Moral Road".

#3604 Post by Sixgun » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm

Yea Gunny.....Griff won!!!! If he wants the Vortex, I'll give it to him. I must have 20 or more extra scopes laying around...some NIB...nothing expensive...maybe a few leupolds in there.......one shelf is my dedicated "scope shelf"

Watching the best POTUS ever at the moment.

Griff
Posting leader...

#3605 Post by Griff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm
Yea Gunny.....Griff won!!!! If he wants the Vortex, I'll give it to him. I must have 20 or more extra scopes laying around...some NIB...nothing expensive...maybe a few leupolds in there.......one shelf is my dedicated "scope shelf"

Watching the best POTUS ever at the moment.

I'm enroute to my ship's reunion in Las Vegas startin' tomorrow. Wished I'd been able to hear my President rally the voters! Jack, you have my address. Somewhere I have yours. Since you'd send me that scope and I'd send you a bunch of Washingtons... let's call it even. Just tell me what model that is. SWFA is just around the corner, and I bet they have one in stock!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3606 Post by Sixgun » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Wow Griff...your driving all the way to Vegas? You ever drive that far before? One time I drove to Harrisburg and another time I drove to the Delaware state line...(about five miles down the road......any farther than that I get lost.

The scope is a Vortex Viper 6-16.....great scope for the money. The other guys look down on my scope..for real.....half the guys have Nightforces and the other half have expensive Leupolds that are in the same price range as Nightforces. Screw kthat...beforehand I dump 1500 on a scope I'll spend 2500 for a long block and put ole yeller back on the road.--6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3607 Post by Old Savage » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 am

Enough about scopes, BBQ is where it is at. When I was looking at kamados these were what I came down to: the 15" Big Green Egg and the 18" Grill Dome. I think the Grill Dome is better but the size of the BGE appeals.

The 2.5 Bennies I would consider irrelevant.

I look forward to seeing what Six does.

Actually though, I found I could do anything I wanted with the $36 vortex for our 18" Weber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3608 Post by Old Savage » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 am

The Weber/Vortex at work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

#3609 Post by Griff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:31 am

Sixgun wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:33 pm
Wow Griff...your driving all the way to Vegas? You ever drive that far before? One time I drove to Harrisburg and another time I drove to the Delaware state line...(about five miles down the road......any farther than that I get lost.
The scope is a Vortex Viper 6-16.....great scope for the money. The other guys look down on my scope..for real.....half the guys have Nightforces and the other half have expensive Leupolds that are in the same price range as Nightforces. Screw kthat...beforehand I dump 1500 on a scope I'll spend 2500 for a long block and put ole yeller back on the road.--6
Yep, all by myself...
Apparently, they don't make that scope anymore. I have a 6x24 Viper on another AR.... I might just use it to test this rifle, then stick with iron sights as they're required for competition.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3610 Post by GunnyMack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:43 pm

So the low tonight is 35, go downstairs to start the pellet stove and find a pipe pin-holed...off to lowes for a 10' piece of PEX, 2 sharkbite couplings and away we go!
Still haven't pulled a trigger!

Safe travels Griff!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3611 Post by Sixgun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Just checking in...nuttin' happening here........a long time buddy stopped over for a few hours to bs....he's telling me he can't take working anymore....and he owns his own auto body business........he saw me in my long johns, flannel shirt and slippers and I told him I have not got dressed in three days. No need to....hanging around the house playing..why get dressed?----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3612 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:09 pm

I HATE PLASTIC DECKING!!
Take a measurement ( saw and deck boards are in the sun) , cut board,install board and by the time you are done screwing it down from one end it has shrunk in the shade of the house!!! Cant imagine installing this stuff when its 90° !

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3613 Post by Sixgun » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Enough about guns and decking....on to Old Savage and the BGE! Fred..what's the hell is that Vortex thingy? I thought Vortex made scopes...ya mean they make barbecue things too?

This Saturday there is a fun fest down at Brandywine hardware on everything barbecue....
Even the manager told my wife the other day to "make sure Jack comes ..he's gonna like it" . They will be firing up Big Green Eggs with different kinds of wood and the whole fun fest is generally a "how to" with BGE.

These people down at the Brandywine Hardware have been so good to us over the years, I'd be ashamed to buy something else from someone else. This store is a mega hardware store with pet center, flowers, and building supplies. Unlike Home Depot, you don't have to ask for help....they come to you.

So Fred....tell me...what's this Vortex thingy?---6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3614 Post by Sixgun » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Fred....mom is examining your pics.....YOU are the expert here.---6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3615 Post by 3leggedturtle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 pm

I forgot about you scoping the BAR, u gonna blend the base color in a little or have it sticking out like that. I just bbq'd ribs and chops on gas grille lots of sauce. Now the dogs are begging, its nice to be wanted. Cold and and rainy here so i been lubing wadcutters. 🐢
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3616 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:59 am

His' $36 vortex thingy' looks like a chimney starter to me, but I'm not sure as the pic is on fire...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3617 Post by Old Savage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am

The vortex is conical, big end/small end. I made a ring to force the air through it. You can grill over it or on the ring around it. Small end up it will get this thing to 600° covered. Or big end up grill over it ... and around the edge at the same time. Steak and wings or dogs at the same time. I get the butcher to cut me an 1 1/2"-2" steak and put it over the big end up and cover it for about 20" flipping once - fantastic. Moved it off to the side and did half a big chicken indirect 400℉ 75 min. - great. Very useful in a variety of ways. Saves on charcoal.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3618 Post by Old Savage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am

Six, you tube comparison video of Egg and Grill Dome. But size matters as your wife knows 13", 15", 18" ... and the support from the local dealer is enticing. You have to weigh it all out. Look at some Vida on YouTube of people using kamados, see if it is for you. Depends what you want to cook and how much time/convenience is important to you.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3619 Post by Sixgun » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks Fred.....all this barbecue stuff is starting to attract my attention ...after all, ya can't eat guns. :D ---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3620 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 am

Sixgun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 am
Thanks Fred.....all this barbecue stuff is starting to attract my attention ...after all, ya can't eat guns. :D ---6
But you CAN use your guns to put meat on your barbecue!!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3621 Post by Old Savage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Six, as you look into the kamado route I think you will see it is kind of a hobby in itself, a past time. But you have the time in your kingdom there and you can do some neat stuff like briskets, ribs etc and smoking. If I had the room I would have added an 18" Grill Dome to my collection. In a condo you have to make space work. I have used one Weber or another for 40+ years.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3622 Post by Sixgun » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:28 pm

Fred.......gonna get something soon....still leaning towards the BGE......mostly because that's what mom wants and what mom wants, she gets. You have enlightened us on the variables...thank you for your efforts in detailing......she thinks your good enough for your own cooking show...but she dislikes the pictures of women you post....especially the one working the beer tap. :D ----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3623 Post by Old Savage » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 am

Well Sixer, my cookbook would be called Heat and Meat because that is about all I cook. My apologies to the Mrs. on my lovely ladies posts. Most are friends of mine, the beer girl wasn't but then I did not know she was an audience.

Here is one of my wife and daughter with the little dog, Carmello. That should be safe. And the BGE is a great choice. The 15"? What will you go with?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3624 Post by Sixgun » Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Yes Fred......very safe! :D You have a happy family and even the dog is smiling.......is your dog a blonde Yorkie? ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3625 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 02, 2019 9:39 am

He is a Morkie. And I had no idea your wife would even visit this M1 rabbit hole. :-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3626 Post by Sixgun » Thu May 02, 2019 10:20 am

Nnaaaaa...she don't......I show here pictures of what other people do to "expand" her mind and take the focus off of me.

Well, anything going on? I might make plans on heading to the gunclub but......another storm is on the way.-----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3627 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Well then Six, here is a picture of my desk. You can see I am a master of organization.

And a big fish. :-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3628 Post by Old Savage » Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Knew you would want to see the other side of the room.

Griff
Posting leader...

#3629 Post by Griff » Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 am

Yeah, that looks organized... It needn't be clean to be organized, I don't even have mine in stacks... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3630 Post by 3leggedturtle » Fri May 03, 2019 10:21 am

Clean Desk is a sign of a sick mind.... or something like that.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3631 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am

I call that "acceptability organized". Pretty much how things are around here......it's not a mess ....slight clutter......could be better...but......the energy it takes to make it better is more than the benefits of everything being perfect. When everything is perfect, you spend half your time and energy keeping it perfect.

The "Rifle" and "Handloader" magazines on your desk give your office a "homey look". The 1940 Ford.....or is it a Plymouth?....takes you back to a time that I liked.....when men were men and women were glad of it. The loose golf clubs show a leisurely attitude and a reminder from the great Johnny Carson, who often made quotes about what it takes to make a "man's putter stand up".

All in all....a job well done. ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3632 Post by Old Savage » Fri May 03, 2019 11:08 am

Well thanks there Six. Behind the chair and under the desk and buried in the organization are some packages from you. It is a 37 Chevy, a lot looked the same back then.

BTW just informational, this is how I do some of the vortex cooking.

I am looking forward to your BGE adventures, call up, have them deliver it today. Throw a brisket on there. The wife made some great pulled pork last night.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3633 Post by Old Savage » Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 am

OK Six, here are some close ups for those interested in advanced organization. Everything had a story, 35 years in the making here.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3634 Post by Sixgun » Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 pm

35 years in the making? The coffee looks older than that. :D I hear ya Fred.......some things just need to stay right where they are at.

Might head down to big shin dig tomorrow.....all the the grills will be in operation.--6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3635 Post by Old Savage » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Perfect, had mine going tonight. Just trying to tease you into the BGE. :-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3636 Post by GunnyMack » Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 am

Hmm, I'm thinking if Six buys a BGE he then needs to throw a Levergun bbq for those of us close enough to attend! :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3637 Post by Sixgun » Sat May 04, 2019 10:56 am

Well Fred....you did a good job teasing....your goodies look good. I'll be leaving for the shin dig in about a half hour with a roll of green......mmmmmm.....later today with the results......

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3638 Post by Sixgun » Sat May 04, 2019 11:00 am

GunnyMack wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 am
Hmm, I'm thinking if Six buys a BGE he then needs to throw a Levergun bbq for those of us close enough to attend! :D

Gunny.....sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt! I'd do that anyway for any reason.......those in my company never have a need to reach in their pocket......

The BGE is there (Brandywine Hardware) and has been for a couple of years. I want to put the pavilion up first and then just go down there and buy the dang thing....--6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3639 Post by Old Savage » Sat May 04, 2019 11:56 am

Six :-) it's waterproof, won't melt, momma wants it. Let's not let pavilion construction get in the way of BBQ adventures. :-)

Griff
Posting leader...

#3640 Post by Griff » Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 am
For all of us!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3641 Post by Old Savage » Sat May 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Maybe better buy a really, really big Big Green Egg :-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3642 Post by Sixgun » Sat May 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Poop! Never left the house.....
We have a huge storm coming and the low pressure put my Meniers at pretty much full steam. ----6

Besides, don't need a BGE to have you boys over. When ya get here I make a few phone calls and have everything delivered.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3643 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 am

Big storm indeed!, over an inch of rain overnight! Gonna rain all day too!

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3644 Post by fordwannabe » Sun May 05, 2019 5:42 am

Still raining here and I am walking out the door to go do another investigation today in York, Pa.
Haven’t bought anything for me lately except that 93 32 HPS but Ingot my son a Mossberg 835 slug gun for his bday on June and I bought my 10 year old nephew his first rifle a Marlin 780 that is VERY clean it was made in 1982 and looks really good. His Mom and Dad said it was time and I got to get it for him.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3645 Post by fordwannabe » Sun May 05, 2019 9:52 am

Rained the whole way to York(about an hour and a half) at a couple points, especially when accelerating from a stop the old mustang got squirrelly. Not a pot of traffic though so ok.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3646 Post by Sixgun » Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 am

Yea.....rainy days and Mondays....well, Mondays don't bother me anymore. The geese are swimming in the front yard....

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3647 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 05, 2019 11:56 am

I went and bought myself a new gun this morning. 3&1/2" chamber. Just about 8 lbs. And no hoses to deal with!
Yup a cordless framing nail gun! Has a lever, a magazine and its select fire!
20190505_125133-600x800.jpg

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: CMP--Garand

#3648 Post by AJMD429 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:39 pm

I don't want to cause thread drift by talking about Garands, but.... :D
Pitchy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm
I`ve had this ammo belt for many years, I think its for a Garand 30-06 but i don`t have ammo and clips to try yet.
This picture reminded me that a few years back I was unpacking some of my 'kid' stuff, and I found my old Garand clip-belt; the really cool part was that it still had the ten Ruger 10/22 magazines I kept in it when I'd go out on a 'mission' (harvesting groundhog meat, or eliminating feral cats and dogs that plagued songbirds and our livestock respectively.
Screenshot_2019-05-05-14-49-05-1.png
It was one of those "...man, I forgot about this cool thing I had, and how much fun it was...." moments... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3649 Post by GunnyMack » Sun May 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Hey Doc great find on those 1022 mags!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3650 Post by Old Savage » Sun May 05, 2019 7:58 pm

Six, maybe you have, new or close to the N frame screw that holds the crane in the frame or a good place to get one.