.760"!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7264
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

.760"!

#1 Post by Nath » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 am

So there I was in a gun store whilst on vacation picking some black powder up and I noticed some old bags with lead balls in them!

None were of a useful size but the closest was some .760".
I pondered if I could get them under ole'Bess's .750" bore?
Yes I did!
Image
And they shoot pretty good too.
This is three shots.
Image
Two shots are on the brick I was aiming for too!

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

User avatar
Pete44ru
Posting leader...
Posts: 10562
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: .760"!

#2 Post by Pete44ru » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

.

You should be chuffed, scoring the balls, Nath !

Now, add some powder & knock a hole in that wall ! . ;)


.
IF IN THESE TYMES OF JEOPARDY,
MORTAL PERIL INVADES THY THOUGHT,
TAKE UP THIS TRVSTY PIECE,
TRVST IN THY GOD, AND FEAR THEE NAUGHT.

(The avatar is me, in 1948 ! )

.

User avatar
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper
Posts: 11014
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm
Location: The wrong side of the pond.

Re: .760"!

#3 Post by gamekeeper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am

I found that half the fun of muzzleloading was finding stuff to shoot and stuff to keep in the possible's bag.
Well done on resizing those balls Nath... :D
From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away, you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear.
Havamal ( Viking collection of common sense )

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 26325
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: .760"!

#4 Post by BlaineG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am

I've been wondering if sized 000 would be practicle as cheap plinkers in the 30wcf....
“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.”
― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

User avatar
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Posts: 11244
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: S.E. Pa. Where Trump is supported and no foreign guns are allowed...except Israeli Model A Uzi's

Re: .760"!

#5 Post by Sixgun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am

Many years ago there was a saying in this country...."There ain't nothin' that can't be fixed with a little determination and a thirty ought six." In your case, the hammer (and a 3/4" wad puncher) did a fine job.

Hey, the brick wall? We're not going to be reading about you are we Nath? :D ----6
OOW BAR 30-06...The Big Dog
Image

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 26325
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: .760"!

#6 Post by BlaineG » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am

Sixgun wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am
Many years ago there was a saying in this country...."There ain't nothin' that can't be fixed with a little determination and a thirty ought six." In your case, the hammer (and a 3/4" wad puncher) did a fine job.

Hey, the brick wall? We're not going to be reading about you are we Nath? :D ----6
I still vividly remember my Aunt's response when I put a BB into her new redwood fence. :o :o
“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.”
― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

User avatar
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Posts: 11244
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: S.E. Pa. Where Trump is supported and no foreign guns are allowed...except Israeli Model A Uzi's

Re: .760"!

#7 Post by Sixgun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:40 am

BlaineG wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am
I've been wondering if sized 000 would be practicle as cheap plinkers in the 30wcf....
Not sure on the exact diameter of triple O but if you can jam them in the mouth without excessively bulging the case before adding a couple of grains of Bullseye, you will be able to pop squirrels out to 30 yards or so with the sound of a .22 gallery load. Round balls of any size that ft in the mouth of any cartridge case along with a couple of grains of very fast powder like Red Dot, Bullseye, or Unique makes for a fun day of mindless entertainment.-----6.
OOW BAR 30-06...The Big Dog
Image

User avatar
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2203
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:57 am
Location: Not where I want to be!

Re: .760"!

#8 Post by GunnyMack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm

I think OOO is .36 or .38.
I have a .32 front stuffer, 15 grains of 3f and tree rats are in trouble! A .310 round ball is just right for 30WCF.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2956
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am
Location: north of Palacios about 1400 miles

Re: .760"!

#9 Post by 3leggedturtle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I use a 223 die to swage .375 balls to .360, I like the flat in the middle after they are sized down. They shoot great out of a 38s+w. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

Bronco
Levergunner 2.0
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Idaho

Re: .760"!

#10 Post by Bronco » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Oh the joys an fun of reloading,
Gettin old ain't for sissies!

User avatar
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6481
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: .760"!

#11 Post by Grizz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm

#1 BUCK is supposed to be .762

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

Really like your flintlock...

User avatar
Ray
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 am

Re: .760"!

#12 Post by Ray » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Grizz wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm
#1 BUCK is supposed to be .762

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

Really like your flintlock...

7.62mm

.300"
m.A.g.a. !

User avatar
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6481
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: .760"!

#13 Post by Grizz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Ray wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 pm
Grizz wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm
#1 BUCK is supposed to be .762

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

Really like your flintlock...

7.62mm

.300"
CORRECT. exactly why my shot mold is #1 buck. I can drop 'em in the shotgun, or in the 30-30. or both. :D

Mainehunter
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Central Maine

Re: .760"!

#14 Post by Mainehunter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:50 am

BlaineG wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am
I've been wondering if sized 000 would be practicle as cheap plinkers in the 30wcf....
That's doable! My grandfather kept a really nasty looking single shot 30-06 in the barn for my grandmother to use for pest control. I think he used 00 buck but can't remember what powder he used. Probably one of the pistol powders. All I know it was minute of squirrel out to 50 yards and with a 30" barrel it was practically silent with no recoil.

Mainehunter

User avatar
BlaineG
Posting leader...
Posts: 26325
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Spanaway, Washington

Re: .760"!

#15 Post by BlaineG » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm
I think OOO is .36 or .38.
I have a .32 front stuffer, 15 grains of 3f and tree rats are in trouble! A .310 round ball is just right for 30WCF.
I was thinking that the flat spot after resizing a 000 to 310 would be a good place to crimp a RB....Or not??
“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.”
― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

User avatar
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6940
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am
Location: OH, South Shore of Lake Erie

Re: .760"!

#16 Post by 2ndovc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Sixgun wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:40 am
BlaineG wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am
I've been wondering if sized 000 would be practicle as cheap plinkers in the 30wcf....
Not sure on the exact diameter of triple O but if you can jam them in the mouth without excessively bulging the case before adding a couple of grains of Bullseye, you will be able to pop squirrels out to 30 yards or so with the sound of a .22 gallery load. Round balls of any size that ft in the mouth of any cartridge case along with a couple of grains of very fast powder like Red Dot, Bullseye, or Unique makes for a fun day of mindless entertainment.-----6.
I do that all the time with .310 RB for the .30 cal and .315 for the .303 Brit, 7.62x39 & 54R. It's a blast and they make very little noise, but will still penetrate a 1/2" piece of plywood.


jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"


" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 2956
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am
Location: north of Palacios about 1400 miles

Re: .760"!

#17 Post by 3leggedturtle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Ballistic Products has buckshot in all sizes from .170 up to .490 diameter. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage: The Original short action, compact, high velocity cartridge.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6714
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: .760"!

#18 Post by 6pt-sika » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:00 pm

GunnyMack wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm
I think OOO is .36 or .38.
I have a .32 front stuffer, 15 grains of 3f and tree rats are in trouble! A .310 round ball is just right for 30WCF.
000 is .36 , 0000 is .38 and 00000 is .40
Parkers , 444 Marlin , 6.5mm's , Sika Deer and my family in the Philippines !

User avatar
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6481
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Re: .760"!

#19 Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

jb,
I do that all the time with .310 RB for the .30 cal and .315 for the .303 Brit, 7.62x39 & 54R. It's a blast and they make very little noise, but will still penetrate a 1/2" piece of plywood.
does this mean .30 is loose in a .30-30? I can't find my supply of rb to check it. wonder if a light charge would recycle the ptr91 ... or the 30blackout? :)

User avatar
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 6940
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:59 am
Location: OH, South Shore of Lake Erie

Re: .760"!

#20 Post by 2ndovc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Grizz wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm
jb,
I do that all the time with .310 RB for the .30 cal and .315 for the .303 Brit, 7.62x39 & 54R. It's a blast and they make very little noise, but will still penetrate a 1/2" piece of plywood.
does this mean .30 is loose in a .30-30? I can't find my supply of rb to check it. wonder if a light charge would recycle the ptr91 ... or the 30blackout? :)
I'm not sure I've used them in a .30-30, but in a .308 case with a light crimp it doesn't move. With 8 grains of IMR 4064 it sounds like a twig snapping. I've spent hours chasing the squirrels around the trees in the back yard. They won't budge the bolt on my MIA's but I just load them one at a time. Same with the Mini-30 and the .315s.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"


" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

User avatar
Ray
Levergunner 3.0
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:45 am

Re: .760"!

#21 Post by Ray » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm still a bit confused how we started out at 3/4" and are now talking about 5/16" .
m.A.g.a. !

Nath
Advanced Levergunner
Posts: 7264
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: England

Re: .760"!

#22 Post by Nath » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Ray wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm
I'm still a bit confused how we started out at 3/4" and are now talking about 5/16" .
Some folk only have little balls .

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nath, octagon and 14 guests