H&G #68 4 cavity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

H&G #68 4 cavity

Post by 6pt-sika »

Picked up what appears to be a decent Hensley & Gibbs #68 4 cavity mold with H&G handles . This thing is supposed to be a 200 grains plain base semi wadcutter for the 45 ACP . Hopefully I’ll have it in hand in about a week , if so I’ll cast a couple hundred load up fifty or so and give it a try before the end of the month .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: H&G #68 4 cavity

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point.......I LOVE those H&G moulds......I buy em whenever I see them which is not very often. I have a double cavity 210 gr. In 44 caliber which is unsurpassed by a half dozen other same weight moulds I have. I have another which is four cavity with four different cavities in rifle calibers......32....348....405....and 45-70

You will like it-----6
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Also a fan of H&G molds. I have two 8 cavity gang molds, one of which used to belong to Ed Harris. They produce fantastic bullets plus you get a workout using them!

Eric
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:42 pm 6 Point.......I LOVE those H&G moulds......I buy em whenever I see them which is not very often. I have a double cavity 210 gr. In 44 caliber which is unsurpassed by a half dozen other same weight moulds I have. I have another which is four cavity with four different cavities in rifle calibers......32....348....405....and 45-70

You will like it-----6
Is the 44 210 a GC or PB mood ? I’d been thinking for awhile I oughtta add a couple of these to my mold accumulation. But now I’m trying to only accumulate stuff I can find a use for . So that pretty much makes it 357 , 44 and 45 😉👍🏻
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

yooper2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm Also a fan of H&G molds. I have two 8 cavity gang molds, one of which used to belong to Ed Harris. They produce fantastic bullets plus you get a workout using them!

Eric
Nice what are your two gang molds for or rather what two bullets do they cast ?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point,
I find pics are easier and more understandable than my chaotic writing. :D

The 44 is a plain base and is loved by every 44 cal. handgun and rifle I have

I have not tried the 30 cal. Spitzer ..yet.....

The multiple 4 cavity has got to be the only H&G in existence....a dream for lovers of old calibers...except maybe the 8mm.----6

Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun what have you been finding the going rate to be for say a 2 cavity in decent shape with handles as well as 4 cavity in decent shape with handles ?

I might add all of yours appear to be in very very good shape !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Going rate? Dealers who sell this stuff usually don't have a clue and price usually is around what any decent two cavity might bring. IIRC, the two 2 cavities ran me $50-60 apiece while the four cavity was a hundred.....I would have paid two hundred if the dealer had it priced at that.

H&G moulds, like Cramer moulds are the best built moulds I have ever played with. I've got a few Cramers too, which are contemporary to the H&G along with the same quality.---6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 pm Going rate? Dealers who sell this stuff usually don't have a clue and price usually is around what any decent two cavity might bring. IIRC, the two 2 cavities ran me $50-60 apiece while the four cavity was a hundred.....I would have paid two hundred if the dealer had it priced at that.

H&G moulds, like Cramer moulds are the best built moulds I have ever played with. I've got a few Cramers too, which are contemporary to the H&G along with the same quality.---6
So 4 , 6 , 8 or 10's that are a c note to a c and a half are relatively decent priced ?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

8 and 10's (in excellent shape and 100% usable are probably worth 3 or more. I've seen a few of the 8 bangers at better shows for 250+ but were always in 38 WC. These moulds were frequently purchased by police depts. for reloading their own practice ammo. They had the reputation of holding up to many thousands of bullets, unlike the cheap 6 cavities that come out of Lee, although these cheap Lee moulds are good for the average guy but after several thousand bullets, they peen and don't close properly.

You ever see a Hollywood reloading press? The top of the line was a massive brute and was used by police depts. I have one here, made in the fifties, set up in 45 acp that's in like new condition. The press, with its stand weighs a couple of hundred pounds.

Longevity is key to these expensive moulds. They last and I would not hesitate to pay several hundred for a multi cavity mould from H&G......if....I liked what the mould was cut out for.----6
Model A Uzi’s
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm
yooper2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm Also a fan of H&G molds. I have two 8 cavity gang molds, one of which used to belong to Ed Harris. They produce fantastic bullets plus you get a workout using them!

Eric
Nice what are your two gang molds for or rather what two bullets do they cast ?
#130, a 185gr 45 target swc and #51, a 158gr 38 swc that is supposed to be Phil Sharpe's modification of the 358429 for the original 357 mag factory loads. Both are great bullets.

Eric
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Six , I bet that 8mm bullet would work great in a .32-40 .
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 am Six , I bet that 8mm bullet would work great in a .32-40 .
Good thinking Chuck.......I was thinking that too....you know they say..."two great minds that think alike could take over the world." :D

Much to my dismay, upon getting this mould I cast up a dozen "throws" to see what I had.....perfect diameters to size two thousandths over.......461 for the 45-70......414 for the .405.......351 for the .348......and......did not like this....328 for the 8mm. That would work OK for the 8mm as I could go .003 down to .325 but it's a little overkill for the 32-40. Sizing down .005 might work if done incrementally but the RCBS 170 grainer is a tack driver.....Dunno.......Never owned any kind of an 8mm and I don't shoot the 32-40 a whole lot. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ahmm. About that comment regarding you don’t shoot the 32-40 a lot. Ahmmm.👋
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:52 pm Ahmm. About that comment regarding you don’t shoot the 32-40 a lot. Ahmmm.👋
Well, it ain't no museum over here. How many Ben's ya got?----6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hold that thought until after Colorado.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 pm Hold that thought until after Colorado.

Well, don't spend too much....I decided to let that near new 1894 and the 218 go this winter. You have first bite. I'm gonna keep the 219 Zipper as there's not too many lever actions that shoot into 3/4" at 100 or a bit over an inch at 200.----me
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got the H&G mold yesterday , so when I got to the shop this AM I fired up the pot and cast 360 of them . After lunch I lubesized them as well . I’m thinking I need to get a few more H&G molds :wink: