Drilling AR500 plate steel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Drilling AR500 plate steel

Post by David »

So I'm building several targets a Texas Star a Dueling tree etc.
This stuff is a .... to drill holes in, I've actually had the best luck (only luck) using cheap ceramic drill bits.
I still need to drill the spinning bar with 8 more targets (16 holes) and I'm NOT looking forward to it this way.
Any recommendations on drilling the holes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Drilling AR500 plate steel

Post by HawkCreek »

Carbide masonry bit, apply enough pressure its cutting but too much can break tooling. Use coolant.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Ok that's what I was doing, I was dropping a lot of oil to cool but I think I still kept getting a bit to hot it was either the depth or maybe the sides are a bit harder from treatment. I'm just glad I found Lowels 5 pack for 7.95 set of bits.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

How about using a torch and just blow the holes?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

JerryB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 pm How about using a torch and just blow the holes?
The plates fit on pins that would be a big ugly for pins.

You put the plate on two pins, I drilled 1/4 holes, put in bolts (welded), cut off equal with plat, and hold it one the back with a clamp which pops off when the plate is pushed (shot).
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JerryB wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 pm How about using a torch and just blow the holes?
Right.....I have several steel plates that I've shot with about everything, including AP .223, 308, and ww2 black tip '06 from ww2 and Korea. The point being that this steel is tough and the guy who made them for me asked if I wanted hanging holes because I was not going to drill them. He cut em out with the torch.

There's got to be somewhere...even a car repair facility that would do it for ya.----6
Model A Uzi’s
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

So it was probably 7 or 8 bits for 10 holes, they were cheap it's just a bit painful to do the 10 holes took several hours.
I just wanted to know this is "right" way (if I want clean holes)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Also, if using a drill it's always easier and faster to use a drill press. It puts direct pressure straight down and the handle does all of the work. Running at low speed you can apply pressure with one hand on the handle and pour the cutting oil with the other. -----6
Model A Uzi’s
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Plasma cutter would make some nice holes
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The AR steels are Abrasion Resistant, ya can't file it, drill it, mill it.

A buddy of mine has been trying to get me a piece of AR500 to use for cutting edge on my snow plow. Of course his guy that does his laser cutting has flaked so I'm getting AR400.
The 500 & 550 steels really are not drillable steels. Must use plasma or laser to cut.

If you must drill, spend the money on a 1/8" solid carbide drill for pilot hole then go to bigger drills, preferably to TiN coated. However they are going to get wrecked no matter what ya do.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

It's possible you could take a torch and heat the very spot you want to drill until it turns cherry red, then let it cool naturally. Then drill it after it cools. It may soften that spot.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Perhaps a small change in design? Weld some drillable tabs on the targets to mount them?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

mikld wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 am Perhaps a small change in design? Weld some drillable tabs on the targets to mount them?
Well I thought of that after I had drilled and weld all the pins in on the texas star ;)

That sounds like and interesting thing to try I just need some flat pin's, that shouldn't be hard to find.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

octagon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 pmPlasma cutter would make some nice holes
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That's how we did ours. At the same time we did the shapes. Very little clean up of the holes required.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Or... weld a softer metal "foot" on the plates for the dueling tree, and drill that for the holes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Shaped charges.

Use an ANAl matrix blended with Paraffin for shaping.

Punch a cone out of sheet copper with a plumb-bob and cut it to fit into a 35mm film can. Pour in your hot matrix and let cool.
Seat the film can into extruded metal pipe of the correct ID.

Fuze and go a long way away.

The effect is similar to what is delivered by an ICM bomblet...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Anyone close to you with an abrasive waterjet machine.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Ironsights wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:24 pm Shaped charges.

Use an ANAl matrix blended with Paraffin for shaping.

Punch a cone out of sheet copper with a plumb-bob and cut it to fit into a 35mm film can. Pour in your hot matrix and let cool.
Seat the film can into extruded metal pipe of the correct ID.

Fuze and go a long way away.

The effect is similar to what is delivered by an ICM bomblet...
You sound as if you worked around drilling rigs when you were younger. The shaped charges would plasma cut through almost anything. We used to prove it by putting a hole end to end through a 20 pound sledge hammer head. It left a nice clean hole, and we could adjust the size of the hole by using different thicknesses of copper sheet and amounts of explosive. Perforating guns became common real soon and there wasn't much need to build our own. I still have all my fingers. A couple of guys ended up being called stumpy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

[/quote]

You sound as if you worked around drilling rigs when you were younger. The shaped charges would plasma cut through almost anything. We used to prove it by putting a hole end to end through a 20 pound sledge hammer head. It left a nice clean hole, and we could adjust the size of the hole by using different thicknesses of copper sheet and amounts of explosive. Perforating guns became common real soon and there wasn't much need to build our own. I still have all my fingers. A couple of guys ended up being called stumpy.
[/quote]

Don't forget the shape charge needs to be 1.5 times the distance of the diameter of the charge from the target to be the most effective. This gives the plasma jet time to form before hitting the material.
Shape charge.jpg
The simple way is the plasma cutter, not as loud almost as fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

CV-38 makes a good plasma cutter and is actually pretty quiet. Semtex and C4 are unGodly loud. They sound to me like hitting two huge metal plates together at high speed. Sort of a clang sound amplified to the point that you feel it rather than hear it. Dynamite can be used if that is all you have. It isn't as effective, but it will work. It is probably due to the way that dynamite does not really have a propagation front. It just breaks all the unstable bonds at once. Even as fast as C4 is, it can be filmed to show that it goes in a sort of linear progression. That gives it a chance for the superheated flame and gas to form a directional escape which forms into what is the plasma jet. The faster and hotter the reaction, the better the cutting on the other end.

And, absolutely YES it needs a distance for the plasma jet to form itself. Explosives have rules which you either follow and respect or you lose body parts---or your life. Explosives don't have feelings. They do what the science says they are going to do. You don't need an engineering degree to use them, but you better know something about which explosive you are using or you are putting yourself and everyone near you in serious danger. You can use C4 as a cooking fuel. It burns hot and burns well. The only way I know to safely put it out is to starve it of oxygen or let burn itself out. Do not try to put pressure of any kind on on burning C4. That will cause it to break the molecular bonds in a spectacularly rapid manner which may give catastrophic results. Think BOOM!!! Dynamite burns quite hot also. It may just burn if placed in a fire. It burns at a temperature that can burn some of the milder steels. Not just melt, burn. Gunpowder is similar. I am sure everyone on here knows that smokeless powder uses a method of capturing nitroglycerin in some type of material which slows the explosion down. Black powder burns if uncontained. It explodes when contained and subjected to flame. Anyone who reloads smokeless or loads black powder has some knowledge of explosives.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Standoffs are a given...

Before trying explosive plasma cutting I did Post Holes using a similar formula but in a 3lb coffee can size.

Standard #2 Pencils seemed to give the best stand-off.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!