Gotta gush. Sorry...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Gotta gush. Sorry...

Post by Muddly »

My M99 30-30. Have yet to find a load she doesn't like, she puts EVERY load on the same vertical line ( won't that be useful when my Lyman 1A gets here) is reliable and definately has the cool factor down.
Wasn't looking for this rifle, but am happy happy happy to have found her.
Never thought much about the M99's, but I now fully understand the obsession. Other than the sight change, she needs nothing to be just so. I could even live with the semi buckhorn if I had to. Doing my best open sight work in years!
I never understood the resistance to scoping a lever gun until I got THIS M99. I prefer receiver sights, but they're bulky and I don't want to mess up the smooth lines of this rifle. Hope the Lyman works out.
Had her almost 3 months now, and 290 rounds down bore. Tried 150 and 170 grain bullets from Speer, Sierra and Hornady. CFE223 does what I need it to do and the Federal cases I'm using have been fired x15 and are doing just fine. I full length size, but only enough to bump the shoulder back .002. Tight chambering rounds throw fliers.
Waited a LONG time for a rifle like this. Several times I thought I'd found one to hang on to. Nope. This Savage is that rifle. My favorite caliber too!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gotta gush. Sorry...

Post by Nath »

:mrgreen:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Love it. Muddly, have you tried LeveRevolution?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sounds like a "HAPPY CAMPER" to me, reckon it will make meat for this year.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No apologies necessary- a rifle shooting good is to be celebrated!
I hope you fill your freezer with it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Glad your happy and all excited Muddly....I remember when I used to feel that way upon playing with a new acquisition. Used to count the hours a week ahead of going to the gunclub...bullets all shiny and in nice labeled boxes, targets made, having dreams of leverguns, wiping down the stock, making sure all screws were tight, researching everything I could find on it........

Nowadays, I'm finding 130 year old Winchesters I forgot I had without raising the heart one beat. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Levergunners anonymous? Hi, I'm Mark and I'm a levergunner. Hi Mark.
I did try Leverevolution powder. Too much speed. Hit 2500 fps with a 150 grain and still had a grain to go before reaching a max charge. My goal was to hit factory advertised velocities with the 150s and 170s. CFE223 gets me there with the advantage of just about eliminating copper fouling. Win win.
Bear season will be her first outing. Fingers and toes crossed!
The Lyman 1A arrived. Nice sight, but harder to use than the receiver sights I'm used to. Not sure why, but its troubling. Maybe it'll work out ok once I try it. Otherwise , ill get a higher front sight and use the semi buckhorn. Be the first time out hunting with open sights in almost 20 years. Hummmm...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Stay with it Muddly, you'll get the hang of that tang sight and grow to love it. I've a bunch of them on my rifles and carbines and am in love with them. They make me a better shooter. My earliest lever is a 94 SRC in 25-35 which I have had since I was 18. (I'm almost 80) It doesn't have a tang but a Pacific receiver sight. I have tangs on 5 or so other rifles and I can't tell much difference in their usefulness. Fast, accurate and durable. Almost forgot, I have a Rolling Block 11.7x51R (got it when I was 12) with a tang that I once broke off. Managed to weld it back but maybe not as durable as a receiver sight would be. Would the back sight on my Garand be considered a receiver or a tang?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 pm. Would the back sight on my Garand be considered a receiver or a tang?
MM...that got my little brain thinking so I went and looked at mine. It's neither a tang sight or a receiver sight....I say it's an "action sight" as it's mounted on the action and has seen some action. I guess you could say the sight on the BAR
Is also an "action sight". Make sense? :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Tried the 1A.
I am surprised to say the least. Shot 2 groups at 50 yards after roughly co witnessing it to the open sights. Only had to come slightly left on the front sight to zero.
That was nice!
The first group was a nice 11/16 inch. The 2nd was 4 shots and that was 15/16 with 3 in 5/8 inch.
I never liked ghost ring sights. Too vague and very light sensitive. I prefer a larger disc. If I could've located a 2A...
Anyway. This is going to take a LOT of getting used to. 2 eye sighting is quite easy with this set up. But the issue is the sight virtually disappears depending on the light. That's what gives me concern. The flip up aperture is spot on, its the outside diameter that's wanting. I think a 3/8 outside diameter would be excellent. Getting there though...
So. The fun begins!