the Ruger gods must be angry........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

the Ruger gods must be angry........

Post by AJMD429 »

....I was gonna get a new Ruger 9mm carbine (the threaded/takedown model).... but decided on the Kel-Tec....AND I traded in two Rugers towards that end..... :shock:

It is lighter weight, more compact, and less expensive.

The Ruger is solid, but wasn't totally reliable (I already had a pre-threaded/takedown model), and it would be paired with an ugly yucky (but practical and relable) Glock, so who cares if it "looks cool - like an M-1 Carbine"...

Now I have a nice 'pair' in 9mm that can serve well as bug-out firearms - way less bulk to carry 500 rounds vs 223, and plenty of 100-yard capability. My EDC is currently a Taurus PT-92, but at least the ammo is the same.

I will be selling a Ruger P-95, and the older-model Ruger 9mm carbine to fund the purchase......any ballpark price I should expect to get for the two matched Rugers...?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Was gonna get a Ruger 9mm carbine....

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They are nice but would be a winner if they weighed closer to 5.5lbs or less. Todd
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The older PC 9's took a big hit when the new ones came out. I'd been seeing them around here in the $8-900 range. Seeing them online for about $500 or so, lately. I had one of the early ones, it was a great shooter, but what I like about the new one is I can pair it up with my Glocks or M&Ps. And I hated the P85/95s, just didn't fit me well. I've run about 500 rounds through the new on w/o a malfunction. I would choose my Sig MPX over the Ruger but it's a great little rifle that I can hand off to anyone in the family and they will know how to run it

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc AJ, my grandson has had a Kel Tec 2000 for several years. I do enjoy shooting it, never a malfunction and is very accurate out to 200 yards. It is a keeper with several long mags.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw the Kel-Tec's are available in 9,40,45 and now 10mm. I'd get a 40 to go with my Glock 23 Gen 1.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2K in .40 S & W with Glock mags to pair with my Glock 22. I have a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel that is grooves and lands. Accuracy is better for me, plus I can reload for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

By the way, my Kel-Tec has never had a single failure for me. When I must travel someplace where I am a long way from anywhere, it goes with me. Sometimes a rifle with longer range goes along, but only if the area will have ranges longer than 200 yards of open space. PillHer has a Kel-Tec Sub 2K in 9mm with Glock magazines. Her Glock 17 and her Kel-Tec work perfectly together. Her Kel-Tec is the newer style, mine is older style. Both work the same, but the sights on the newer model are improved.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'cowboy' in me wanted the handgun/suppressable-carbine 'pair' to be a 357 Mag revolver and a Marlin 1894 in 357 with the threaded barrel, but cost and availability of the Marlin got me thinking about 9mm again (plus I do have a regular, non-threaded 1894css).

And I know if I had the levergun, I could never just leave it stowed in a bug-out-bag, whereas a Glock and a Keltec seem natural for that.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
The newest Blue Book on a p95 in 95% condition is $235 and the carbine, also in 95% is listed at $415.

Guns are pretty dead at the moment and the market is well flooded with about everything.

My guess is a gun dealer will offer you about 4-5 on a trade in.

Might be better to throw 'em a closet and buy the Sig MPX outright. Yea, the Sig is the one to get......I'd like to see how a Kel Tec holds up after 3 or 4 thousand rounds. ----G.C.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:52 pm And I know if I had the levergun, I could never just leave it stowed in a bug-out-bag, whereas a Glock and a Keltec seem natural for that.
They are for me. Night sights on the Glock. My pistol which is close to me at night is a Springfield XD with a laser sight. I also have a 500 lumen light next to it. If anything goes bump in the night at home, I will either blind it or perforate it, or both. My Bug out bag has a couple of lights which are 200 lumens on the first press of the switch and 50 lumens on the second. There are also a couple of 500 lumen lights for self defense. The batteries for them get changed every 6 months, and there are some extra batteries which get checked on the same schedule. The packaged batteries have 5 years life or they go into the devices in daily use. It is too easy to find batteries with about 10 years of shelf life for any batteries to stay in the bug out bag that have under 5 years of shelf life. My lights all use either AA or AAA batteries for lighter weight and smaller size. Some rechargeable batteries with solar chargers are being tested for addition to the bag. The length of time to hold a charge and number of cycles are the considerations.

Bug out bags are not a bad idea for those of us who live in the city.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, my Kel-Tec has about 2,000 rounds and is still like new. I don't know yet how it will handle the next 2,000 rounds.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Piller
I hear ya.....those guns are selling (one of the few hot sellers today) like hot cakes at Targetmaster. I've asked the guys if they ever come back and to which they replied, "none, everyone loves them." Now, from my sometimes impulsive negativeness, have a hard time thinking, "how can something so financially inexpensive be so popular....these guys must not be shooting them all that much." Experience from many years has always taught me something...if something is cheap, it won't hold up. It may be great for awhile but time will tell.

I guess I'm wrong on this one...you say you have two thousand out of yours....that's pretty fair. Usually after 4 or 5 hundred cheap guns fall apart. I've never heard of a Bersa lasting more than a couple of boxes.

For the money they are asking it's a gun you can just throw in the Jeep with a few loaded mags and forget about it till ya need it and expect it to work. What do these young guys say, "truck gun" or something like that.----6
Model A Uzi’s
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I bought a Ruger PC carbine at Gander Outdoors when they had there grand reopening for $450 so that was about a $100 more than the Kel Tec. I had a Hi Point and it ran with no failures , but I let it go and told myself if I get another 9mm carbine it had to have more than a 10 shot mag. It had been about 5 years since I handled a Kec Tek so for two months I looked for one at every gun store I went to , and no one carries them. They would order one in but they said they weren't big sellers. I've never heard anything bad about the Kel Tec but I wasn't going order one if I wasn't sure if I liked them. Either way 9mm carbines are fun and affordable to shoot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: the Ruger gods must be angry........

Post by AJMD429 »

......and I really need to get up to speed on using GunBroker.....I wound up trading two Rugers - even - for a Kel-Tec..... :shock: :oops:

Still I just needed a gun-fix, and have gone too long without a paycheck to actually BUY a gun.

So it is what it is.

I plan on thinning the herd some more in the future, partly for money, but mostly for 'simplicity', so I definitely need to use GunBroker instead of the local gun store for any selling.

Anyway....here is what I now have for 9mm bugout....
Screenshot_2018-09-23-13-53-15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What Rugers did you trade in? Id like to have the PC9 carbine but I don’t need third P95.. I have a hi point 9 mm carbine that looks like the planet of apes gun. Just wish I could make the P95 mags fit and I’d be happy. Todd. I needed a new gun fix so I bought/stumbled into a hardly used T/C Thunder Hawk real cheap.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Traded a PC-9, P-85, and 9 regular-capacity after-market magazines, 2 10-rounders, 2 20-round extended, and 3 30-round extendeds. Made a real good 9 mm pistol and carbine combination package for someone who wants interchangeability between their own two guns but doesn't care if their magazines are commonly interchangeable with the other guns out there.

Retail value probably 4 to 500 on the carbine 150 to 250 on the handgun since nobody really likes full size 9 mm anymore, and I know used magazines don't go for much, but I had zero use for them once I parted with those two firearms.

So yeah, I got sore-butt after that trade, but the store in question looks up the Bluebook Value right in front of you and gives you a percent of that so there's on the one hand no smoke and mirrors, but on the other hand no real negotiation. They tell you right up front that if you want to get the best value for a trade in you ought to go on GunBroker or do a private sale, so I took a bit of a financial hit and trade off for getting what I wanted now instead of dinking around for 6 weeks, and figuring out shipping and FFL fees and all that.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Good now I don’t hafta worry about trying to buy it/them! Todd

PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:17 pm I saw the Kel-Tec's are available in 9,40,45 and now 10mm. I'd get a 40 to go with my Glock 23 Gen 1.
Where did you see them in .45 and 10mm. That’s news that Keltec doesn’t even seem to be aware of-at least on their website.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

PatientWolf wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:04 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:17 pm I saw the Kel-Tec's are available in 9,40,45 and now 10mm. I'd get a 40 to go with my Glock 23 Gen 1.
Where did you see them in .45 and 10mm. That’s news that Keltec doesn’t even seem to be aware of-at least on their website.
confusing with high-point perhaps.....
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Still.....I gotta admit I like THIS pair of 2ndovc's a lot....! :D

But I'm rationalizing that the levergun/revolver pair I already have is fine (I have a 'regular' 1894 css that isn't threaded), and I'm more likely to want to suppress a 9mm carbine and/it it's companion pistol, than a levergun.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Kel Tec is the older style. It is pretty simple. Just a blowback operation and a strange means of adjusting the front sight. The lockup to keep the barrel and the action together is a simple lock that is spring loaded. I have long wondered if the plastic will break. So far, it is still holding in there just like new. When I take it to the range, it is usually for about 200 rounds. Accuracy is about 1/2 to 1 inch at 50 yards. I do like the lower noise from the Kel Tec versus the Glock, plus the sound is more of a snap. I haven't bothered chronographing it, so I don't know if the velocity is much higher out of the Kel Tec. Ballistics By The Inch shows it should be about a 220 fps increase with 180 grain bullets. More than that in 165 or lighter grain bullets.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, maybe I miss read the article... Now to remember where I saw it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:21 pm
confusing with high-point perhaps.....
That's a strong possibility... Was early morning reading- eyes bleary while reading.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes it's the Hi-Point , apologies.
Article in latest Riflemen.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

No problem GunnyMack.

I wasn’t calling you out. I was really hoping you were right.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Me too! Something about hi point just strikes me wrong...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm Me too! Something about hi point just strikes me wrong...
There's a phrase around here; " Friends don't let Friends buy Hipoints" !

I have a couple of buddies with the Kel-tec's, they like them but I doubt they've put more than a couple hundred rounds through them. I'm completly with Jack on this one, I've run several thousand rounds through my Sig MPX with one failure due to a dented case. Plus the thing chews the centers out of targets.

Doc, you know we are a bunch of enablers. Everyone should have multiple sets of same cal. pistols and carbines!!!!!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"