M-1 Garand Campfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M-1 Garand Campfire

#1151 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Copy that Six.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#1152 Post by Sixgun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Grooooaaaannnn! Got up at 2 today.....raining like crazy......Fed the horse, came in and fed myself......mom can cook the best eggs in the world.

Opening day in Pa....wow, never missed opening day since 1966. Even went out last year but my heart was not in it.

Griff is being quite the responsible dude....funny thing, just a few min. ago I was watching an old Bonanza and the guest star was named Griff.

Jay and Gunny holding up the shovels...fine with me...I won't even bother to inspect that. I'm headed to the T bar. (Garage...more cleaning and shelf building)----------6
Colt Sporter 2 Factory Tiger Camo

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#1153 Post by Sixgun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Pitchy,
Before you dump pile of money into something that has been rebuilt twenty times and supposedly "checked out", come up with a couple of hundred more and buy a NEW M1-A.....just a regular one...no need for the match or super match....the standard ones will outshoot any Garand out there. .308 ammo is relatively cheap....the gun is simpler than a Garand .....pretty much like a Garand....and with it, you can pretend your in Vietnam.---6. Plus, it's a lot easier to scope an M1-A.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1154 Post by Pitchy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Too late sending paper work off tomorrow. :)
I`m a Garand man :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.

Beaker
Levergunner 2.0

#1155 Post by Beaker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm
Pitchy,
Before you dump pile of money into something that has been rebuilt twenty times and supposedly "checked out", come up with a couple of hundred more and buy a NEW M1-A.....just a regular one...no need for the match or super match....the standard ones will outshoot any Garand out there. .308 ammo is relatively cheap....the gun is simpler than a Garand .....pretty much like a Garand....and with it, you can pretend your in Vietnam.---6. Plus, it's a lot easier to scope an M1-A.

I concur and second this suggestion. 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1156 Post by Sixgun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Ok Pitchy...that's fine, your right, and I'm happy for you. :D Sometimes people don't realize other options. For an instance, when I bought my Jeep in 2005, there was an orange one at the local dealership, set up just the way I like them....roll up windows, 6 speed manual trans and in my favorite color. I was getting ready to pay the man and a light bulb (10 watt) lit up in my brain telling me I should consult with my son before buying as he is THE MAN when it comes to Jeeps.

My son asked me, "is it a Rubicon?" I said, "what's that?" He told me I was a retart for not knowing as the Rubicon comes with the Dana 44 rears, built in transfer case slip yoke eliminator, beefed up trans and a bullet proof 4 position transfer case for a few thou more. Well, it took me another week to find one like that as I wanted one in Orange.....and found it 50 miles away. Glad I did.

When Pitchy gets this other Garand , it will be sooooooo much easier when he is patrolling. Instead of 10 pounds on his right shoulder, he will have the same weight on the left shoulder....well balanced. When both rifles are slung on his shoulders, he will have more balance to be able to sip his rum and Coke....because, Pitchy would rather drop his rifles in the mud before spilling any rum and Coke. Shyt, you can clean the mud off, but rum on the ground is just that..wasted!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1157 Post by OldWin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Ok, I have to admit......
I love the M1A, too. I had an M1A......well, 2......before I had an M1.
I have a full size standard and an 18" scout. Love em both. I have shot these rifles more than any of my military rifles.
Six is right, they are more simple in construction.
All that being said, there is NOTHING like an M1 for it's sheer history. It represents this country at its best. And......it's a great rifle to boot.
Rock on, Lenn! :D
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1158 Post by Pitchy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Well fellars i know what i want, can only afford one at a time can`t go out and buy everything i want at once like some. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1159 Post by OldWin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Pitchy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm
Well fellars i know what i want, can only afford one at a time can`t go out and buy everything i want at once like some. :wink:
No worries buddy! Neither can I. :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1160 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm thinking Norma wants this M1 so
Pitchy has to get another for himself !

My 08 Rubicon had factory lockers, only used them once, we were up in the woods cutting trees in January. Got to one spot with enough snow I couldn't get through then I pushed the magic button and I chewed my way through it, snow flying from all 4 corners- WHEEE! And then I had to stop and game over, had to get pulled out with the skidder!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1161 Post by Sixgun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Gunny...never knew you had a Jeep..your just like Pitchy...hiding stuff....his M-1A and your Jeep....I wonder what Jay is hiding.

Pitchy..you don't know the whole story...if I post a 5 K gun, it means I sold other stuff to finance it. I never made more than 44k as I refused to work overtime at work..."8 and skate" I used to call it. Just two people in the plant had enough seniority to do that and I was one of them. I've also been in this gun game seriously since I was a young teenager. I was sooooo happy when I could buy my own stuff at 18....and 21 for sixguns.

No credit cards, and driving 3 vehicles for my entire adult life, along with excellent attention to money handling made life easy as I reached retirement age. I seldom "spend" money...if money goes out of my pocket, I want to back..with interest......make sense? :D

Well, I tore out the shelving on the one garage wall....man, I found all kinds of shyt I lost over the years in the nooks and crannies. Here's a pic...after I post this I'm going out to make new shelving on that wall...with wood I have in the barn...that wood was leftover from the builders as I told them if it's on my property, I paid for it so they ain't gonna take home stuff I paid for. ..........Six

I brought in a wheelbarrow load of wood.....thought you guys would like to see the wheelbarrow again. It's a NICE ONE!

This is "The Twinks" hiding in a box that holds something mom bought.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1162 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I HAD 2 jeeps, a 1988 YJ I bought for a song, needed a head gasket. Then I bought the 08 used. Sold the 88 few years later, put new wheels on it, weber carb, u joints, starter yadda yadda... Just Empty Every Pocket.

I loved my Rubicon but when I couldn't keep coolant in the thing it went down the road! That was last summer, dealer gave me 14k for trade in. Now I have my 07 Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9L Cummins and a 17 Dodge 1500. Gotta say the 1500 is much more comfortable hauling the dogs, fishing stuff and I can get 2 round trips to the gun club on 1 tank of gas!!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1163 Post by OldWin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am

Snowing again.
My dad and I went up to the lot and got the ice shack Sunday. We got it out ok but it wasn't far off the road.
We have to still get two ladder stand seats and a climber out. These are all between a 1/2 and 3/4 mile off the road. It's getting dicey for the four wheeler. May have to use the snowmobile. Hate to, cause it won't be easy getting it close then getting turned around.
If I hadn't shot such a nice tree this year, it wouldn't have been worth it. :D

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1164 Post by Pitchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Hope ya get er done ok Jay, be careful.

Christmas came early this morn, got a package from Six that was chucked full of all kinds of goodies. :)
Some nice stuff in there pard Norma and i thank ya much. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1165 Post by Sixgun » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Oh no! I made a monster!!!! Be careful with that Osage Orange...it will take the charm off of a new blade. The guy who cut it told me sometimes he sees sparks.

Play with the wood...I have more ...it's just hard getting a piece more than a foot long due to the curvy nature of the tree.

You look good with that hat.....
Now, I want you to put on the hat and proudly walk in the liquor store and get yourself a 1.75----

Your welcome buddy...anytime...I have more I'll put together....useful stuff. Next week I'm gonna make mouse loads for the Garand. You won't even hear them.---6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1166 Post by Pitchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks again buddy, i`ll shoot the ammo when it warms up maybe the end of the week they say.
Jerky is excellent that won`t last long.
I`ll figure out something to make from the wood, i know they make bows from it because its so tough.
Can always use gloves and some fit Norma so she`s happy.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1167 Post by OldWin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks, Lenn. We will old buddy.

Good on you, Six! You're good people, man!
That's a stylin new hat, Pitchy!

Whew! Just got in from snowblowing.......again.
Gonna be a long winter.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1168 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

That's the first RED FANGED M1 owning NRA member I've ever seen!
You walk around like that on patrol and folks will stay clear :lol:

Those look like cast loads ?

Well I'm kinda on vacation for a few days, had some running around to do this morning, stopped at the fly shop to bs, I was the only person to stop in so far. Not surprised, the river was over 2000 cubic feet per second over the weekend!

Came home to make some adjustments to my plow, got that done- just need snow for testing. Then I tried to get the Chinese thing heater for the ranger working. Had re solider a wire, nope. Took it apart gave it a shot of silicone, no good... Plug it in and fan spins about 4 times then stops... So I'm 50-50 for the day.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#1169 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:49 pm

I didn’t even notice the ammo, was looking at the jerky and thinking how well that would go with a Pepsi..... Any of you guys go looking for Diamond Willow or Fatwood? For the 1st time in 56 years I have Bullseye powder to try out and use!!! Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1170 Post by Pitchy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks fellars, the jerky is great Todd and we have found Diamond willow around here and made a few shooting sticks or walking canes but getting harder to find.
Gunny Six can fill ya in on the ammo and enjoy the time off.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1171 Post by Pitchy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 am

Might get some snow today, could use some soon to keep the frost from going down.
Sent the forms and money off for the 308 Grand yesterday now the wait is on :)
Jay did you get everything out of the woods ok?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1172 Post by OldWin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 am

Morning bud.
Glad you got the ball rolling on your new rifle. That'll be a great shooter. And cheaper to shoot.
No, we haven't gone up for the stands. May wait till after the kids go home. They are here till Saturday.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#1173 Post by 2ndovc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:36 am

OldWin wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 pm
Ok, I have to admit......
I love the M1A, too. I had an M1A......well, 2......before I had an M1.
I have a full size standard and an 18" scout. Love em both. I have shot these rifles more than any of my military rifles.
Six is right, they are more simple in construction.
All that being said, there is NOTHING like an M1 for it's sheer history. It represents this country at its best. And......it's a great rifle to boot.
Rock on, Lenn! :D
Same here, except I’ve had my M1 about 15 years longer than my Springfield’s. Two big reasons, I was on a Winchester tear big time and in the ‘90s M1s were way cheaper then M1As. I’m down in the great state of Fl for a few more days. 8)

Looking forward to seeing that new M1, Lenn! Gotta get what makes you happy.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1174 Post by Pitchy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks jb, it`s going to be hard waiting i can`t wait for paint to dry. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1175 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm

So much for my mini vacation! Went to help a buddy put up a couple ceiling fans this morning. Says to me feel like helping put the new decking down? Well ok let's get to it. Got home just before dark, didnt have breakfast, no time for lunch, worked thru the couple snow squalls. But I did get to terrorize his house cats so that's always good!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1176 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Hey where'd everybody go?

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1177 Post by Pitchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:37 pm

I was wondering the same thing, guess everyone is busy.
Not much to talk about on the home front, snowed a little more but in the high 20`s.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#1178 Post by 2ndovc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:58 pm

I’m still in FL enjoying the sunshine. :D

Went to the range today with my dad and his friends. One of them just bought a DSA, inc. semiauto rework of a Soviet RPK light machine gun. Got to run a belt through it, What a hoot! Helping my dad and one of the guys set up tomorrow for a gun show this weekend. Should be fun.
Lots of pictures to post when I get home.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1179 Post by Pitchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Now that sounds like fun jb, look forward to seeing the pictures. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1180 Post by OldWin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Hit the range this afternoon with my boy. I was worried we wouldn't be able to get back out. It's about a mile in and it was dicey getting in with the truck.
Shot my Argentine 1911, my 22/45 Lite, Rossi 92 .357 (we ran the snot outta the Rossi), and I let my son fire the first shot from the unfired Legendary Lawmen.
We zeroed it and it shot great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1181 Post by Pitchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Nice, glad ya had a fun day bud. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#1182 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:32 pm
Hey where'd everybody go?
Sorting and packing up for my foray to the north woods. Going to spend a month casting, loading, sizing and smelting. I have to confess, I sold my 45/70 lever. I don’t even feel guilty yet. I’m down to 4 levers!... Finally bought a pressure cooker, do looking forward to using it.. Pitchy we have light snow but it’s creating black ice on the deck and steps, weird huh! SIX, do you have matching hat and gloves you wear while driving yer wheel barrow? Todd/3leg

Oldwin, did you have the range to yourself?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1183 Post by Pitchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Have fun Todd, i hear they had over 300 accidents in MPLS yesterday. :shock:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1184 Post by OldWin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Pitchy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm
Nice, glad ya had a fun day bud. 8)
Thanks buddy. We had a blast. :D

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#1185 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Pitchy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 pm
Have fun Todd, i hear they had over 300 accidents in MPLS yesterday. :shock:
What’s this MPLS you speak of? :P I don’t miss being down there one bit.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1186 Post by Pitchy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Can`t even remember the last time we were there which is fine with me. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1187 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Six must still be sleeping!?

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#1188 Post by fordwannabe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 pm

I was in a tree most of the day. Saw a fairly large bobcat but can’t shoot them in PA😏 so shooting it would be wrong. I saw a doe with a yearling also. Not doe season until Saturday.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1189 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:46 am

Bobcat eh? Never seen one in the wild. Could be the reason you only saw A doe and A fawn... Predator numbers are rising nation wide, before long the prey population is going to fall and then the state will open a bobcat season after Mr.& Mrs. Jones's house cat and little fru-fru dogs start disappearing for the developments.

Glad you are out there trying for a buck, I just don't have the desire to deer hunt much anymore. Hope you connect Tom!

Still no Sixgun... He must be buried by landslide in his garage?! :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1190 Post by Sixgun » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 am

He's here, alive and well! :D Got a lot of other stuff going on. When I get involved in something, it's 100% and forget everything else. I am getting close to finishing the garage.......threw out the old shelving, built new stuff, rearranged the woodworking equipment, blah, blah, blah.....----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1191 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:42 am

Whew glad you are ok, thought maybe you were the victim of a garage avalanche.... laying there just out of reach of your ipad and not being able to call for help!!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1192 Post by Pitchy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Glad all is well Six. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#1193 Post by OldWin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Glad you're ok buddy.
My garage is a jigsaw puzzle in winter. Everything has to be in juuusssst the right spot.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1194 Post by Pitchy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Today we made a obscura, a box used to trace pictures explanation below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1195 Post by Sixgun » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Well, BIG news here. Went to the post office and there was a prize waiting for me. It was sent by Mr. Pitchy and even came with a pair of revolvers! Mom wanted to be the first to test it and she said, "look! The lettering is burned into the wood!"

Anyway, mom flipped the switch and I came out of the box with a Smith and Wesson #1 in 22 short. Bang! Bang!

After the shooting was over it was time for photography classes to begin and the first to enroll was "Miss Twinkles", the busy body of busy bodies.

Thanks Lenn! Your the best! ------6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1196 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Now that's neat! I could see where something like that would be handy. That would work for tracing engraving patterns then photo copy it, cut the pattern out oversize then hold in place and wipe with acetone- BINGO 1 pattern ready for the graver!
Do I see adjustable focus too?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1197 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Lenn got your likeness down pretty good- just needs a little face paint!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#1198 Post by Pitchy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Great pics Six, glad it got there and glad ya like it. 8)
Gunny the front with the lens in it slides in and out of the box for focus, this is just a small replica they would make a big one for tracing images.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#1199 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 pm

I thought so- I'm a pretty fart smaller ain't I?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#1200 Post by Sixgun » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Camera obscura.....interesting to the fact that it's been around for 400 years. I'm gonna check this baby out in detail.

Hey Gunny...figured I'd never make it to the show tomorrow. Just hang around here and have fast draw contests with my new partner.----6