M-1 Garand Campfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Posting leader...

M-1 Garand Campfire

#1 Post by Pitchy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Has anyone ordered a M1 Garand from CMP or advise doing it?
Was thinking about the service grade.
Last edited by Pitchy on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
He was the best little dog i ever had !!!!!
Sometimes I don`t even understand myself.

Bronco
Levergunner 2.0

Re: CMP--Garand

#2 Post by Bronco » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

I am very happy with the one I got. But that was years and years ago.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#3 Post by Sixgun » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Mmmmmmmm.......nada Pitchy......the CMP has been doing this for a long time and I can't really see anything good that's left...you know, bottom of the barrel.....and your pretty much stuck with what they send you.

I'd sooner pay a couple of hundred extra and buy one that I can lay eyes on. On the other hand I see lots of them so I can pick and choose...thats why I picked a 1953 produced SA National Match. -----6
The very mighty BAR

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#4 Post by OldWin » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm

What Six said makes sense.
I know we talked about it earlier, Pitchy. My M1 was a CMP, but I got it from the guy that bought it. And it had been a while after he got it.
They probably are getting down to the rougher ones, and the nice ones are pricey.

As I recall, ole Six has a nice one. I couldn't get it under my coat with all those Colts or I'da grabbed it for you. :D
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#5 Post by Pitchy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 pm

OldWin wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:35 pm
What Six said makes sense.
I know we talked about it earlier, Pitchy. My M1 was a CMP, but I got it from the guy that bought it. And it had been a while after he got it.
They probably are getting down to the rougher ones, and the nice ones are pricey.

As I recall, ole Six has a nice one. I couldn't get it under my coat with all those Colts or I'da grabbed it for you. :D
Now were talking :wink: :lol:
Ya i thought about them being bottom of the barrel too, thanks guys.
I probably only think i need one anyway. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

#6 Post by 3leggedturtle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Nice Garand at the shop here in town. Only $1400 with a great “new” barrel on it. I try to hold it once or twice a week. Wish I had bought one when I was younger. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#7 Post by Pitchy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Sounds like there`s a lot more rifles coming in to CMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBITG9HipEc
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Ray
Levergunner 3.0

#8 Post by Ray » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:15 pm

while the cmp headquarters were still at camp perry, our local gunshop (closed in 2012) cleaned, gauged, repaired,test fired, and graded - then shipped them to ohio.....

they came to the back door of the shop from the nearby army ordnance depot in an armored truck with h & k mp5 toting rent-a-cops guarding.....

once reciept and chain of custody redtape was signed by the smithy, the guards left.....

in the bottom of every box of garands were various loose spare parts, occasionally a good barrel and once in a while a reciever whose serial number was not on the manifest ......they were able to assemble at least one and sometimes dozens and scores complete garands extra per each shipment of 500....

after everybody involved got their own garand this way, they began selling them on their consignment rack....."joe smith" of ottumwa iowa sure had a lot of garands for sale over the years.....

in fullness of time (early 2000s) and several owners removed from uncle, I got a so called "rack-grade" grey rat 1943 win. receivered danish-dutch-greek surplus mutt for $550....

it has been several years since i shot it but it was not particularly accurate.....probably the crowning......

the last time the triggerguard lever popped down and the thing nearly field stripped itself in my hands like unto asa hutchinsen's colt, you know, the security guard at the mayberry bank.....
m.A.g.a. !

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#9 Post by AJMD429 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:54 pm

In the 1970s I shot and qualified for one that had so much barrel wear I think it was an 8mm'06 wildcat....!

Anyway, an elderly gentleman and Garand enthusiast took pity on me and rebarreled it in 308 complete with a bedding job and national match sights. It is super accurate, and that rifle will forever be cherished just because of the memory of an old guy who felt this [then] young punk was worth the effort and expense. All I did was buy the barrel and he did all the rest.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

#10 Post by M. M. Wright » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:49 pm

I just heard news that 100,000 are coming in from Turkey and the Philipines. They are starting to hit the CMP web site now. (thecmp.org) If you're wanting great wood, I can fix you up.

Oh you NEED a Garand.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

#11 Post by Chuck 100 yd » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 pm

I never cared for the Garand personally. Now the M14/M1A is a different animal altogether, I'd love to have one of them. I just seem to spend my money elsewhere. I have owned several .30-06's but much prefer the .308 .

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#12 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks fellars, i don`t have the money now so will keep a eye out for a deal or maybe a trade at a gun shop. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Shrapnel
Levergunner 2.0

#13 Post by Shrapnel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:54 am

Pitchy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am
Thanks fellars, i don`t have the money now so will keep a eye out for a deal or maybe a trade at a gun shop. :)
Waiting is for the young. Get it now and enjoy it before it is too late. I have had several over the years and kept a good one that I have killed everything from gophers to elk with it. You want to shoot 150 grain bullets with IMR4895 powder so that you don't slap that operating rod too hard when you shoot it. The M1A and the Garand do have about the same ballistics, but the cool factor just isn't there with the M1A

Even if you have to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a month, get the Garand and shoot it.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#14 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks for the great pictures Shrapnel, i may get one someday maybe sooner than later if things work out.
I seen a vid yesterday saying you can buy a kit for the charging tube that releases pressure so modern hotter loads can be used.
Here`s a link about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpqMS3tBFA
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

#15 Post by Richardx » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 am

Pitchy,

The days of inexpensive Garands are about gone, I have many friends that got theirs thru the CMP and the old DCM.
I think you could have good luck thru the CMP but you have to join a club and wait. And hope.
I found a shot out Blue Sky years ago for cheap and had it rebarreled by DGW before Dean passed, new Boyd's stock and I am very pleased.
I know of a couple guys who got them from garandguy.com and though pricey they were very nice

Richardx

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#16 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks, what i read on their site is if your over 60 ya don`t need the training certificate and if your a veteran, if you belong to the DAV and a couple others that qualifies.
I`m a DAV life member over 60 and a Vet so it shouldn`t be a issue with paper work.
I just don`t know if i need one bad enough to spend the money on now but i do like the history of the rifle and the way the action works.
But on the other hand i`d like to have a Pan head chopper before i die and a few other things. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

veeman
Levergunner 2.0

#17 Post by veeman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 am

I bought one at the Camp Perry store, or North store, in Ohio a few years ago. Has a real nice beech stock, no muzzle or throat wear at all. Not the rack grade, but the next level up, I forget what its called. Something like $600, plus another $300 in ammo. Get it out at least once a year. It ain't got a lever.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

#18 Post by mikld » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am

I would recommend a CMP Garand as a good purchase. I'm not a collector and I just wanted a good shooter so I ordered the "Special Grade". It came with a new barrel and stock, but all innards are original manufacturer and it came in an excellent hard case. All the rifles are inspected and graded and they are listed with a "grade". The grade requirements have not changed and a Service Grade (or Rack grade, Field grade, Special grade, M1C, etc.) purchased in 2018 will be in the same condition as one purchased in 1970. I believe the CMP has recently (or soon will) received nearly 100,000 M1 Garands back from the Philippines and Turkey...

And like a lever gun, every body should have at least one M1 Garand... 8)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

#19 Post by marlinman93 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't regret selling many guns, but I do regret selling my M1 Garand NM rifle. I purchased it from the son of a friend who passed away, and it was the most accurate .30-06 I ever owned, Garand or otherwise. Another friend of mine drooled over it every time he came over, and I finally succumbed to offers and sold it to him. I rarely shot it at the time, but still regret not keeping it regardless.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#20 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks fellars.
Well i`m starting at the bottom and just ordered two boxes of Garand ammo and 10 clips so looks like i`m hooked. :lol:

I`ve had this ammo belt for many years, i think its for a Garand 30-06 but i don`t have ammo and clips to try yet.
It`s marked 1942 and some name?

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

veeman
Levergunner 2.0

#21 Post by veeman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Special grade, that's what mine is. Couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks for the reminder.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#22 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Pitchy I think you NEED a garand -for charging groundhogs! 8 rounds of '06 be big medicine on whistle pigs! :D

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#23 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm
Pitchy I think you NEED a garand -for charging groundhogs! 8 rounds of '06 be big medicine on whistle pigs! :D
Me thinks your right Gunny :lol: , going to look at a few gun shops next month and see what i can find. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E.Pa..Where Trump Is Supported And Colt New Service Targets Are The Best Belly Guns

#24 Post by Sixgun » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Pitchy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 pm
GunnyMack wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:21 pm
Me thinks your right Gunny :lol: , going to look at a few gun shops next month and see what i can find. :wink:

Hey Pitchy......when you do find a Garand, don't buy dies, shellholder, 8 rd. enblocs or brass......I'll set ya up. Cast bullets also work great in the Garand......yep, they function too.-----6
The very mighty BAR

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#25 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks buddy will do, not sure where and when i`ll find one.
Seriously i never feel good enough to go far looking, it sucks, Norma and i haven`t gone to a restaurant in 35 years.
So will just have to see what i come up with.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#26 Post by OldWin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Pitchy,
When you get your mitts on a Garand, and you will as soon as you fondle one, do yourself a favor and get a Schuster gas plug.
The M1 op-rod is fairly sensitive to speed of operation from powder burn rate. Rather than try and find M2 ball, you can run standard commercial 150gr 30-06. Just adjust the plug so it reliably runs. It will let the excess gas blow by.

Pitchy
Posting leader...

#27 Post by Pitchy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Yep been reading about them, thanks buddy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

#28 Post by OldWin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Haha! You're on your way, bro! :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

#29 Post by GunnyMack » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 pm

We gotta find Pitchy some tracers so he can just point and shoot those groundhogs :lol: !

While I was at TSJC gunsmith school we had a walk in vault bout the size of a 2 car garage. One wall was nothing but garands. Some of them could be checked out for use down at Whittington Center.
Also had about 20 that were LNIB, these were color guard guns and had never been fired after the school got them. Come to think of it the school had a lot of unified stuff. As soon as a student took apart a new gun it could not be fired again- liability I guess.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

#30 Post by Sixgun » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 pm

OldWin wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm
bro
    I didn't know that. I always wondered why he's always eating chicken back sandwiches with hot sauce.---6
    The very mighty BAR

AJMD429
    Posting leader...

#31 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 pm

OldWin wrote:
    Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm
    Pitchy,
    When you get your mitts on a Garand, and you will as soon as you fondle one, do yourself a favor and get a Schuster gas plug.
    The M1 op-rod is fairly sensitive to speed of operation from powder burn rate. Rather than try and find M2 ball, you can run standard commercial 150gr 30-06. Just adjust the plug so it reliably runs. It will let the excess gas blow by.
    Yep. PLUS if you want to have a range-session without chasing brass, you can even turn it to 'full bypass' mode.
    PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
    "first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

OldWin
    Advanced Levergunner

#32 Post by OldWin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Sixgun wrote:
    Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 pm
    OldWin wrote:
    Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm
    bro
      I didn't know that. I always wondered why he's always eating chicken back sandwiches with hot sauce.---6

Yeah, half. On my daddy's side. Whoever he is. :D

Ray
      Levergunner 3.0

#33 Post by Ray » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:46 am

AJMD429 wrote:
      Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 pm
      OldWin wrote:
      Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm
      Pitchy,
      Yep. PLUS if you want to have a range-session without chasing brass, you can even turn it to 'full bypass' mode.
      I my get one of these....if indeed my oprod is bent i may turn my garand into essentially a bolt action.
      m.A.g.a. !

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#34 Post by Pitchy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Errrrrrrr i`m not happy, decided to go have a look at the rifle Todd mentioned drove 1 1/2 hours one way and was going to buy but the frigging gov. delayed my back ground check.
      They`ve done this before but usually they call back in a while but not this time so if there`s no problem i can pick it up Friday. :twisted:
      It`s a nice rifle made by Springfield with matching Ser. numbers on barrel and bolt, the stock has some battle scars but i like that.
      Parkinizing looks great and bore looks great, the rifle is on consignment and come to find out owned by a guy i`ve known for 30 years so i called him and he said its ready to roll and shoots great.
      A little more than what i wanted to spend but i called every shop in the area and this was the best buy, so now i wait. :roll:
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

RIHMFIRE
      Advanced Levergunner

#35 Post by RIHMFIRE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 pm

you will enjoy it.....for sure!
      LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS

OldWin
      Advanced Levergunner

#36 Post by OldWin » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Sorry about the hassle buddy........but I'm really glad you got one. They are an awesome rifle and have such history. For me, they represent this country at its best.
      Happy for you bud.

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#37 Post by Pitchy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks fellars, ya looking forward to bringing her home, ammo and clips won`t get here until the end of the week anyway at least.
      That long drive just gets me anymore and thanks Todd it was good seeing ya again. 8) :)
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

Griff
      Posting leader...

#38 Post by Griff » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 pm

I LOVE mine. Best rifle ever invented. Bought my 1st one thru the DCM in about 1977-78. They "mis-placed" my & my shootin' partner's applications and paperwork... so when he eventually called, they got us a pair of NM versions... Best $167 I ever spent. When someone comes along like the next Hitler, Tojo or who the !@#$ ever, I'll be battle ready!

It may be that it was the first "rifle" I'd ever shot, or the fact that I scored ~299 (IIRC) (out of a possible 320), in qualifying with it in the Navy... one clip for each of 4 positions at std 200 yard targets.

The only thing cooler... would be to have a mdl 1919!
      Griff,
      SASS/CMSA #93
      NRA Patron
      GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
      AND... I'm over it!!
      No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!

M. M. Wright
      Advanced Levergunner

#39 Post by M. M. Wright » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Pitchy wrote:
      Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm
      Thanks fellars.
      Well i`m starting at the bottom and just ordered two boxes of Garand ammo and 10 clips so looks like i`m hooked. :lol:

I`ve had this ammo belt for many years, i think its for a Garand 30-06 but i don`t have ammo and clips to try yet.
      It`s marked 1942 and some name?

I've got one of those! I've seen them priced at $55 or so lately. Kinda heavy when loaded.
      M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
      Currently living my eternal life.
      NRA Life
      SASS
      ITSASS

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#40 Post by Pitchy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 am

Thanks Griff and Ron, yea i`m looking forward to this experience i just don`t know why i didn`t buy one tears ago when they cost less. :)
      Hoping i get a phone call today. :)
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

Re: CMP--Garand--Pics added.

#41 Post by Pitchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Picked the rifle up this morning, went out and shot eight rounds at the steel plate at 50 yards but too cold and windy for any more.
      Shot flawlessly and fun fun fun. :D
      Serial number is one million seventeen thousand and some, certificate says it was made in 1943.
      I have a question about the silver color on the band in front of the sight ?
      Will do a range report on a warmer day.

Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

GunnyMack
      Advanced Levergunner

#42 Post by GunnyMack » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Congrats Lenn!
      Groundhogs beware!!

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#43 Post by Pitchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks Gunny, she`s beat up on the wood but i like that. :)
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

2ndovc
      Advanced Levergunner

#44 Post by 2ndovc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:40 pm

That's cool, Lenn!

Not sure how I've been missing this post. :D

I've had a Winchester, Korean Re-import that I picked up while I was in college or just after anyway. Even shot it at Camp Perry a couple of times.
      They're sum fun shooters. Happy to hear everything worked out!

Jason 8)
      jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#45 Post by Pitchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks Jason, i know nothing about theses rifles this is my first one.
      If anyone knows why the piece on the end is silver, if someone buffed off the finish i`ll try bluing it or something.
      Those clips are kinda hard to load and get all the shells all the way to the bottom, maybe they don`t have to be ?
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

claybob86
      Senior Levergunner

#46 Post by claybob86 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:00 pm

This might be where the ammo belt came from.

Have you hugged your rifle today?

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#47 Post by Pitchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Looked again and that`s what it says, Hanson.
      Thanks. :)
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

3leggedturtle
      Advanced Levergunner

#48 Post by 3leggedturtle » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:15 pm

1/2 hour after you left, they called and said you were approved! Thanks for the Fox Hole lighter. Todd/3leg
      30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Pitchy
      Posting leader...

#49 Post by Pitchy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks Todd yep that figures :lol: and your welcome about the lighter.
      I `ve been looking at vids of Garands and most have a flat on top of the part in front of the sight this one is rounded over, any help identifying that part would be appreciated.
      Because I Can, and Have
      USAF-72-76

OldWin
      Advanced Levergunner

#50 Post by OldWin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Awesome Lenn! Welcome to the club. Nothing cooler than an M1, especially WW2 era.
      Not sure about your gas lock. Mine is flat on top but my M1 is later, Korean era. I'm sure someone knows. There is a great forum on the CMP website and lots of info on the site as well.