.225" large rifle primer size

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

.225" large rifle primer size

Post by coyote nose »

Hello all. I'm still disassembling old 33 WCF ammo, annealing the case, reprimimg with a new primer, then if all components appear okay reassembling and doing accuracy/velocity tests. Recently got a "USC Co" headstamped case and after deprimimg noticed the primer size was 0.225" instead of the 0.210" size. Any idea when 0.225 was used and when 0.210 became standardized? I cannot find anything on the net about it. Also, I assume those 0.225 primers are mercuric and corrosive (I certainly wont fire it). When did USC Co go under?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .225" large rifle primer size

Post by Pete44ru »

coyote nose wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:09 pm
Any idea when 0.225 was used and when 0.210 became standardized ?

When did USC Co go under?

IDK when the size switch occurred, but IMO was most likely done with a change to a national standard for ammunition.

National Lead Company purchased a controlling stock interest in United States Cartridge Company after the original owner (since B 4 the US Civil War), Paul Butler, died in 1918.

United States Cartridge Co manufacturing machinery was moved from Lowell MA to New Haven CT in 1926 - where manufacturing continued under the Winchester name , but only after the Lowell (Mass) USC plants closed on 1 January 1927.

Winchester was purchased by Olin Corporation on 22 December 1931.

Later on, Olin used the United States Cartridge Company ( their subsidiary ) to build and operate the Saint Louis Ordnance Plant manufacturing military small arms ammunition in St. Louis through World War II.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The only thing I can add to Pete's excellent response is "watch the resizing die" adjustment on the .33....and the .348.....I've been loading the .33 for over 40 years and have killed a truckload of deer and one elk with it.

As you know, the .33 has a great slope to it. Adjust your die so the case just enters the chamber......if it does already, (new old brass from loaded ammo?) shoot it and then do the adjusting. After that, just partially resize the case ...one turn out......These cases grow easily and head separate if not resized correctly.

I've got it down pretty good with the .348 getting 20-30 reloads and then some.....I also do not use full power loads.

After getting head separations from original brass.....in the seventies.......I bought a set of RCBS case forming dies so I can use new 45-70 brass with the .33

On another note, many years ago I fell into several hundred military marked 30-40 Krag brass....new stuff....not previously loaded......all headstamped between 1905-1911. I annealed the case necks also and these case are going on 30 reloadings or more.....once again, cast bullet pressures.

Pete got the dates on U.S. Cartridge Co. real good. For the most part ammunition companies did not use non-mercuric primers until about 1927 and will be marked so on the box. You will notice no such "non mercuric" markings on this box of 45 A.C.P. Manufactured by the USCCO.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Okay thanks guys!
Just love the 33 WCF!
I cut my own chamber on my rifle to just about minimum headspace, and did set up the sizing die years ago as you suggested sixgun, slowly adjusting the sizing die until the case just entered the chamber. What this does is basically headspaces it on the slope of the case, or on the shoulder, instead of on the rim. I do it with most of my sizing dies. Eventually a batch of newly obtained brass will be tight to chamber, what I do then is adjust the sizing die (usually a miniscule amount) for that lot of brass even if the other brass chambered ok. One thing I don't want is a reluctant round that I wind up forcing in and then cannot extract if not fired.
Regarding the primers, I have an ancient box of Winchester Large Rifle primers that mic 0.210". The box is wooden, and is marked with a patent date of Oct 1, 1878. Says suitable for black or smokeless powder. I'm guessing maybe...late 1890s or early 1900s? Anyway, they are 0.210 so by whenever these were made 0.210 was the large rifle size.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your welcome. Yes, for many years I had an infatuation with the 33. You know what your talking about and you will do fine.

Funny thing about the old guns....they have taken a hit in the last couple of years. My deceased BIL's 1886 takedown in 33 has been sitting down at Targetmaster for several months and it's only priced at 15.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD