Semi buckhorn sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Semi buckhorn sight

Post by Muddly »

Actually, not terrible once you're used to them!
My M99 wears one and I can stay right around 2 inches for 3 at 100 yards.
I read the idea was to funnel your vision towards the notch and the wings help block glare. I believe it. I still want a receiver sight, but if one doesn't come by season, I won't feel anxious about using her as is. Also, keeps those nice lines uncluttered.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Semi buckhorn sight

Post by OldWin »

I have found over the years that I can shoot fine with opens if its a bench or there is time and a stationary target.
When it comes to "active" shooting or hunting, and in mottled light or at a moving target, a peep has it all over opens. For me at least.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Muddly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Muddly »

Absolutely agree about the peeps. Got curious about them after reading Larry Kohler's "Shots at Whitetails". Got hooked on them first time I tried them. For most uses, I feel a good aperture sight is at least equal to, and in some cases better than a scope. FAR less to go wrong with non optical sights. Those with vision issues are well served with a scope. But so long as my eyes hold out, its an aperture for me.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I'm the same. I use irons whenever I can. I was blessed with excellent vision. That said, at 51 it's starting to fade. If forced to use a scope, I prefer scouts, but I don't like any on a levergun. Just ruins them IMO.
I have a project going now for my dad as an alternative. I will post it up in the next couple days.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I much prefer open sights with a bead, over a peep sight.

I recently shot a test for accuracy between two Winchester 94's shooting each rifle with Williams receiver sights and then the standard open factory sights. I found literally not a difference in group size between the sights 110 yards. But on game I have had some inexplicable misses when under pressure with thin aperture sights. So when accuracy counts under pressure, like on a big trophy, or if a cattlebeast takes a dislike to you, I would take the open sights with a bead.

Unfortunately at age 48 now, I find that the rear sight is getting soft on me. This is not so much of a problem using a bead front sight, but is bad for a post or blade. If this continues I will move back to peep sights. So be it. It won't be too much trouble, I just don't prefer them.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the Marbles Bullseye; it has the speed of a ghost-ring and doesn't block half the field like regular 'open' sights (or 3/4 the view like semi-buckhorns).
ImageImage
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "