M-1 Garand Campfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: M-1 Garand Campfire

#1801 Post by Sixgun » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Wow.....a grade 8!!!???!!!???.....that's like having a deluxe 1886 with 10 special order items. (can I have it?) :D The Count
Donald Trump's Wall Will Work.....China Built One 2000
Years Ago And They Still Don't Have Any Mexicans.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1802 Post by OldWin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Gunny,
Haha no. It's not "new" gun, it's "new to me" gun smell. I can count on one hand the new guns ive bought.

Six,
Haha no prob bro! I know you been busy. And, you don't owe me a thing, man. No sweat!
Guess what I'm doing. As I type this, I'm driving my old Rubicon 25mph......... in the garage! :D
Yup, she's up on jackstands for the winter, but I go out every couple weeks and run it about 10 miles in 4HI. Then I cycle the lockers on and off a bunch of times and cut the wheels back and forth. It's up to almost 30 degrees today so it was a good day for it.
Keeps her young and from gaskets and seals leaking. :D
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1803 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Here is my A1Grade8
20181231_173845.jpg
Her papers say WWMs A1 Grade8

The new to me smell isn't like the NEW gun smell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1804 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Your post card pic reminds of one of Dad's jokes.
Couple good ol boys have a speed boat with a water skier on the rope. The preacher flags them down so they stop to talk.
Preacher says it's awful nice of you taking that 'boy' water skiing.
Bubba says preach we be trolling for gators

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#1805 Post by Sixgun » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Ha! Trollin' for gators! Don't get me started on those jokes. :D

25 in the garage????? I thought I was the only nut who did that. Couple of months ago I had the rear of "Ole Yeller" jacked up in the barn and I was "going through the gears", even down shifting. You are absolutely right, it's better to start em up every couple of weeks or one a month at the latest and get everything working....wheel cylinders, trans, yoke seals, etc.

If it was not raining so damm much I'd take ole yeller out the driveway, sneak on the road for a hundred yards, pull in my inlaws and drive around the field as my field is lower in elevation and is all near underwater. The poor horse practically lives in his run-in as he sinks 6" or more in the mud.....hey!. That reminds me....gotta go and give him his last feeding....if I don't see you boys on the board tonight, stay safe and OFF the road....amateur night tonight for the wannabe 😵 drunks.---The Count

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1806 Post by Sixgun » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Gunny...I'll take your grade 8 anytime over a catalog Parker grade 8. Nice eyes she has....

How come sharks don't attack.....mmmmm....you know?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1807 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:38 pm

My kitchen SHARKS dont attack but they'll beat ya silly with tails!! :lol:
About 4:45 the kitchen sharks start schooling. They go round & round , faint whines & whimpers until I finally give in and feed them. Then they get fruit- Parker is nuts for watermelon!

Had almost a half inch of rain today.if we get an Inch and a half more by midnight it'll be 6 foot for the year!!!

Griff
Posting leader...

#1808 Post by Griff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 am

GunnyMack wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 pm
Jack,Jack,Jack -tsk tsk, that's just dirty pool but I commend you for your fast thinking.
Nice to know you had a fartin good time at the match!!
Jack... you just ain't right! BUT, thanks for the guffaw!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1809 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 am

Happy New Year ? ?
I'll be honest I'm not happy about 'our' new congress...
But I am happy that I didnt wake up dizzy as a libatard this morning!!!!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1810 Post by Sixgun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Griff wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:38 am
GunnyMack wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 pm
Jack,Jack,Jack -tsk tsk, that's just dirty pool but I commend you for your fast thinking.
Nice to know you had a fartin good time at the match!!
Jack... you just ain't right! BUT, thanks for the guffaw!!!

Your welcome Griff! I tell ya, don't know if it was the four eggs I had for breakfast or the new ultra low sodium diet I'm on but those babies reminded me of driving through Marcus Hook, Pa. (oil refinery)....I mean, this guy was litterly gagging....my BIL is used to me being like that so he just put a handkerchief over his face and kept quiet, but I could see tears coming out of his eye.
He HAD to be nice as I was driving and it's 26 miles to the gun club. (He kept the window down on the way home as we both married sisters and he did not want his clothes smelling because I would have told my wife it was HIM.)

Gunny......well, ya feeling better? You must have stayed sober. Me and mom watched the stupid festivities on TV...I mean STUPID........... I CANNOT believe the music these kids are listening to today. I remember the old timers used to say the same of our Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath music but shyt, we went on to get real jobs and become productive members of society. What's all this shyt with purple hair? And girls with massive amounts of tattoos? They look trashy.---The Count

Where's Pitchy? Hope he did not fall in a snow drift as he would not come out of that until the spring thaw and his beard would be all stiff and all. Jay?----Jay?......Jay?.......

Roll Count....NOW!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1811 Post by OldWin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Hey guys. Happy New Year.
Had to clean up some snow this morning. Windy as all get out now. Hate that.
You guts are still rolling, Six? Man! :D
Must be in the air, mines been churning too. :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1812 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Jay I think Jack's wind blew up to Maine and is making you sick!

Griff
Posting leader...

#1813 Post by Griff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:36 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 pm
Jay I think Jack's wind blew up to Maine and is making you sick!
+1. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1814 Post by Sixgun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I went out to feed the horse and licked my finger to check the wind......north, northeast......right towards Gunny.......I let one rip in the 25 mph wind so that mean if Gunny takes a walk outside at 4:21 pm EST, opens his mouth and nose real wide and breathes in, he will get the proper medicine to cure his sinuses.

Hope it works for ya Gunny...and don't be a hog, let some slip by as Maine is in the same path so if Jay takes a walk outside at 9:53 .pm EST, he will get the remaining aroma....try it Jay, its soothing and will put ya right to sleep.

Hey.....gooood gunshow this weekend out in Lebanon, I like it better the than Allentown show as it's never crowded.......I need some new Gor-Tex Military boots and some pants 👖.-----The Count....

Pitchy up yet? He could have lost electric....

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1815 Post by OldWin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Put me to sleep? My alarm goes off at ten so I can get up and got to work.
Don't worry......I will set it early so I can go out and see if it makes the trip. :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1816 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Let me know Jay, I was at my sisters today and was driving home at 4:21! :lol:

Lebanon is about 2 hrs for me each way... I don't like driving 20 minutes anymore! Why do the FUN shows have to be during hunting season!?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1817 Post by Sixgun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Jay....wish the best for ya bud......keep working as I heard my S.S. check is going up $40. As the Moody Blues said in one of their songs..."breathe deep"......funny thing, I was just at my inlaws for a New Years Day Italian feast......and all I could eat were the veggies........string beans, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, and some shrimp, without sauce.... :cry: :cry: ......I can only have pepper or Mrs. Dash........I always considered my wife the best cook in the world but her older sister puts hers to shame........then the prime rib and ham I had to leave alone.....I know about ham having salt and she told me the prime rib was saltless but I was still afraid and stayed away from it. 1000 milligrams of salt is TOPS for me.......shyt, three pieces of cheese has that much. But......my blood pressure is a constant 110 over 65....it's a phucking shame 7 doctors, 3 ENT's, and 3 ER visits could not tell me that.....learned on my own FROM THE INTERNET. Phucking doctors want you to keep coming back.

Most people consume 3500 a day, a low sodium diet is about 2000 so mine is less than half of that. One hot dog ...without bread or condiments is between 550 and 700......shyt, I could eat 4-6 of those like nothing

Gunny....you and I have a lot in common.......we strongly dislike most people and we both HATE to drive. My 2005 Rubicon still looks new and is still on its first tires.....I changed to biggies when it was new...rotating every 6 months or 1500 miles. The odometer just swept by 44,000......and most of those miles are from going to shooting matches upstate..600 mile round trip.....The wife's 2011 Jeep is a four door 🚪 and just clicked 24,000 and half of those miles were from my daughter when she had some issues a few years back.

Pitchy sure is quiet.......somebody ought to stop by and see if he ain't all stiff in a snow drift. I'll wait until the wind changes to north, north west and I'll send him some methane to melt the snow. :D -The Count

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1818 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:35 pm

I've said for years that I'm not prejudiced- I hate everyone equally... some less than others. :lol:
When I had my Rubicon Iput tires on it, all 5 then a couple weeks later traded it in. I miss it but a pickup is much better for hauling the hounds, fishin equipment and whatever else. I'm curious to see the new Jeep gladiator. Might go to one of them when my lease is up.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1819 Post by Sixgun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Gunny....I don't think the new Gladiator is going to go over too well. It does not appeal to me at all...am I'm a Jeep guy. It looks like nothing more than the four door with a back behind the back seat and a little bed. I'd rather have the whole thing covered and the inside all open, like my wife's four door Jeep. A 2 door with a bed, like the old Scrambler is more appealing to me.

Let's pretend you get a gladiator and then put a cap on it...shyt, I'd rather have the four door with everything open. I could be wrong but to me, the whole idea of a Jeep is the size of it and maneuverability of the standard short 2 door like my Rubicon. That sucker will fit between two trees and turn on a dime where the longer one is almost like driving a suburban.....---6

Pitchy thaw out yet?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1820 Post by OldWin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:06 am

Ok, rant.

I agree, Six. That Jeep pickup is stupid. It's been hyped and waited for for over 10 years. They make concepts that people would actually want, then when they finally get a production model, that the government gives their blessing to, it was all a waste.
The Jeep is dead IMO. The TJ was about the end of it. Now it's just another soccer mom minivan stuffed full of electronic garbage so that the owner can feel "part of that rugged Jeep image". Nobody waves, they'd NEVER stop for another Jeep on side of the road.
Like everything else. Phony. Jeep is riding high cause they sell a pile of them. Problem is, they've shyt all over their loyal customer base. Eventually, the trendies will be be off onto something else and they will be left with nothing.
Ask L.L.Bean.

Rant off.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1821 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 am

Jay....that was well said, especially the part of shytting on the people that made the Jeep famous, cats like you and me. When I drive the wife's fo doe, :D I feel like I'm driving what ..you know, what soccer moms drive. The day after I bought my Rubicon, I ripped out the back seat, along with the brackets and the seat belts....plugged the holes...done!

That really was a great move (getting rid of a the back seat) by me as it has saved me more than once to , "hey ! Can I bring my buddy too?"... :D ....I'd respond, "sure, but where is he gonna sit without a seat belt?"..----The Count

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1822 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:49 am

You hit it right Jay!
Yeah the gladiator is the Ram1500 frame with jeep body. I'm still curious to actually SEE one. I agree if Jeep was thinking they would do the Scrambler again.
I often thought about a bumper sticker- IF ITS GOT 4 doors it ain't a JEEP

Maybe Pitchy got LEAVE and he is incognito on a beach in the South Pacific?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1823 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 am

Gunny.....is that right?....dodge pick up frame with a Jeep body? Remember the REAL Hummer? Then remember the junk that followed it? They sure did not last long.

Seems to me the whole idea of the Jeep changed when they went with the V-6....it always bother me.....other than the scarce 304 every Jeep had a straight something in it.----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1824 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 am

That's what I read. Ram frame so its gonna be a big vehicle.
I agree the V6 is NOT the right engine. In lines are torque producers and that's what ya need for off road work. And exactly why I love my Cummins 5.9 diesel- 625fpt @ 1200rpm.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1825 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Jay really put it in words properly as to what happened to the Jeep. Kinda like Fords Thinderbird in 1958

I hear ya...the inlines producing torque........I remember the tractor trailer truck drivers, upon buying a new tractor, (yes, there were owner operators at one time)......ask Griff.......anyway, they would tell me to jump off the loading dock and check out their new baby.....after going through the interior, along with their "love nest" in the back, they would then show me the engine.....big monsters with the head containing pistons the size of basketballs......always in a line!

A BIG Jeep?????? Not for me..... I've been told by many Jeep people I could get the same amount of money for my Jeep that I paid for it in 2005 because of its condition, mileage, color and mostly because $24,000 was nothing compared to the same Jeep costing over 40 today........SEE WHAT OBAMA DID?????? He was an expert at devaluing the once mighty dollar and giving it t deserving hard working patriotic people. :evil:

Well, gotta go.......dogs are wailing for their exotic dog food and I need to get to Home Depot for some special drill bits.---The Count.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1826 Post by Old Savage » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm

I have only driven two Jeeps, both 4 cyl. One was a WWII Army Jeep. The other is my Patriot which is not at all an off roader, 2.0 L 4 Cyl., 25 right now running around and up to 35 mpg on the freeway.

Six, a friend posted her happy new year so I will pass it along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1827 Post by OldWin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 pm

For me, it's less the V6 than the tub design, electronics, and the size.
Jeep use the Buick 225 Dauntless in the CJ5 back in the 60's. The original engine compartment wasn't long enough for an I6. The early CJ5 had an 80" wheel base. They added 6" to it between the windshield and the hood for the I6 at around 1972 to make the 86" CJ5's. There was a "transition model" from 72-75.
Starting with the CJ7 in 1977, there was a 94" inch wheelbase that was stuck with all the way to 2006 with the end of the TJ..
This, and the width, was changed with the JK. It is also the first time there isn't a tub that you step down into when opening the door. There is insulation under the carpets, wiring into the doors, no paddle door handles, traction control, no half door option.........
They went too far IMO.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: M-1 Garand Campfi

#1828 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:09 pm

OS....every man has his preferred type......mine are black haired with healthy soft stuff and legs that can snap your snake off with one squeeze....make sense?.....said in a way that's acceptable on the board. That gal has it ..she's the same one in the bikini that you showed earlier. She's no spring chicken and I'm sure she has the experience to make a mans experience memorable. :D How old is she?....mid forties? Wonder what her head is like....is she all "californiaized"....liberal progressive type that drives a Prius? :D if so, she no longer interests me. My kind of gal has to think like Boots......she really is cool and one day I'd like to visit her and Brad....hard working conservative people who say it like it is...... :D

OK, on to Jay.....my man Jay......your a Jeep encyclopedia. I never knew about the tub thingy.....so, what your saying is about the only thing original to the Jeep concept is the grill? Now I'm beginning to realize why the snakes are saying when they say they want to buy my Jeep. Last of the "correct designs" and is still pretty close to new condition. It's only been in the rain 19 times...for real, no bs......and those times was when I was upstate and had no choice as to weather.

Yesterday I detailed it real nice with armorall .....cleaned up the insides and sprayed berry air conditioner scent ......after I sell a couple of Winchesters this month I'm gonna put on new sneakers.....I need your opinion pal, ole buddy......when the Jeep was only a couple of months old I put on a set of Goodyear MTR's 33 x 11 as the 12" width rubs hard on the lower control arms....what's your suggestion on my next new set? I don't care about a comfy ride as the tread design needs to be beefy with aggressive looks....NO SUPER SWAMPERS! ...they are good for about 15k miles. My son suggests Toyo.---The Count

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1829 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:42 pm

I've had great luck with Cooper tires, only tire that the Cummins gets any mileage out of... but you weren't askin me :lol: !!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1830 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Gunny....come on dude....common sense is common sense....we are a 4 man TEAM here....well, 3 for the last couple of days. Yea, those diesels are heavy buggers...probably 6000 empty.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1831 Post by OldWin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey buddy,
Yes, the Toyo M/T is pretty good. Guys in the club have been trying the Cooper STT M/T with good luck also.
I have been running the BF Goodrich M/T KM2 in a 33x10.50-15. I went back to 15 inch rims on my Rubicon. The reason is that 16" tires are too stiff and heavy for a Jeep. The stock 245/75-16 MTRs on aluminum wheels weigh a pound MORE apiece than the 33 BFGs on 15" steel wheels. The MTRs are load range E. Thats ridiculous on a Jeep.
I also don't like wide tires on a Jeep, hence the 10.50 width. I've been really happy with them.

Griff
Posting leader...

#1832 Post by Griff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm

OldWin wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:06 am
Ok, rant.

I agree, Six. That Jeep pickup is stupid. It's been hyped and waited for for over 10 years. They make concepts that people would actually want, then when they finally get a production model, that the government gives their blessing to, it was all a waste.
The Jeep is dead IMO. The TJ was about the end of it. Now it's just another soccer mom minivan stuffed full of electronic garbage so that the owner can feel "part of that rugged Jeep image". Nobody waves, they'd NEVER stop for another Jeep on side of the road.
Like everything else. Phony. Jeep is riding high cause they sell a pile of them. Problem is, they've shyt all over their loyal customer base. Eventually, the trendies will be be off onto something else and they will be left with nothing.
Ask L.L.Bean.

Rant off.
EXACTLY the way I feel about Winchester, (oh, okay, USRA) and what they did to the model 94 with the stupid 94AE.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1833 Post by OldWin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm

True dad, Griff!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1834 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Just making sure you were paying attention Hatchet!
My Ruby had the factory BFG MT2 and I noticed a lot of slipping on wet roads in turns. I wore them out dont get me wrong but then I put the same Coopers on that Jay mentioned and noticed better handling on wet.
I also had them at one point for my 1st diesel and they did well. My 07 Ram is on second set of Coopers.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1835 Post by Old Savage » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Have the 94AE from 1990. Great rifle! Mine will shoot 3/4" at 100 yds with a couple factory loads. 650+ rds no malfunctions. Got something better??? Just what is the beef here?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1836 Post by OldWin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:45 pm
Just making sure you were paying attention Hatchet!
My Ruby had the factory BFG MT2 and I noticed a lot of slipping on wet roads in turns. I wore them out dont get me wrong but then I put the same Coopers on that Jay mentioned and noticed better handling on wet.
I also had them at one point for my 1st diesel and they did well. My 07 Ram is on second set of Coopers.
I would not run the BFGs on a full size vehicle. However, on a Jeep, they are very good.
Remember also, my Jeep is not a daily driver. While they have worn excellent for about 15,000 miles, I rotate them every 800-1000 miles. I judge them as an off road tire.
I usually run them at 9-10lbs while off road. On the road at about 30lbs.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1837 Post by Sixgun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Ok Jay...I'm learning..thank you.......as I'm not really "into" Jeeps, I rely on advice from guys in the know.....OK, it's been narrowed down to Toyo and Cooper.......the "investigation" begins.....I do want a very aggressive look ......helps to keep Prius's and BMW's away from me....

Pitchy?...oooooohhhhhhhhh. Pitchy......you be dare?

Hey, I hear it's really cold in Minnesota.......you guys think......oh no!.......you think....may the Lord help.......that maybe he took a swig of a rum and Coke ...his tongue was wet...and........and......he licked the John Deere and is stuck somewhere at the end of the driveway?----The Count

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1838 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:02 am

I hope and pray Pithcy is ok! Please let us know you are out there on patrol?

So yesterday I rolled out of bed and I just about fell over. Seems the antibiotics aren't working as good as I thought. Spent most of the day horizontal. Called Doc about it and he finally got back to me about 8:45 last night, a second Rx has been called in for me. He warned me to get ready for a lot of time spent on the throne- this Rx is POTENT ! Oh joy...

Griff
Posting leader...

#1839 Post by Griff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 am

Old Savage wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 pm
Have the 94AE from 1990. Great rifle! Mine will shoot 3/4" at 100 yds with a couple factory loads. 650+ rds no malfunctions. Got something better??? Just what is the beef here?
It's like the pre-'64 or post-'64 Winchester deal... there's nothing "wrong" with the new guns... but they're "not" Winchester 94s. That notch in the right side of the receiver makes it "ugly" in comparison to the graceful straight line of the mdl 94. Just like beauty, ugly is strictly in the eye of the beholder. I gather that some folks like (or need), to scope their rifle... and making a version that fulfills that market is a good thing. But, did it have to do it at the expense of the another market share... those who liked the lines of the original... and would have kept buying new ones.

I had one Winchester mdl 94 when USRA made that change. A 1978 (or 1979, depending on who you use as a reference), at the time USRA took over from Olin Corp. and begat the 94AE. But, I was already in the market to purchase a replacement for the mdl 64A I'd had stolen several years before. I was gifted a mdl 94 carbine from the 1920's by a cowboy friend, and bought a octagon 26" bbl'd rifle made in the same decade... and slowly acquired several more. I really wanted a "Classic" in the 26" octagon variety... as I feel much more comfortable shooting full power loads in newly manufactured guns than in antiques. But, the Commemoratives (as well as the Antique & Classic versions) were holding their value pretty well at the time. And I was picking up shooter grade antiques for the princely sum of between $150-$300 per, depending on finish.

Then, USRA went and put that "button" on the side as a safety. And the price they were then asking for the 1894/1994 Centennial was just too much. At least it was for me, with the big ugly button in the side... It was a top eject, and while that was exactly what I wanted... that button on the side of the receiver seemed sacrilegious...

I know, it's an emotional thing... similar to why do I love the '55 Chevy, and think the '56 is uglier than some girl what's run into a Mack truck face first. I know a guy that has one, and I've told him more'n once that the only reason to have a '56 is akin to havin' a ugly girlfriend... at least no one else is trying to steal her away! Yep, that's a 94AE to me. And let's not even talk about a '58... yet a good friend of mine thinks they're the cats meow!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1840 Post by Old Savage » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am

Well Griff I understand brother and though I have no real use for the 30-30 I have more of them than any other caliber. The Grail for me was the 61 I first saw in a catalog and came up with one that is near perfect and shoots great. But that is the only singing I have done to Who is on the Lord's Side from the old hymnal. All the others are post 63. That includes the cross bolt in 444. Bothers me not at all. 9 shots under a tennis ball with two different kinds of ammo open sights at 100 yds 5 Remington factory 240s were all on a golf ball. The plain 1894-1994, very accurate. One of the last 25-35s, under an inch with a scope, it has the coveted tang safety. And, my first described above 1990, 20", old time Weaver 4x. Now the story there is I always shot it open sights, no ugly as hail Rube Goldberg peep for me. Usually got 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" groups at 100 yd. Then the astigmatism set in groups went to 10" and I put that Weaver on it. .75" with 2 brands of 170s. I'll take that so as you say, to each his own. I do recall I believe you killed a deer at 257 yds with one of yours with a rest from a stand.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1841 Post by Pitchy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks fellars i`m ok sort of, hip has been bothering me and prostate and lower back.
I think they all may be tied together so been kinda bummed about that with having to plow snow and all.
That and had to get away from this puter and radio for a few days.
I`d probably have to be dead to not show up here, and might even if i was. :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1842 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 pm

I'd bet your plowing and clearing snow is why you are hurting! You aren't used to that kinda work. Hope you feel better quick!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1843 Post by Old Savage » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 pm

This is my 25-35, bought it from Jeff. It is a dandy. Nice to have someone test a particular rifle for you and work up loads. Shoots sweet as can be.

http://www.gunblast.com/Winchester_25-35.htm

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1844 Post by Sixgun » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Pitchy...I hear ya bud.....sometimes it is necessary to walk from it all from time to time. I never loaded one cartridge in the month of December and that's rare....I've kept a log since 1981 and it's only happened 4-6 times out of around 140 months.

Whew, Next time you go plowing carry a heated water bottle with ya with olive oil in it, so the next time you get your tongue stuck on the fender of the John Deere you will be able to break free.

Griff....did you know Jay...(Old Win.) back when you had that 64 stolen? He would have stuck out in that Texas climate wearing the big buffalo coat.

Where's Mr. "soft stuff"? ...oh....reminiscing and playing with the 25-35.....

As you already know, Gunny....take care of your malady....you don't want it progressing. I've spent about 25% of my waking hours horizontal during 2018.....no fun, but I guess at least we are this side of the dirt.----The Count.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1845 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Yes Jack I'm working on it. Went to town this morning to pick up the new antibiotics, $106 ! 45 bucks on gas, 50 bucks for dog food- expensive morning!!!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1846 Post by Sixgun » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

2 c notes gone to the wind......except the dogs.......no expense spared for animals around here.....$400 a month for the horse alone....he can't eat hay anymore as his teeth are worn down so he gets Equine Senior fed to him three or four times a day. Been like that for five years.......he's pushing 40. The dogs get regular Fed-Ex deliveries of Chewy, along with their daily meals of chicken breast and rice.

Animals are at our mercy when we take them on as a pet.....they live here until they die naturally.....no animal gets put down, except a horse we had for over thirty years and she developed a nurturing issue (long story)....fell down in the snow....could not get back up.....she was a goner and suffering......a 400 gr. 45-70 bullet traveling 1100 from an 1886 between the eyes and two inches high put her out....I cried for two weeks and still see her face in my memory at the flash...it was nighttime.---The Count

Phuck most people......If I had no children, everything would go to the mistreatment of animals.

Griff
Posting leader...

#1847 Post by Griff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Old Savage wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am
...killed a deer at 257 yds with one of yours with a rest from a stand.
Let's not exaggerate, it was 238 yards... :wink:

I agree, I like pretty, accurate rifles... and handguns, but they need not be so pretty. In fact my favorite handguns tend to be rather... "experienced"... scars and nicks don't upset me on them. They really don't on long guns, as long as I'm the one that put 'em there.

Pitchy, watch your pace brother... there's no need to get it all done in a day... Leave a little for tomorrow... as in, if I catch up on all my chores, the wife will find me something to do that I WON'T enjoy.

Gunnymack, take yer medicine and enjoy it! I might wanna get some work done on a gun... and I ain't sendin' it off to no sick guy!

Sixgun/OldWin; It tweren't Jay... and weren't stolen from TX... I was living in CA at the time... six months back from VN and they stole some $8,000 of Japanese camera gear (1971 dollars), that mdl 64A, a mdl 94, a mdl 19 S&W and a Colt SAA. At least Jay better hope it weren't him... as I still bear a grudge, and now I own a backhoe. Although, if they were returned, no worse for wear... and sufficiently apologetic... nope! I still won't let it slide!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1848 Post by Pitchy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Griff.
+36 degrees today but didn`t do much plowed snow again as we got a nuisance snow of three inches yesterday, also plowed a road up to the mill where the shootin target is but didn`t get around to shooting.
Went to the shop and made a pencil sharpener called a little shaver, i have some old sharpeners coming one a 1907 and when i get them all i`ll post some pics and video.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1849 Post by Sixgun » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 pm

A pencil sharpener is a must around here. Have one on the work bench in the garage, another in the gun room and three upstairs. My dad was quite a wood craftsman and he had them all over the place for his woodworking. Here is one from him...a Boston. He used to pick em up at flea markets for a couple of dollars.

One thing for sure, when buying pencils it pays to buy quality as cheap ones break easily and are hard to sharpen....sometimes you end up grinding the whole thing down before you get a decent point.----The Count

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#1850 Post by Old Savage » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Sheffield Bowie