Coming together.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Coming together.

Post by Muddly »

Bought a Lyman 1A combination sight for my M99 .30-30. Just waiting for it to come. Its finish worn, but otherwise looks good. Will do windage with the front sight. Might have the Lyman refinished to match the rifle if all is well.
The 1A wasn't my first choice, but there's hardly a more classic sight for this rifle. Lost out on a nice Redfield M70 receiver sight. Now I like a good receiver sight, but putting anything bulky on this rifle just doesn't seem right. I've scoped lever guns before and my first M94 had a Lyman receiver sight., but I never understood why some folk were so obsessed with the " clean lines" of the lever action. Until I got THIS Savage 99. Now I see what they mean. Used to be a bolt gun snob too. Funny how things work out...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Coming together.

Post by Blaine »

Whatever it takes to make them shoot really well for ya....As I approach 70, my trusty iron sights just don't work anymore. I might have to.....GASP! :o ....scope some of them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Unless your lucky, most of the time there will be not enough adjustment in the front sight to correct wimdage and if you do, it will look stupid, with the sight off to one side or the other. It's not easy hammering the front sight .010 to one side or the other and making it stay there. Most always you have to keep "hammering back" and before you know it the front sight is sloppy in the dovetail.

It's much more simpler to leave the front side that in the middle and shim the rear sight. Any piece of thick paper, cut about 3/16" wide and the length of the base will work. The cardboard that is the sleeve of primer boxes work great and these usually run about .015 which will work in 90% of the windage issues. Fine adjustments can be made using regular paper which is around .003 and can be added to the .015 primer box cutout. Using this method, I have rarely had to go more than .030 to "get on" and that's several hundred rifles over more than 40 years.

Don't "crank down" the screws on the base...just snug them as the fine threads are easy to strip.

And Blaine...wait till the scopes no longer work as they did when you were younger for fine detail seeing. I used to be able to see bullet holes in the target at the longer ranges...say 200-500.....with a 9x scope...then I needed a $200 40x spotting scope.....then I needed a $1200 Leupold spotting scope. Now, I have to make my own "Shoot n' See targets for the longer ranges.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

I suppose. But, if you shim, you're canting the sight and while your on at the zeroed range, won't you start shooting off at longer ranges because of it?
Not building windage into the sight does seem a bit silly. Perhaps shaving a bit off the side of the stem base to correct and shim the opposite side to keep it in place would be a better option.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yes, you are entirely correct in that by canting the stem the poi will go off to the side but.......most lever gums are not 500 yard guns and any effect in the normal shooting ranges will be negligible. I have never noticed any degree of poi in the normal shooting ranges of say....1-300 meters

Go try it...the wind will be much more noticeable in poi than canting the stem-----6
Model A Uzi’s
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sixgun’s (bubba)idea is ok, but I would use a feeler gauge and just cut the needed size. Then when and if it gets moisture on it you can take it apart, clean and oil. When you go back together it should be in the same place.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Oh boy...
Something tells me I should just get used to the semi buckhorn.
I took a quick line of sight lining up front, rear and tang holes. Remarkably, they seem pretty much aligned. This rifle has the very agreeable habit of dropping multiple loads on the same vertical line. Once zeroed, that will be very much appreciated!
I know she's a hunter and not a target rifle, and my limit on shots at game is 200 yards, but I do want to see what she's capable of. I've been very pleasantly surprised by this one so far. Even with the semi buckhorn and ( tiny ) bead front sight, sub inch 50 yard groups are common. So are 100 yarders 2 1/2 inches and less. But that's at a covered range and a bright target, not a deer in the scrub with the light over my shoulder.
Still, this rifle's rewarding the effort. By the way, I slugged her barrel and got a nice smooth push and a bore of .300 and groove of .308. Maybe this will be my first breechloader to use cast for practice!