Thinning Lee Liquid Alox?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Thinning Lee Liquid Alox?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like this stuff as-is for handgun bullets. But I am wondering if it might be used, thinned, for lubing air rifle pellets. The guys on one of the airgun forums are using bicycle chain wax for this purpose. Just curious. My HW-97 already shoots pretty darned well, but the fool never lets well enough alone, as they say ... :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Thinning Lee Liquid Alox?

Post by Blaine »

It doesn't "gum up" the works, or combust due to the high compression?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, hard to say without trying. Pretty hard to gum up the works breech-seating in a springer, but cutting the alox -- perhaps with mineral spirits? -- might eliminate blobs that could throw a tiny pellet off.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Mineral spirits. Try 50:50 to start.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Make sure its DRY , buddy of mine had oiled his RWS years ago and was a bit heavy with the lube. Next shot and like Blaine mentioned it turned into a little diesel engine -BOOM!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I thin it with 10% spirits and dry them under a 60 watt light bulb. Coating should be so thin that you can hardly see it on the pellet. Imperial sizing wax works good too, but is a pain lubing each one by hand. YMMV Todd
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I vote for the mineral spirits as well. I learned it from castboolit.com
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Maybe try cutting it with silicone oil. I was oiling my springer once and as I was handling it my thumb rubbed across the rubber seal at the breach, Now my thumb was not dripping with oil but had a film on it. That was enough to make the next shot sound like a 22 long. Luckily no damage! Anything that has mineral in the name would give be cause to approach with caution.
I'm just saying ! Good luck and am watching eagerly to the progress reports
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There's a big difference. In a regular rifle, there is no space between the power source and the bullet. In an air rifle there is plenty of space and the substance will diesel if it's combustable.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I use Rooster jacket on my powder coated bullets by putting a few drops in a sandwich bag and then rolling my bullets around and pouring them onto parchment paper to dry. I bet it would lube your pellets well also.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Ok Bill lubing airgun pellets slunds like something I should try but why thin the Lee lube as opposed to just using it straight? Would it leave a coating that's too thick if it wasn't thined?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hawkeye, that is my concern. It is one thing to have a thick spot of alox on a 250-grain Keith bullet, and quite another to have a blob on the skirt of an 8.4-grain JSB Exact. This is all very nearly theoretical, as it is only the more meticulous shooters who bother to wash and lube their pellets -- and some brands apparently don't need this. I'm going to mess with it and see if there is a discernable difference.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too would thin with mineral spirits. The mineral spirits will evaporate leaving a thin film of alox, and not enough left to combust/diesel under pressure. Ever consider a dry lube? Like graphite or mica?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike, I have not, but mainly because I have not seen dry lube for pellets mentioned on the airgun forums. I am not concerned with dieseling in the barrel. Normally this only occurs in the spring compression chamber when volatile oils have been left behind -- and I'm not using any.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am curious about what results you get. Mineral spirits should dry and all the volatile parts evaporate with the heat of a 60 watt bulb. Mineral oil is different, and I don't know if it would work. Since it doesn't really evaporate---it might be better to leave it alone. Just a guess. I have lubed my spring piston airgun with evaporative teflon spray. I spray it on and leave it to dry in the summer sun for 8 hours. Never an indication of any dieseling yet. Summer sun in Texas can mean 100 degrees F for 4 hours or more. That is enough to evaporate most anything.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost