M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire)

#3201 Post by Sixgun » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Excuse me...please pass the Grey Poupon......from your Volkswagen to my Rolls Royce Phantom VIII. :D

Fred.....now your talkin' .....just told mom...she's going to do an eye roast tomorrow into chile......with three cans of kidney beans.......NO beano........I can't wait for all of the fartin' coming up....boom! Boom!.....when you can't make it to the gun club you just gotta have something that goes boom! In fact, I'm taking off my underwear tomorrow so I don't stain em all up! This is gonna be fuuuunnnnnn.... ....gotta keep exercising the sphincter muscle. :D ---6
Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3202 Post by GunnyMack » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:52 am

Just what you had wrote...' Spicey food unbalances some people'. I was just going for the joke, no worries!

Actually pancakes with over easy eggs on top with Tabasco and syrup is how I do it! Hmm I never thought about Tabasco on a pbj, gonna have to try that!

Boy I'm glad it's an EAST wind today.... No Sixgas to worry about! :lol:
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3203 Post by fordwannabe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 am

Anybody hear about a trash dump fire anywhere? There is a putrid foul smell here in Berks county. Hmm dunno🤮
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3204 Post by Old Savage » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am

Six, I see the picture never made it through. No beans, guajillo chiles.

Added some black beans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#3205 Post by Sixgun » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am

WTF! Don't like losing a hour of sleep.....I only got 9 hours instead of 10....anyway, on to fun stuff......

Fred.....I got mom looking at your goodies and a recipe Gunny sent over by Marine Corp dispatch....

I just woke up 20 minutes ago. Forgot when I got to bed....somewhere around 3.....

Check in later...in the meantime I have farting to do and get ready for company.....a fellow Winchester guy is stopping over....a lifelong Winchester collecting competitor......yea...this guy has nicer stuff than me...like three 1895's in 405 that are still new....but,I've got rarer stuff....---6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3206 Post by Sixgun » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Wow! Just got rid of the company. This guy shows up with an 1895 Winchester in 35 W.C.F. , which is a 405 necked down.....about a 90% gun with a perfect bore....cleeeaaannnnn....100% original.....he gonna take it to the big Baltimore show next week.. ... coulda had it a fair amount less than what he's gonna ask for it.....but already have a few of em.....

Well? Next exciting ting happening? Nuttin'......gonna play the rest of the day...or,what's left of it...---6

Mom made a mess of shrimp 🍤 with her special sauce........chile is gonna have to wait a day....besides, my azzhole needs a rest from the hard boiled eggs yesterday......

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3207 Post by Sixgun » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Hey...you guys ever try recharging regular batteries , alkaline or regular? I have this charger for doing rechargeable bat 🦇
teries and I've been playing with batteries that you are not supposed to recharge. I also have this battery tester....a good one....and I'm getting full charges after about a half hour....and they last! Shyt, I may never buy batteries again.

I did notice you can't let them stay in longer than 15-45 minutes or they get hot.

More experimentation to continue.--6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3208 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Of course. Some new chargers will, or wont if they detect that they aren't lithium or NmH batteries. The the power supplies that put out 5-12v dc will. Just watch them so they dont get hot. If bstteries get hot it means aren't taking a charge or are getting ready to burst. Ive been using rechargeables since 1985. I was green (frugal) before it was pliticali krect! 🐢
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3209 Post by Sixgun » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Yea Turtleman...the early rechargeables were not worth a rats azz so I stopped using them years ago...but this new breed of rechargeables are great. As you know, most smaller tools with cords are a thing of the past and most everything uses batteries nowadays.

Now...if I could figure out a way to repair DeWalt batteries I'd be in business. Even taking care of them as to letting them run low and then fully recharging them only gets a couple of years out of them.....and at $80 a pop that sucks. The batteries that come with Makita tools are much better.

Not much burns my azz more than going to Home Depot and giving them a Ben and a Grant for batteries that used to be taken care of with a cord. Out in the garage where my heavy tools are most everything is still run with a cord.

I've had the same Makita power tools for close to 40 years and they get used often.---6

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3210 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Early ones wirked great just had about 1/3 capacity of ones nowadays. Amazon has fairly decent dewalt and other battery oacks for $10 on up. The 12v and 14.4v Dewault cirdless tools use the same electric motor. I either wire them directly or run wires in an empty battery pac with clips and hook it to a 12v battery. Been using a Dewault skilsaw since about 99 like this. I'd like to know how many hundreds of pallets I've cut up with it. I get sick of throwing cheap 💩 away too. I though i slept great until 11:24, then i realized i lost an hour of sleep due the day saving time.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3211 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 am

The Chinese are making a Mikita battery knock off, they seemed to get HOT and smoke at times.
I found it was cheaper for me to go buy new cordless tools than get replacement batteries for my 18v dew alt tools. The 18v batteries are rebuildable but it cost is about half of a new one.
The Lithium ion batteries do not like COLD temperatures, won't charge until they warm up .

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3212 Post by Sixgun » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Mmmmmm...getting exciting talking about these DeWalt batteries. Shyt! Never thought about the 12 volt batteries...I have a few of them laying around..small ones and car batteries.....got plenty of wire and alligator clips.....

Well, I got up today with the phone ringing crazy.....must have used the air horn 10 times.....then a regular buddy of mine calls..all excited.....he won an auction on Gunbroker...a NIB Colt Annaconda......when he told me how much he paid I about brown stained my shorts...$2200! Wow! Wish I could go back in time and buy a truckload of em....

It was getting boring around here and could not wake up so I stuck my "thing" in a light socket and I instantly woke up. You ought to try it sometime......went downstairs to the dungeon and I noticed this strange thing on the rug...WTF? I vacuumed last night.

An investigation showed me what cats are capable of...damm trash divers.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3213 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Well at least it wasnt a half digested mouse that was coughed up!
2200!! Holy Carp Batman!! That's steep...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3214 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am

Haw haw haw! Oh that's funny- 'arrogant little twit' . That's what the co founder of Greenpeace said about AOC. (Azzwhole Of the Country) is how I refer to that horse tooth dingbat bartender. Anyhow maybe just MAYBE folks will start to look at the SCIENCE and not meatless Monday's to help make the planet a better place.

So whats the fun today? Six?Ow? 3leg? OS?
I'm going to start milling boards for a cradle. My great neice is due to arrive in a couple weeks, my neice can put the baby in the cradle and then later she can play with it and maybe some day ( if the world doesnt end in 12 years) use it for her own children.

Boy I'm in a sour mood ....

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3215 Post by Old Savage » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am

Well GM, facebook brought me up this picture of aourbackyard cabin :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3216 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm

GM, i accomplished getting up at 0930 and staying awake. Gotta make another damascus blank handle/grip. Get mini honda motors cleaned and re-gasketed. Start packing up to head norh, so I can play bitter old hermit in the woods again. Not much too exciting, just waiting for my morning inspiration (noon)! Trying to decide about to many minor little details.

OS where can I get a cabin maid? I'd even put a heater in the outhouse for her. 🐢

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

#3217 Post by gamekeeper » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Its been blowing a gale all day in jolly old England but I did get a walk about with the .410.
By the way Old Savage, how is Indiana Girl is she still shooting that old single barrel .410 :?:
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3218 Post by OldWin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Well, it looks like there may be a spring on the horizon. Had to clean up more snow yesterday, but only a few inches. Yesterday afternoon got to almost 40! Today is nice too.
Maybe.........maybe.
Snapped this over at my dad's place yesterday morning. Middle of March?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3219 Post by Sixgun » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi.....yea....go ahead.....make my day.........

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3220 Post by OldWin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Hi.....yea....go ahead.....make my day.........

Make your day? Nothing would make me happier!
What can I do for you, old buddy? Probably not send you some mustard? :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3221 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Yup spring is getting close, Red Wind Blackbird here today.

It's blowing pretty good here too, but the only thing I had a walk with today was the 18" planer! Spent most of the day planing black walnut. Oh wait I did walk the girls a half dozen times!

Damascus eh? Are you buying blanks or making your own?

Ok Six I just put a gallon of musturd in the mail for ya- that'll make your day!! :lol:

The yard is thawing, mud up to yer toenails! Gonna be a real mess very soon...

Griff
Posting leader...

#3222 Post by Griff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Gosh y'all a lazy bunch! :twisted: I got up @ 0530 PDT, drove 27 miles thru the snow to deliver new shelving to this new grocery store... and spent the next 3 hours cussin' @ my computer! Won't print wht I need to get paid, but prints the stupid "test" page like a champ!!! :P :P :evil: Over the lat 2 days, it's quit runnin' my internet access card right... only run @ 1 byte per hour. dumped google chrome AND internet explorer... so it's gettin' replaced!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#3223 Post by Old Savage » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Ah Six, you got me on mustard. Love the stuff. Now here we go, on sausage 😝😝😝😋😊

Now I tried running a pic of a hot chick friend up the flag pole ... no real salutes so here we are back to mustard. Mustard/hot chicks ... you guys make the pick. Lots of stuff you guys haven't seen ... some I can't put here. 😋😁

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3224 Post by Sixgun » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm

OS...the only thing I could put musturd on is that black haired gal. I tell ya....with her it would be so hard the cat couldn't scratch it...

Hey Griff...what's a computer? Everyday, since retirement I find my life getting simpler and more simpler......
Screw all this shyt...don't need it anymore....and you other two hombres from the northland....I got news for YOU....I have to go for my six month checkup on my hearing aids tomorrow morn....at 9:30!!!!! I hope I can get up.--6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3225 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 am

At first glance I thought that woman was AOC... So no I'm not going to comment.

Six by 9:30 am I'm ready for my morning nap! :lol:
Huh? Did you say something? So do you need hearing aids or are you just making use of selective hearing that most married men have?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3226 Post by Sixgun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am

GunnyMack wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 am
At first glance I thought that woman was AOC... So no I'm not going to comment.

Six by 9:30 am I'm ready for my morning nap! :lol:
Huh? Did you say something? So do you need hearing aids or are you just making use of selective hearing that most married men have?
Hi Gunny.......yep....I always like the selective hearing...worked great with an Italian wife who likes to boss people around......well, it worked great for some years and then I started getting embarrassed and I felt like I was a drain and n people from always saying, "huh?". Last fall I splurged on hearing aids.....my left ear is only 10% from Meniers disease so they gave me a "cross" which is an aid that transfers sound to my right hearing aid....that ear is 60%....I can hear pretty good now.

I went to the audiologist an hour ago and she hooks em up to a computer and adjusts the frequencies. Then, after small talk I went on a rage about the medical profession and how they withhold basic information in order to "get you coming back". In my case it was salt and if "they" could have told me the basics on a concrete definitive amount of salt to ingest, I would have not lost a year out of my life, instead needlessly suffering with Meniers. What's so phucking hard about telling me, "keep your salt intake to no more than 1500 milligrams a day?" But nooooooooooooooo......they only tell you, "cut back on your salt". Shyt, everything has salt in it.

Well...gotta go see what I can get myself into today......got a long range match on Saturday so I think I'll get me a couple of AR's with the new 77 grainers all ready and head up tomorrow for practicing......----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3227 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Well looky there! Another bag of the world's BEST coffee in the mailbox!! Mmmm good -Black Rifle Coffee GUNSHIP .

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3228 Post by Sixgun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm
Well looky there! Another bag of the world's BEST coffee in the mailbox!! Mmmm good -Black Rifle Coffee GUNSHIP .

"One Way Gunny"......that's your new name.....One Way.......you must have a camera in my house...I was aggravated earlier because I could not find any caffeinated coffee for our "one cup machine" or whatever people call these things. Luckily, I found some two cent coffee in a bag so I used the little grey cup where you can put your own coffee in.

One Way Gunny you may ask? Yea, having a great coffee without asking me over. I gotta take your advice and "join the Black Rifle Coffee club"........paaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll..... :D ---6

Hey, you better get over to that other post...Vance claims he knows more than you, "The Master"

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3229 Post by 3leggedturtle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Gm, i buy blanks, nit enough talent anymore to make my own.

Six, make cowboy coffee.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3230 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Yeah I saw that reply. Whatever.

Roger buying blanks, I do the same. I made 1 knife from scratch including heat treat, it's never drawn blood.

Six I'm telling ya just join the club, BRCC will ship a bag as often as you want, as much as you want and FREE shipping!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3231 Post by OldWin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

3Leg,

Cowboy coffee! Yes!
My old man and I have done that for years! It's great. We get loose leaf tea and do the same thing.
It's the best!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3232 Post by Sixgun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Griff!! you there? Just saw a tractor trailer in Texas doing a sideways acrobat and then tumble down from the winds....it looked like the Black 🌹 Rose.

Cowboy coffee? If you guys knew how much of that we have had here you'd call me a hillbilly elite. A few years ago my wife was at an auction and bought 4 or 5 BOXES of Seattles Best coffee for $1 a box from a restaurant that went out of business. Each box is about 2' x 2'. Gave most of it away....We are still using it from time to time in our one cup coffee maker.

In the meantime I'll just gloat over Gunny's Black Rifle Coffee

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3233 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Just about every year when we would get into our fishing camp in Quebec the first thing we did after unpacking was scrounge enough parts from each cabin to make a coffee pot. Some years no such luck and we had cowboy coffee. Most times a percolator using paper towels for a filter. Seems like it took all week to get a good pot brewed and then we left for home.
I finally broke down and bought a camp stove drip coffee maker. Now we are livin large!!

Griff
Posting leader...

#3234 Post by Griff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 am

I'm back temporarily... spent the better part of last nite trying to gain access to accounts so I could pay bills... no go. "We don't recognize this computer..." fat lot of good texting me a code to my home phone in TX when I'm in ID! :twisted: Oy vey!

Sixgun... I'm expecting you to do good at the match... I haven't been able to concentrate at the last two I've gone to... with the expected waste of entry fees
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3235 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 am

Oh Griff that is such a PITA ! Whoever said computers would make our lives better was full of it!

One advantage of the 'smart'phones and having the ability to get call forwarding through Apps. Many times I have computer and phone working a problem like you are. Very frustrating!!

I'm curious to hear how those 77's work for ol Six!

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#3236 Post by fordwannabe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:58 am

He will win, win, win, and in joyous jubilee GIVE me that old tomato post Marlin 1893 in the other thread.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Griff
Posting leader...

#3237 Post by Griff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:29 am
Oh Griff that is such a PITA ! Whoever said computers would make our lives better was full of it!

One advantage of the 'smart'phones and having the ability to get call forwarding through Apps. Many times I have computer and phone working a problem like you are. Very frustrating!!

I'm curious to hear how those 77's work for ol Six!
Let's hope he's got a faster twist than that 1:12 those old A2s had!

As for the computer, still can't print, but with some updates installed, I seems a bit faster, and the connection is a bit more stable.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3238 Post by OldWin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:44 pm

My last computer died about a year ago. Never replaced it. I use my phone now.
I still have an old ipad mini but never use it.

I've never shot any of the heavier bullets in 5.56. I don't think I've shot anything but 55gr. Ball. I don't really use it for more than just playing around.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3239 Post by GunnyMack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Think he said his ARs have 1:7 so he will be fine in that respect... How he does in the match is another question. I'm sure if he can keep the pharting to a minimum he should do spectacularly!

I still have a desktop running Vista- completely unsupported!, a Laptop, iPad and my phone. 95% is done on my phone. Although if I need to print I gotta turn on one of the confusers.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3240 Post by Sixgun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Tom....bring over 50 Ben's and I'll throw in the $600 Lyman.

Now, on to business....NOPE....ain't gonna win nuttin'.....I'll be happy to come in the last quarter of shooters.

So....I go to the club..26 miles.....break out the Colt 6940.....rip off a dozen regular rounds to foul it up.....then start the single loading as I have these 77 grainers seated out........took about four rounds to get on target at 100 meters.....give the Vortex two minutes and shoot 3 at 200...mmmmmm.....1" apart......I'm excited......give the Vortex a few more minutes and shoot 3 at 300....2".....a few more minutes to 385 meters and let 3 off.....about 3".......at this point I have a hard on so hard the cat can't scratch it....

Go to 500 meters..click....gun seized up....mmmmm....bang stock on ground to open up the bolt.....get it open....chamber another round...the hammer won't stay back........tip off the upper and junk starts falling out....pieces of primers...mmmmmm.
WTF!......pieces of primers are binding up the trigger works...shake it all out.....mmmmmm.....go pick up my brass and take a look see......well, I have 160 loaded rounds to take apart.

This is all from the workings of Mr. Knowledge. Thought by seating the bullet way out I could up the load by another grain of powder.....seems like I was already at full capacity.

Take out the 1895 Winchester and shoot off 40-50 rounds...pack up and go home.....I'm here.....the brass colored primers are factory Remington's I used to foul.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3241 Post by 3leggedturtle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 pm

You listened to Kansas to much and hit Point of no Return. :P I learned how to keep smelling fresh everyday, just sand and cut Cedar n everything will smell good. I found a 3lb peanut butter container filled with 223 brass all prepped, I get to load them up soon. Did you check the face if your bolt to see if it blew out any. Those primers look like it. Had that happen to some fired cases here when the assemblers messed up the head space and short changed it by 10thousand's or so.Of course no one thought i knew what i was talking about when i mentioned trying a "go case"or unfired round without slamming it home by the bolt.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

#3242 Post by Bronco » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Did the bullets leave a blue ionized trail going down range :mrgreen:

I hate it when that happens.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3243 Post by Sixgun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Gotta check the bolt....now that you reminded me I won't be able to sleep until I know.....either way, I have a new complete bolt and carrier off to the side....shyt!---6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3244 Post by Sixgun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Popped out the bolt and at first look, it looked like it was destroyed...the bolt face.....looked etched real bad......took a small wire brush with some 2+2 and scrubbed.......it was just a circular mark with no cutting......looked at my other AR's and they all have that same circle around the firing pin...about 3/16"....I'll clean her up real good in the am and get her ready for Saturday with the 20 mph winds. :D

One thing above the AR's......parts are all mil spec so when one part goes, just drop in another. This Colt has a great barrel.....still just as accurate as when new....just under 2,000 rounds, many of them faaaasssttttt.........a couple of weeks ago I shot about 250 rds. and it picked up no metal fouling to speak of.

Let the fun continue....thanks for the anxiety spike Turtleman!----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#3245 Post by OldWin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Wow, bud!
Be safe down there, man!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3246 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 am

Darn kids! Six you should know better... good news is you weren't 2 grains over- could been a whole lot worse- aluminum flying in all directions!
Whenever I hear about hot rodding I always think of something one of my instructors said- " and the angels sing" .

It's nice to know your AR likes the 77s now we just gotta get you good data! :D

Oh and my neice and her husband are at the horsepistol, her water broke about midnight! We are waiting for the arrival of Scarlett Grace.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#3247 Post by 3leggedturtle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am

You can thank me later fir a good nights sleep. At least ypu didnt wake up a 3am cause you were worried... :shock:
Gunny, any hazard to breathing in cedar wood dust?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3248 Post by Sixgun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 am

You guys go scratch your azz! I slept 11 hours. Yea.....everything has to be "right" for a deep restful sleep..... :D

Gunny..........that's what I learned from Paco Kelly "back in the day".....you load until you experience pressure signs and then back off a grain.....the difference between him and me is that we have different versions of "pressure signs". :D I know some guys who will wait until the rifle blows up, then buy another rifle and reduce the charge by half a grain.....optimizing a load the "scientific way". :D

Oh shyt, life sure is fun....if you want it to be.....I try......

Well, gotta get started on pulling bullets and reclaiming components.....big day tomorrow in the 20 mph wind.-----.223

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#3249 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Are you still planning that rebarrel of your 22-250? That could be the ticket with 77-90's ! Gain more fps for sure and give you better energy for those rams.

Well I went out to Easton today, filled out an application at Heritage Guild, they are looking for a smiff. Nice set up, indoor pistol, indoor rifle and archery ranges, well stocked retail spaces too. Wait and see now.

This is the last weekend of bird hunting, having a bbq after the hunt Sunday.

My neice went into labor about midnight last, still no word...

I saw a Python today, $3200! A K22 for $980!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#3250 Post by Sixgun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Wow! $3200! I paid four for my 6" nickel...but that was in '78. Pulled the bullets on 172 rds of .223......piece of cake with a press mounted bullet puller.........saved the components and reloaded the same brass with the same powder, the same primer..(never decapped em) but used 55 grainers for play shooting. Got out 100 once fired R-P and loaded with 23.2 gr. Of h4895 with the 77 grain Matchkings seated waaaayyy out to 2.340.....25 grains were blowing out the primers...manual calls for 23 grains seated to col. One thing I learned about the .223 that's different from large capacity cases.....seating them out does NOT allow you to increase powder capacity very much, if any.

Your looking to put your schooling to work? Targetmaster has a standing offer for a smith.....he wanted me to work there doing real light smithing, like scopes, parts changer....easy fixes on guns that don't require a lathe......etc.....$25 an hour under the table......the owner is a nut..nice guy but a serious slave driver.....

Ahhhhh...still kicking the barrel change around.........to me, the rifle I use is more important than the score I get....just like hunting...always used antique Winchesters in off the wall calibers......I wanna do this game with a stock AR...but I REALLY would like to use the below pictured rifle.

Got a question for you Gunny....do you think a smith could put a rail on this gun so I can stick a Nightforce or other high quality scope on it? The rear sight comes off via a set screw or two..did not look.

That would be "the shyt" showing up at the long range match with this......it is a tack driver...the first group I ever shot out of it was at most 2" at 100 with the coarse open sight. About zero recoil with the 22 pound weight. Ya think it can be done?---6

This is a picture of Ohio Ordnance's HCAR which is a modernized version of the standard BAR...the receiver looks to be the same....and No, the company does sell scope mount.