Comparing long term reliability of bolts and a lever?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Comparing long term reliability of bolts and a lever?

Post by Naphtali »

My query might be more for a gunsmith rather than a lever action rifle user. Gunsmiths [should??] have more opportunities to work on rifles about which I query than most rifle owners. Comparing [better] modern push feed bolt actions' long term reliability with circa 1950s Savage Model 99s having side lever safety and chambered for 243/308/358 cartridge family, how well does the 99 match-up? There were nearly one million Savage Model 99 rifles having side lever safeties, and just under a hundred thousand of the 243/308/358 cartridge family with such safeties. I doubt hunting rifles, as a class, are fired a thousand times during an average deer hunter's hunting career. So a sixty-year-old Savage probably is at no disadvantage in long term reliability other than it might need a barrel somewhat sooner than a newer push feed bolt gun.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Comparing long term reliability of bolts and a lever?

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've owned and shot several bolt guns. Wore out the barrel on a sporterized springfield, re-barreled it to 25-06 and wore that out on prairie dogs. Had to re-zero every weather change. Got a 99 in 250/3000 and shot it many years. Never had to change zero unless I changed the load. BLRs never change zero. I wonder why this is? Had a Browning B-78 High Wall in 30-06 that has held it's zero since I got it new in the 70s. Even sold it to a guy who sold it back to me and never had to change a thing. Makes you wonder don't it?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 pm I've owned and shot several bolt guns. Wore out the barrel on a sporterized springfield, re-barreled it to 25-06 and wore that out on prairie dogs. Had to re-zero every weather change. Got a 99 in 250/3000 and shot it many years. Never had to change zero unless I changed the load. BLRs never change zero. I wonder why this is? Had a Browning B-78 High Wall in 30-06 that has held it's zero since I got it new in the 70s. Even sold it to a guy who sold it back to me and never had to change a thing. Makes you wonder don't it?
Two piece stock vs one piece
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering lever guns have been around for a lot longer than bolt guns, I think they've proven their reliability. If you're looking at modern guns, the question now is which lever gun made today is most reliable.

But the Savage 99 has a spectacular history of reliability and low maintenance. It's extremely rare to ever hear of a Savage 99 having to be repaired.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

MM,
Similar performance with my pre 64 M70 Featherweight .308, exceptI do not waste .308 ammo on PD and never have worn out a barrel.
However, the Leupold M8 4 power scope has not been touched in 20 + years and has not changed its zero.
This is a hunting rifle, not a toy or target rifle, so when it works, I just leave it alone and kill game with it.

This post poses questions that involve too many variables to take seriously, but I had to toss in my two bits on my old M70. :wink:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

That's a tough question with a lot of variables. I have old leverguns and old bolt guns that to my knowledge have never needed repair. But those guns were carried a lot and shot little I suspect. These days I usually carry one of four guns, a Ruger GSR in .308, a Winchester 94AE Trapper in 30-30, or a Miroku made 1895 in .30-06 and another in .30-40. The Ruger has the least moving parts but Mauser extractors are easy to replace because they DO break on occasion, if I break something on one my my 1895's it'll probably require fabricating a new part from scratch. I do shoot these guns (and many others) for fun but even still I dont expect to shoot out any barrels anytime soon.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I haven't had to re-zero my Nikon scope on my Rem 700 30-06. I have to re-zero my Stevens model 200 every time. It is the only rifle which does not wear Weaver rings and bases. I am planning on changing that variable soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am MM,
Similar performance with my pre 64 M70 Featherweight .308, exceptI do not waste .308 ammo on PD . .
"Waste" is a relative term :D

If you aim low at the PD hill in front of a gaggle of them, the shrapnel and dirt clods take out a dozen sometimes! :lol:

I've probably shot PDs with most every caliber I own. It's always a matter of what's available when the opportunity presents, much like coyotes.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Barrel wear, think how many grains of powder it burns.
Normally barrels burn out when high volumes of powder combusts. Think 30-378, 100 odd grains of powder and barrels go 500-1000 rounds before throats are going bye bye whereas an '06 will burn out in say 2500 rounds. By burned out means accuracy goes to pot.
Granted we have better steels now but on the other hand there are many old guns that will shoot as good as new stuff.
As for safety those 99s are pretty darned strong actions. Will a 99 take more abuse (shooting, not physical)than a 94- probably.
Unless you are having issues with your 99 just keep shooting it! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Apples and nothing else.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV