Evil Roy Carbine .22LR or .22Mag?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
larry44
Levergunner

Evil Roy Carbine .22LR or .22Mag?

Post by larry44 »

I've got the jones for an Evil Roy Carbine with a 16" barrel. If I'm looking for accuracy, would I do better with the .22LR or the .22Mag? Do you think either will be good out to 100 yards for target shooting?
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Evil Roy Carbine .22LR or .22Mag?

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I'd go with the 22 Mag.for 100 yard shooting.

But both are fun to shoot at 100 yards

.22 LR. would be much cheaper shooting
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're like most of us on the forum here, eventually you'll want both... :wink:

Personally I think I would get the 22 long rifle version and get Pack Kelly's accurizer; between the wide variety of ammo available and the modifications you can make with his tool, you can probably achieve function and accuracy greater than with the Magnum version Kama Plus Magnum ammo is so expensive, and there aren't as many varieties to choose from. If you do happen to find one your gun likes, then it is much harder to track down a really decent supply.

I had a 22 magnum Ruger 96 lever action, and although it was fun to shoot, one of the best hundred dollars I ever spent was buying a replacement barrel and converting it to 17 HMR. It's not easy to do with most firearms but the Ruger only takes about 5 minutes to swap barrels and that little thing is a tack driver compared to the 22 WMR, and uses the same magazines.

Overall, I still shoot the regular 22LR the most.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The LR H001 Standard that I gave to one of my Daughters several years ago (she's now a married/adult Mother that shoots regularly) had head-of-squill accuracy up to a little over 50yds with a $25 peepsight - hunting happy.

That said, I've been using .22WMR rifles since the early 60's, and have come to prefer them for hunting (with the appropriate boolitt).

The only rifle target shooting I've ever done was when zeroing a rifle. ( I used to shoot competitively with handguns, mostly .22/.45 autoloaders.)

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

larry44 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:02 pm If I'm looking for accuracy, would I do better with the .22LR or the .22Mag? Do you think either will be good out to 100 yards for target shooting?
The 22LR will hold the accuracy edge by a long shot. I love the 22WMR for small to medium varmints, but for punching tight groups out to 100 yards, the 22LR will normally come out on top. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper to target shoot with.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a plain Henry .22lr lever action. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to use a 9422M at 200yds with open sights, it surprised a few guys including me with its accuracy. The .22 magnum is in my opinion underated.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

.22 LR wins for accuracy but you may have to try a few different brands to find what the rifle likes most. I got into NRL 22 in the last two years targets out to 100 + at every match and my rifle liked the CCI Suppressor Subsonic 45 grain Hollow point more than anything I tried even the expensive match stuff. Working with the PACOs sizer to see if I can use something else but no luck yet.
It is not the critic who counts
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If we're talking accuracy, I'd always give the .22LR the edge. Just much better ammo selection, and easier to find ammo that will shoot better in your gun. And if you want higher velocity, the .22LR has plenty of ammunition that will get that cartridge moving out fast when you want to.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you get the Henry, remember that they stand behind what they say on their service. I have used their customer service, and I own more Henry rifles now as a result. I am saving my lunch money to get a .357 magnum revolver. Next will be a Henry .357 magnum levergun. The revolver will be a Ruger GP-100. CDNN has the best price I can find. Blue steel for $549.00. Then have it shipped to a lgs where I sign the paperwork and pay the proprietor for his time and FFL work. The lgs I will use is close and just a small shop. He is friendly and helpful. That is why I go to him. I could save a couple of dollars going to a bigger store or a chain, but I would not feel as appreciated. The local owner treats everyone well, and he orders what we want. Henry gives the same type of service in my opinion.

As far as 22lr or 22 magnum, get one now and get the other later. That way you can try both and determine for yourself which is better. My opinion is that you are not going to be wrong with either caliber. I like all the Henry rifles which I have tried.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Mossyoak1957 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:51 pm I'd go with the 22 Mag.for 100 yard shooting.

But both are fun to shoot at 100 yards

.22 LR. would be much cheaper shooting
+1
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

22WMR is a pretty big jump in performance I found. The bullets are actually jacketed, not plated lead, you can actually kill smaller medium game with boiler room shots, though its not preferable, more of a survival tactic. We shot hogs over baits with them back in the day, only as it was mandated by that farmer its all he would allow on his property. Bottom of ear shots where possible, but some lung shots as well. As others mentioned for plinking there will be a big difference in price. In my opinion you can target shoot and still hunt with 22LR to 100 yards, hyper velocity like CCI stinger will get there if accuracy permits. 22WMR noise from a 16" barrel will have a bit of a crack to it in case you didn't intend to wear hearing protection. Of course we all should but just to say that its a different level from 22LR. My choice for targets/plinking 22LR. If you want to take more game, 22WMR.