M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M-1 Garand Campfire

#1851 Post by OldWin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Man, this year just ain't starting off well.
Tuesday, I went down cellar to grab a beer from the gun room before supper. As I walked to the door, I happened to glance toward the spare bedroom we have down there and noticed the carpet looked funny. Went and checked, thank God, and it was wet. Took a while to find, but the feed line for the refrigerator had a pin hole and was leaking. Luckily, it didn't get into the gun room. And luckily it wasn't next week when we are gone to my sons. Glad I noticed.
Tonight, coming into work, I smacked a deer with my truck in front of our middle sons house. First deer I've ever hit. Wasn't even my night to drive. My buddy swapped a day with me. Still made it to work. Front plastic all busted up.
I ain't in the best of moods. :evil:
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#1852 Post by Sixgun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:25 am

Oh man...that sucks.......first deer you smacked and it was not even your day to work. Water leakage?...double suck.....hey dude, shyt happens but it's hard to feel the pain unless it happens to you. You ain't alone bud...I can start listing my headaches for 2018 but the battery will go dead in the iPad before I can type it all out and right now, I'm running 89% battery. So far 2019 has been good but there's still 361 days left.

If it makes you feel better, well, better you than me. :D see? You laughed didn't you?

Mom and me are sitting here with the lights out watching a pair of foxes coming up to the house to eat the chicken we threw out. The one 🦊 fox is the biggest I have ever seen. This one is bigger than the monster I shot with a 33 Winchester back in '84 and that one went 16+ pounds. This fox below must be 20+ pounds...look at the body.-----your pal...The Count

Shytty pic...too much glare. Looks like a vixen....these two are always together.

Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1853 Post by OldWin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:04 am

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like whiny bi$ch. What bothers me most is I've driven back and forth to work over 50 miles one way for almost 31 years without ever hitting one. My streak is over.
Stupid, I know, but that's what bothers me. Still wasnt late for work. I unplugged the dangling driving light, threw the light in the bed, wrapped the wire around the hole in the bumper cover, dragged the deer outta the road, and rolled it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1854 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:09 am

Always at the worst time Jay. I've had 4 deer hit me and I've hit 1. The one i hit I never saw, thankfully it did no damage. Just BANG and saw it as it flew, hit the ground and run.

One hit front left tire spun backwards and caved in the extra cab door. Had to claw hammer that one. On my way to work.

Coming home from a super bowl get together a deer hit my truck just behind right rear wheel well. It left nose print/ snot all the way to the bumper, it's nose slipped into the bumper and sheared off the meat fron the tip of its nose!

Last one I saw come out on the road, slammed on the breaks just soon enough to almost stop- WHAM push bar hit her center chest, DRT ! No damage from the impact but the brush guards waffled my headlights breaking the housings.
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

Griff
Posting leader...

#1855 Post by Griff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:45 am

Dang Jay, I know the feeling about the water... and I have narrowly missed several deer... and have had one hit me... never thought that could happen, until one ran into my hubcap.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1856 Post by Pitchy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 am

Sixgun wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 pm
A pencil sharpener is a must around here. Have one on the work bench in the garage, another in the gun room and three upstairs. My dad was quite a wood craftsman and he had them all over the place for his woodworking. Here is one from him...a Boston. He used to pick em up at flea markets for a couple of dollars.

One thing for sure, when buying pencils it pays to buy quality as cheap ones break easily and are hard to sharpen....sometimes you end up grinding the whole thing down before you get a decent point.----The Count

Yep i got one of those Bostons coming, do a search on a US automatic pencil sharpener i bought one very cool.
Here`s the little shaver we made.
Jay that`s a bummer buddy, hang in there it will get better.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1857 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 am

Well that's a sharpener of a different color- bet that style could be modified for square pencils too?

A good pencil sharpener is worth its weight in lead! Ya cant beat those old Boston sharpeners. I keep one on my work truck, in the basement, in the shop. Xacto makes a good eletric sharpener, couple of those too.
I dont go anywhere without a pencil . I have had a pencil on my ear for such a long time that if dont have one I still feel it , kinda like ghost pains i guess...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1858 Post by OldWin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Glad my wife is my insurance agent.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1859 Post by Pitchy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks Gunny, the wood for the base is Cherry pretty stuff.
The Boston sharpener i have coming is the self feed model which i thought would be cool.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1860 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 am

Cherry gets better with age, let it get some sunlight and the color really starts to deepen.

So what you are saying is you will get repair appraisal faster than normal Jay?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1861 Post by OldWin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 am

Wow Lenn! That's pretty neat.

That is a pretty piece of wood. Not sure if I have one of those Boston sharpeners around here.....seem as though I do somewhere.

Well, gotta go get an estimate on the truck and pick up some plumbing parts to fix the leak.
No nap today. :cry:

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1862 Post by Pitchy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks Jay, i just bought another old one a 1919 Dandy. :lol:
Hope your fixen goes well bud.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#1863 Post by Sixgun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:12 am

I hear ya Pitchy......your pencil in the pic is a good one..nothing like the 500 yellow junky ones I have. I thought it was a good deal until I sharpened one...crunch, crunch,,,,split...crunch...break....

Gunny.....did you know my dad? I swear I never saw him without a pencil on his ear. Funny thing, when I was about 6 and my brother was 12, I remember my dad hollering and chasing my brother around accusing him of taking his pencil. After the fiasco was over my dad reached up and found the pencil on his ear.

Jay.....wish the best for ya......it happens to everyone...life is going great with super expectations....always happy to get up and start your day with 100% anticipation of fun things on the horizon then boom! Serious car wreck with multiple breaks while being maxed out on debt....kids have issues, a beloved dog dies, wife saying she's divorcing you because your Winchesters and Colts are more important, insurance bill comes in after you bought that high dollar 1886, registered letters from the IRS, driveshaft comes flying off....(that happened to me TWICE on ole yeller...drove home on the front driveshaft with the oil gone from the transfer case......., rumors about the plant shutting down when your young and maxed out on debt with management verifying the rumors, your barn burns down to the ground with everything in it, serious medical issues to which 7 doctors and 3 ENT's and 3 ER visits have no answer, .......how far do you want me to go? Busted plastic and a leaky pipe are NOTHING.....stay cool brother----Jack..........The Count.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1864 Post by OldWin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks buddy.
Estimate on the Dodge was 2300. Just about what I figured. Won't cost me anything out of pocket, just hate that me streak is over.
Couldn't get the pipe fixed to where I trust it with anything in this one horse town. I will have to head south tomorrow in search of a better fix. May end up running all new line. Now I'm into my Saturday. :evil:
Headed down to my son's to visit the grandson next week. Of course, a pile of snow is predicted for the day we leave, and come home.
I hear you, Six. Fact is, my bad days are still pretty good. :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1865 Post by Sixgun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Pitchy..the automatic pencil sharpener ....for sale...$165...is cool. You just drop the pencil in and turn the crank. To me, the era from about 1890-1920 produced machinery that would last forever...everything heavy duty.

The other day I had these 6' logs that needed to be stacked. Working alone, using the bucket on the Kubota is not as easy as you think.....I walked over to my neighbor to ask him if I could borrow his "logging thing-a-ma-jig" . It's a heavy wooden handled thingy with a spike on the end and a movable half moon metal thingy that flops around. (I described that nice!) anyway, you stab the log and let the hook grab in for moving heavy logs by yourself.......so I could get it into position for lifting with the loader.

He says it's over a hundred years old and will likely last forever. I still have it....wait....I'll go take a pic and you can tell me what it is.....

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1866 Post by Sixgun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Jay...wow! $2300......must have been a small scratch....(sarcasm, the way they charge) ok, one headache is over, then the appointment to get her fixed will finish up that fiasco.

Water leak in the copper tubing? Can't a standard ......cut and install a pressure fitting take care of that?

I hear ya on the "into Saturday"....seems like around here, shyt breaks on Friday and is ready to go Sunday night...just in time to start the work week.

More experiences on that.....I drove a 79 Ford F-250 4x4 from '79 to around '97.....Towards the end I well remember wrenching on weekends so I could get to work on Monday-Friday. ---6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1867 Post by Pitchy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:24 pm

That`s called a cant hook buddy, use one on the sawmill all the time big back saver.
I have six pencil sharpeners coming next week so stay tuned for them and we just started making a real old simple style one but i ran out of welding wire so couldn`t finish it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1868 Post by OldWin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Called a Cant Dog in these parts. :D

Yeah, but it ain't copper pipe. Its a tiny plastic line. Probably end up replacing the whole thing. Couldn't get a compression fitting to seal, and I wouldn't trust it if I did.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1869 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Ah yes you are better off replacing it, that ice maker line is cheap enough.
Here I have very acidic/ high iron water. Seems like at least once a year I have a pin hole leak pop up. I've gone to replacing with PEX tubing and sharkbite fittings.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

#1870 Post by Bronco » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:15 pm

It is call a Peavey ! Slang terms work also :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1871 Post by Sixgun » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Wow...a peavey.......a cant hook, ........and a cant dog.......thanks for narrowing that down guys! For the meantime, I'll just call it a "back saver with a hook"-----The Count

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1872 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:39 am

Got this gift from Gunny today, it`s great buddy we really like it but you wern`t supposed to send me anything for making the welcome sign.
Now how did you make it and what kind of wood is it?

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1873 Post by OldWin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 am

Wow! That is just beautiful.
Good on you both!

Griff
Posting leader...

#1874 Post by Griff » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:17 am

Bronco wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Sixgun wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:15 pm
It is call a Peavey ! Slang terms work also :mrgreen:
This↑ ↑ See: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... 1sQAvD_BwE
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1875 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

Well I figured your wonderful wife would like it!
Its black walnut. Most of the work is done with a router.
In the past I've used solid chunks of wood to make these bowls but my stock on big stuff is poor so this one is 2 pieces glued up.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1876 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am
Well I figured your wonderful wife would like it!
Its black walnut. Most of the work is done with a router.
In the past I've used solid chunks of wood to make these bowls but my stock on big stuff is poor so this one is 2 pieces glued up.
It`s wonderfull pard thanks much.
Norma will have to buy more candy to put in it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1877 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Candy, en bloc clips , .22's heck even tins of pellets!
I'm very happy you both like it!
I was worried the finish might rub in shipment but it looks good from your pic. Lacquer is pretty tough stuff!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1878 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Got a few pencil sharpeners in today, i`ll start with the best one.
It took a lot of cranking on a new pencil but eventually got it done, on a dull already tapered one it would go fast.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCKrGb5V8CU
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1879 Post by OldWin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:53 pm

That is cool as all get out bud! I've never seen one of those. Didn't know they made anything like that.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1880 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Thanks buddy, it`s cool i really like it.
We finished making a 1898 Lincoln point maker, will post a pic and vid soon. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1881 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Here`s the Lincoln 1898 we made.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRQ86DqVN0
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1882 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

That rotating cutter wheel is a very cool sharpener! The Lincoln is a different solution to get the point. Just goes to show how inventive our forefathers were. Always interesting seeing how things evolve. Great stuff !

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1883 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks Gunny, i have several other old ones coming next week. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1884 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Wow! Oh man! They say the early bird gets the 🐛 worm so what does a late riser like me get?

Pitchy is now into the pencil sharpening business....I really like the automatic one.....I'm sure you will take the cutters off and stone them like you have to do on the big blades on the saw mill....one at a time. 😎 very cool. Next time I'm at Woodcraft, I'm gonna buy me a pack of GOOD pencils....ones you can put a little pressure on.

Griff said he never hit a deer.....other than the one that hit him........amazing! I personally saw the BLACK ROSE and that baby is clean....with over a million miles on it.....the Good Lord is watching out for ya Griff. You can add me to the list also.....I've come close many times. On my long drive (1.8 miles or 18 tenths of a mile with four right hand turns) to work for over forty years I drove on the double yellow line and it saved me multiple times as our county has the highest concentration of deer 🦌.

How ya making out Jay? Feel better don't ya....after a couple of days, the shock of aggravation wears off. I'm well use daily to dat.

And Master Gunny....The career Marine DI Gunny I know called me yesterday from N.C.....Lives near Camp Lejeune.....same old same old...like the rest of us, just trying to get through life with a laugh thrown in. Instead of talking let's get together at the next Allentown show...I'll have some walnut and Osage Orange 🍊 for you to play with.

I bunked the Lebanon show...did not want to drive 70 miles in the rain ☔️. Yea.....MORE RAIN......being housebound is no good for a healthy mental outlook as depression hits me this time of the year and the rain makes it worse. Believe me guys, I don't always laugh and joke..it's my way of coping with depression.-----The Count

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1885 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey Pitchy.....cut out a piece of heavy Osage Orange about 3" long and 1 and 1/2" in diameter.....then center drill a 2" hole the size of the pencil through the end.........and just set it on the end of the pencil for weight while turning the crank!---Count

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1886 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks Six, here`s a couple more the red one is a bulldog and the other a new X-ACTO.
The ones that are coming have the self feed feature.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1887 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Count- I've got 3 words for you:
Dixon Ticonderioga pencils
The absolute BEST pencil on the planet. Personally I like #3 lead, little harder than #2, point stays much longer.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1888 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks Nobleman ! Dixon Ticonderoga it will be. I think the number two is better for me.....as you age, the lights get dimmer....you'll see.

Pitchy.....that one looks brand spanking new.......(can I have it?)

I can't believe I'm getting excited over pencil ✏️ sharpeners. ......and it's actually the focus of attention on a Saturday.....but.....cool things are that...cool.

Here's the one I keep in the garage.

Here's my deluxe model Boston in the gunroom......this baby will sharpen a half inch dowel

Come on Gunny.....let's see your pencil sharpeners! And Jay...yours too! .....well, Jay is filthy rich and probably just buys pre sharpened pencils and when they dull he uses em for kindling wood

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1889 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Well Jack I have a Boston in the basement, an xacto in the shop, same in my work truck. All pretty much the same as you guys have. I do have a hand held for square pencils, can't get a point but it sure beats a knife!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1890 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Sometimes the best tool is not even a tool that it was designed for. Ive used this a million times instead of turning the crank....a 1" Grizzly belt sander.-----The Count

On a different note, I hypothesize that it's a good thing for all of us here to have a title. I like being a Count! Why don't the rest of you choose a title from below or another you like.

King
Emperor
Prince
Nobleman
Fuzzy Dice Man
Duke
Earl
Count (XXX)
Baron
Viscount
Marquis
Ghetto Master
Sir
Grand Dragon
Cyclops
Pharaoh
Top Coon
Big Wang
Sperm Shooter

Griff
Posting leader...

#1891 Post by Griff » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm

This is 'Merica... we don't have no stinkin' royalty here!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1892 Post by GunnyMack » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Griff wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Well that's not entirely true- the dumbocrat politicians sure think they are the rulers of the country!

I'll stick with my handle.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1893 Post by Pitchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:34 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm
Griff wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm
Well that's not entirely true- the dumbocrat politicians sure think they are the rulers of the country!

I'll stick with my handle.
me too :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1894 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Yea, on second thought, Royality comes from Europe......phuck those shyt heads........I'm going back to being who I am...---6

Nice candy dish Gunny....at first I thought it was a case for a small violin

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1895 Post by Sixgun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Our little furry buddies came in early tonight. Our stupid dogs 🐶 slept through it all. ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1896 Post by Old Savage » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Got your fox, now here here is a road runner ... beep beep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1897 Post by GunnyMack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:54 am

The girls used to go nuts when they would see a fox, always through the yard. Then I got the yard fenced and it took the foxes a little while to figure out how to get in the yard, I fixed that hole real fast- last thing I need is the girls cornering a fox inside the yard.

Now that is bird season I take pheasant carcasses out in the woods for the foxes .

Six your foxes look well fed!

Road Runners!- it's been so long since I've seen one! I can remember watching one kill a rattler then eating it, cool birds!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1898 Post by OldWin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 am

Well, I'm a Royal Azzhole........... :D

That's really cool with the foxes buddy. Hope your cats dont go out. :?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1899 Post by Sixgun » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 pm

I've seen this many times...the cats will be eating out of their pan, just outside the little window in the pic where the fox is real close....and the cats will be eating and take off when the fox shows up. The foxs don't seem to bother the cats and while a cat disappears from time to time, maybe it's a rogue coyote or neighbor.....dunno....

The little roadrunner bird brings up many memories, especially everything with the name "ACME" on it. :D

Well, bunked another show today...Leesport......two days in a row.....yea, been there, don't that a million times.---6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1900 Post by Pitchy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Gunny must be bird hunting, think he mentioned season opened this weekend.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76