M1 Garand (camp fire)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

Re: M1 Garand (camp fire)

#2701 Post by Sixgun » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Pitchy...that baby looks like your masterpiece!......Your definitely going to need a steel rod for a shaft on the arrow for that as a wood shaft will split and pop ya in the eye. That's going to be a mean machine...figure a 5/16" rod going 600 fps is gonna do some damage. Might even penetrate Jay's buffalo coat.......as long as he don't have too many of our guns inside it.---6
Donald Trumps Wall Will Work
After 2,000 Years, China Still Does Not Have Any Mexicans.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#2702 Post by Sixgun » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm first on page 55!!!!!!! I win Pitchy's new cross bow! (Hey buddy, I'll wait till ya finish it before I have Griff pick it up.)--6

Griff
Posting leader...

#2703 Post by Griff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Yeah, I like thinking about Garands also.... but right now I'm watchin' an auction on a 03A3. And refinishing wood on a replacement base for a floor lamp, and stylin' on some new wood shelves to take up the space next to the safe... A little paint, stain, and tung oil, I think it'll be ready for my reloading books, the family Bible and various chargers for the necessary things for survival... phone, GoPro, tv remotes... etc.!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2704 Post by Pitchy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:23 pm

I haven`t even finished it and i loose it :lol:
This bow uses a 1/2 inch rope for the bow and same dia. for the darts made of wood, the Medieval ones were similar.
Should get close to finishing it tomorrow if things go right.
Lookin good Griff. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2705 Post by GunnyMack » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Hmm I think Six is gunning for my record for posting 1st on new pages!

Dont worry Pitchy , unless you mark it as a Winchester or Colt Six will let you keep it! :lol:
Nice shelves Griff ! Just throwing this out there- ya should have made a false wall to cover the safe, outta sight outta mind.
There is only one Earth. Do it a favor? GET OFF.

Griff
Posting leader...

#2706 Post by Griff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm
I'm first on page 55!!!!!!! I win Pitchy's new cross bow! (Hey buddy, I'll wait till ya finish it before I have Griff pick it up.)--6
You're only 1st because I was uploading a picture.... so we get to share PItchy's new crossbow!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2707 Post by Sixgun » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Shyt! I'm having so much fun I don't know where to start....OK, let's start with Pitchy's latest innovative creation.

The joking is done..for now........Pitchy, I am impressed.....that craftsmanship is waaaayyyy over my skills. I can build gun racks, dog boxes and the like. My real specialty comes in restoring old guns, what makes them tick, and how to shoot them..accurately...but..but.....that's only if I have a rest for em.....I'm rated AAA in NRA competition but am only a AA shooter..just cant hold steady anymore like I used to be able to...too much alcohol and an Italian wife destroyed my nerves...no joking.

Take your time on that Pitchy as we are willing to wait for a perfect outcome which we know is coming. For real, this is a big thing and will be a hit on the board. I really did think the power of those powerful crossbows needed a steel bolt as I do know regular bows will bend the shaft on releasing.

OK, back to being a phuck off....the real reason I want you to finish the bow is because when Griff picks it up, I want a finished product. Please use an oil finish and use flat black paint on the spring. It's gonna look great hanging on the wall in my gun room. Also, make me 2 dozen bolts with high quality feathers and while your at it, make a nice fitted case for it with velvet and use French walnut for the wood. Thanks buddy!

Your passionate and loyal friend---Jack

Hey Griff.....looks great bro! I like the "items for survival".....phone, Go Pro, remote, for real, we are expecting 8" of snow and then 2" of ice.......gonna head out and get some gas for the generator.---6

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#2708 Post by AJMD429 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Wow, Sixer, I just knew we had a lot in common....them Italian wives can be stressful. I feel like a prisoner; if I don't keep her happy she'll put a curse on me and I'll be in big trouble.... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

#2709 Post by fordwannabe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Hey, hey, hey don’t forget your ol buddy fordwannabe. Mrs fordwannabe’s maiden name was D’angelo. That ain’t Irish, guys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2710 Post by Sixgun » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Italian women are w-i-l-d.....plain and simple.....wild in many ways.....very passionate, wild, head strong, domineering, jealous, wild, controlling, forceful, wild, and all those other synonyms that break down to "wild". Your not telling them nothing and they don't take criticism well......well, neither do I. Italian females are "women of substance". Never a boring moment and another thing...you ain't pulling nothing over their eyes. You guys have no idea what it takes me to sneak a new gun in the house...but....I really don't have to.

Their most redeeming quality ...and most important....they are loyal.....my wife has always been there for me and for the most part, let's me do whatever I want ...as long as I stay out of bars and other low life habits.----6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2711 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 am

Well thanks Six the first part was right except about the bolts, arrows are long and flex dramatically these 3/8ths or half inchers that are short will work fine besides this thing might not have any power anyway and just be a wall hanger.
We`ll do our best on it, the next hard part today is cutting out the channel for the trigger bar, by the way the wood is Hickory.
Was going to make it out of oak but i didn`t have a single 2x4 and the hardware wanted 25.00 bucks for a four footer heck with that, a cabinet shop near by had a piece of Hickory so that`s what it`ll be.
Wives well i`ve always said, ya can`t live with them but ya can`t live without them either, or ya can right or can be happy.
Like the saying goes, you`ll get my crossbow when ya pry my cold dead hands from around it. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2712 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 am

I hope 25 bucks was for an oak 2x4!? That highway robbery no matter what! Hickory is going to be better anyway. It'll take shock and abuse better.

Well I just hauled in 2 wheelbarrow loads of wood into the shop. Anticipating the need to work on the machine while we get snow /freezing rain tonight & tomorrow. As usual right on the long for 3-5 or 5-8" of snow. Then changing to rain... So sick of rain!

Was supposed to drop Parker off for X-rays tomorrow. I'm going to cancel the appointment because of the weather, I don't mind driving in it but I'm smart enough to stay home! She is still limping a little after hunting. I'm praying it's NOT her hip!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2713 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 am

Hope Parker is going to be ok and weather doesn`t sound good stay safe.
Time to go start a fire in the shop and get busy.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2714 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 am

Hopefully it's her knee, should be 'repairable '.... except for my bank account :o ! But if it's her hip then I won't be able to breed her next spring. Hip is repairable but ethically it wouldn't be good to breed her, be argued that she has hip displaygia (SP).

Got a fire going in the shop, this time without the SMOKE- I remembered to open the flue!

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2715 Post by Sixgun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Ok....you guys ever see a sucker who keeps coming back for more? You know, some people never learn.....well, that's me.

You should have heard the news last night......8" of snow and 2" of ice....catastrophic! Power outages, be prepared they were telling us. So...I realized I had but five gallons of gasoline for the generator........but lots more in our vehicles....I went out anyway at 9 last night and got 10 more gallons.....the big trucks were lined up in the parking lot all ready to go.........I get up this morning. (10 or so).....and the cars are zooming down the road...2" of snow and no ice.....

Pitchy.....we have oak like you guys have pine......when we had the barn built, we had the interior lined with rough cut 2 x 8 x 12 oak....I kept about 25 or 30 extra boards that the builders thought they were going to take home...still have 25 of them. When Griff gets ready to come up to your place to pick up the cross bow , I'll have him stop by and take a few of these boards for you so when you build a cross bow for yourself you will have the wood. Ain't I generous?----Your loyal pal---6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2716 Post by Sixgun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Gunny...for real, no bs......before spending big money on a dog diagnosis and a possible big payout for surgery, call me. My wife is a dog whisperer/cure all for dogs... (if there is such a thing) ----6

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2717 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Holy oak pile Six :shock: nice walls on that building 8)
Lunch time, got the limb lashed on and the trigger complete so now to start on the goats foot. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#2718 Post by OldWin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Gunny,
Thoughts and prayers for your pup. I always hate to see a pet in a bad way.

Six,
Oak brings good money here. We have it, but not like you guys down there.

Pitchy,
You be careful bro! That is some serious stored energy in that thing!

Man! You get home from work, lay down for a nap, and these dang kids are up to all kinds of trouble and mischief. :D
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2719 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Careful is my middle name bro. :lol:
Didn`t get as far as i`d liked today , got the Prod lashed on and the goat foot legs cut out and the mech installed.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#2720 Post by OldWin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Great job bud. That is one vicious looking rig! :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2721 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks Six if I need another opinion I'll call ya. Sadly the staff and I feel she probably has a ligament tear. Last April I remember hearing Parker yelp while she and Winnie were wrestling, not long after she started the limping. At that point vet thought maybe just growing pains. She has a small knob growing on the inside of her knee, normally that's from damage to the joint...

Pitchy you are making good progress! It looks like a real piece of art let alone capable of inflicting serious injury. Cant wait to see it in action!

Six just FYI- I spoke to a forester friend of mine, a new disease is hitting the oak trees. It's called Sudden Oak Disease. No one knows exactly how it got here but they think it came from California on nursery stock. We could be facing the loss of millions of oak trees!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2722 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks fellers, should get it done tomorrow but it will be a late start we have to go to the neighbors and help him get the caved in canvas building off his boat after it caved in from snow. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2723 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Home made bolt, real feathers latter.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2724 Post by Sixgun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Your welcome Gunny! ......Sudden oak disease?......sounds like a STD......dunno as I "never split a black oak before."

Howdy Jay! Looks like your getting back to normal up there. Something how changes of weather can consume a couple of weeks out of your life.

Any Master Pitchy.....looking at that 3/8" thick spring makes me wonder.......I'm thinking you could put a bolt on there and shoot me with it...from Minnesota. I see the last picture is part of the mechanical "pull thing" for setting the bow. Yea....this is gonna be somethin'!----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#2725 Post by OldWin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks Six!
Yeah it's all good up here. Just been reorganizing. First time in the 20 years I've had this gunroom. Way better now.
Of course, I won't be able to find anything. :D
I was hoping I'd find some guns I forgot about. Only one or two, though. A NIB Colt Detective Special, and a KelTec PF9. :D
Oh well, one out of two ain't bad.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2726 Post by Pitchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2727 Post by Sixgun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Pitchy,
Whoa! I watched the first You Tube video and sure hope those giants stay where they are..in that cave......I bet even the Garand would not take him down..you would need...you would need.................the mighty cross bow pow! I got him!

After taking pictures and verifying the kill with your signature cross bow, you'd make a zillion dollars. They would even make a movie, titled, "Pitchy goes to Kandahar" starring someone like Pierce Bronson or Charlie Daniels as you. As in all movies, the star would need a sidekick so that role would go to Jay. Jay would drive his blue 🚙 Jeep with you in the back with the cross bow mounted on a tripod, like the Rat Patrol. I could see it now....you guys chugging through the desert in Jays Jeep passing a 1.75 back and forth. :D ---6

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/u-s-s ... -kandahar/

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#2728 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Wow - love those arrows/bolts...!

Still thinking about Garands though.

Car will be only $150 or so to fix - leaky clutch master cylinder.

Ten more cheap repairs like that and I could have bought a Garand....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2729 Post by Sixgun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Doc...be glad your clutch master cylinder is only a $150 job. In my old 89 Jeep I replaced 3 of them and each time I had to drop the driveshaft....undo the 200 pound transfer case...undo the 200 lb transmission to be able to get to the clutch master cylinder that's housed in the bell housing of the trans. I'm afraid to think what a mechanic would charge to install the $75 part.---6

Oh! You NEED a Garand...there are only so many Garands and the price keeps rising. Better start thinking of one in case you have not.---- :D 6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2730 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am

Well Doc you lucked out- if it were me the repair would have been much more involved and costly!

I gotta watch Pitchy's videos, so I can't comment yet...

Seems the weatherman was a bit off again! Was supposed to have snow on the ground by sunrise but nothing has fallen yet. Still 3-5" then ice, maybe .2" and change to rain. Fingers crossed no ice, it's all downhill from here!

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2731 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:27 am

Like the Gov wouldn`t lie to ya Six but who knows.
Glad ya got your car fixed Doc.
Busy day today.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2732 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am

Well that's interesting...now show me the remains. Bigfoot? Sasquatch? Yeti? No not the cooler!
Without physical proof I'm skeptical.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2733 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:50 am

That`s cool fellers but there were giants just like the Bible says but people don`t believe in the Bible either they figure there has to be evidence.
Ya can`t see air but it`s there or gravity .......
Have hopes of finishing the crossbow today, cross your fingers it works. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2734 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 am

Itll work my friend !

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2735 Post by Sixgun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

I really am looking forward to seeing this crossbow in action. It's obvious we have faith in Pitchy's craftsmanship.......somehow, in the back of my little brain, something tells me this is going to be "the crossbow of all crossbows".

As I write this, I'm sitting in the waiting room of CJ's Tires just outside of West Chester using free WIFI. I have my IPad and my loot.....there is no need for anything more. 'Ole Rubi is gonna look fiiiiinnnneeee.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

#2736 Post by Old Savage » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am

Six, here is the other end of the Jeep line up, two wheel drive, 2.0 L engine, 6 speed auto trans. But up to 35 mpg - wet grass and dirt road rated. :wink: My office in the background.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2737 Post by Sixgun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am

Fred....if I lived in sunny Cal. I'd have the same thing......office? Man! Your important! I bet all kinds of soft stuff comes in there.

LIVE....FROM WEST CHESTER, PA...

The mighty Rubicon with fresh rubber

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2738 Post by Sixgun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Well....the NEW sneakers are here!

'Ole Rubi is now another inch or so higher. Cruising down the road I felt like I was up there with the truck drivers.

Yep, it's great living a modest life....little things like tires make you happy while the rich guys don't even get a dim spark from purchasing a Ferrari. Some rich people even have to go to the extremes for excitement...like that whack job Bruce Jenner who turns himself into a woman. ---6

These babies will be on there till I'm dead or ten years, whichever comes first.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2739 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Nice treads Six. 8)

Ok here she is, turned out nice but not as powerful as i thought but the string stretched some so will have to experiment with that.
First is pics of the goats foot.

The finished bow.

Video, at ten feet it will stick it in the archery bag about three inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUBulVl72Q
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#2740 Post by OldWin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Well it's been a big day here!
Nice looking tires, Six! You run that in the winter? Better keep the salt off it or all you'll have is tires in a few years.
They ain't making any more "real Jeeps".

Pitchy,
Awesome work buddy! Crossbow looks great, but I'm just as impressed with the goats foot. That is a slick piece of work!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2741 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:05 pm

See I told ya it would work!

Nice looking sneakers ya got there Six- Toyo's?

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2742 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks guys i`m pretty happy with it, the goats foot incorporated a hook so you can hang it on your side.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#2743 Post by Sixgun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

I don't see any goats....what is this, a joke. I knew you had other animals but never saw any 🐐 goats.

Hey bro, that baby shoots! Yea...it'll take some experimenting with strings etc. but hell....for the first time??...I'm impressed. I'm really impressed with the trigger mechanism and the work it took to get everything to be in sync....and that thing-a-ma-jig that pulls back the string and you hang on your belt. --5

Can't you use 1/4" cable for the string?

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2744 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks Six, maybe on using cable.
It was a good project. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

#2745 Post by gamekeeper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Excellent workmanship Lenn, I'm very impressed but then I usually am with your projects..... 8) 8) 8)
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#2746 Post by Pitchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks buddy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

#2747 Post by M. M. Wright » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Kewl cross bow Lenn. I built one with a car spring for a bow when I was in high school. I didn't have that goat's foot to cock it with so gave up on it pretty much as soon as it was done. Couldn't cock it. Last cross bow I had used a double miniature block and tackle arrangement for cocking. You needed good light and three hands to get it to work. Loaned it to somebody and I guess he died before he brought it back to me. I've got way too many projects to get done before I die now or I might try that goat's foot.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2748 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 am

Well I sure hope that Six and OW had better results from the storm!

Yesterday started snowing about 7am, maybe an inch fell. Then about 2" of ice pellets through out the day. About 8 last night the rain came. Temperatures never got above freezing. Now I have to figure out what to do with this... Not sure if I can even plow it up.

Six - ya got any ice?
OW - how much snow did ya get?

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

#2749 Post by gamekeeper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:54 am

Two weeks ago on a Friday, I drove just 57 miles to the South coast, never saw a more than an inch of white stuff, on Sunday I get a phone call, don't try to drive back the village is cut off even 4x4s are struggling, Monday I drive back and its all gone!.
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#2750 Post by GunnyMack » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 am

GK you don't know the fun you are missing! Come on over to this side of the pond and join in the win to wonderland!
Look online for pics / reports for Lake Tahoe CA. They are under FEET of snow and more coming. My uncle worked for Alpine County Road Department, they would literally plow 40 FEET of snow out of the higher seasonal roads in June. Just think about a D9 bulldozer to plow snow! Ya don't know what you are missing! :D